QUESTION : Nexus 5 or Moto X?

doitlarge

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
QUESTION : Moto X or Nexus 5???

Current Verizon customer running month to month on my account. Been with them for ages (cannot beat the coverage). I CANNOT seem to decide between the Moto X and Nexus 5. I know this is asking for everyone's personal opinions but I'm trying to figure where I could/would lose (if anywhere) choosing one over the other. I am following this forum everyday and keep up with continuous pod casts and articles from AC as well. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

doitlarge

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Current Verizon customer running month to month on my account. Been with them for ages (cannot beat the coverage). I CANNOT seem to decide between the Nexus 5 and Moto X. Staying with Verizon obviously is not a hang-up. I know this is asking for everyone's personal opinions but I'm trying to figure where I could/would lose (if anywhere) choosing one over the other. I am following this forum everyday and keep up with continuous pod casts and articles from AC as well. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: QUESTION : Moto X or Nexus 5???

Current Verizon customer running month to month on my account. Been with them for ages (cannot beat the coverage). I CANNOT seem to decide between the Moto X and Nexus 5. I know this is asking for everyone's personal opinions but I'm trying to figure where I could/would lose (if anywhere) choosing one over the other. I am following this forum everyday and keep up with continuous pod casts and articles from AC as well. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

1) Unless you need Verizon's coverage, you should dump them regardless of which phone you choose. Except for coverage, T-Mobile is better in every way. Especially cost. If you decide to stay with verizon, well, they have made the decision easy for you. No Nexus 5 on verizon. Ever.

2) The Moto X is a good phone if you are a light user and do not care about specs. It does not have a fast CPU, but it is plenty fast for normal stuff. It does not have the best display or CPU, but both are high end by last year's standards. It does not have vanilla android, but has as close as you can get without being vanilla Android. And of course you can customize the case. The camera software is better, and it has the nifty always-on feature that a lot of people love (and that, as a Nexus 5 owner, I am jealous of).

3) The Nexus 5 Is better than the Moto X in every other way. It has a better display, much better CPU, and (IMO) better camera as far as quality. It is much cheaper off contract. I would consider the Nexus 5 comparable to any flagship phone out right now because of the CPU/Display, and I can't really say that about the Moto X. Moto X specs are "good enough" but not "great".

So I personally would go with the Nexus 5, but the Moto X is a great phone if you are not too demanding on Specs.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Nexus 5 is compatible with Verizon's network.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Current Verizon customer running month to month on my account. Been with them for ages (cannot beat the coverage). I CANNOT seem to decide between the Nexus 5 and Moto X. Staying with Verizon obviously is not a hang-up. I know this is asking for everyone's personal opinions but I'm trying to figure where I could/would lose (if anywhere) choosing one over the other. I am following this forum everyday and keep up with continuous pod casts and articles from AC as well. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Before the which phone question...Have you made sure you'll get good coverage without Verizon? If I liked V's coverage as much as you sound like you do, I would stick with them and get the Moto X. It wouldn't be my choice but it sounds best for you. I think there are less regrets going with the Moto X.

Tech First

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

I went ahead and just purchased the Moto X from Republic wireless (sprint mvno) for $300. was pretty much between that and the Nexus 5 for me. I figure if I don't like RW I'l just return the phone and get the N5.

The N5 is just a tad to big for my taste. I could probably get used to it but I really like the overall size and feel of the Moto X over the N5.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Nexus 5 vs. Moto X: A real-world comparison | Computerworld Blogs

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

First - you're in the Moto X forum so don't be surprised to see this thread lean towards the Moto X.

Second - if you choose the Nexus 5, you'll have to look into other carriers as well.

After having a Moto X on Verizon for a couple of weeks, I did a short review of the device.

If specs and speed of updates are very high on your list of phone features, the Nexus 5 is your only choice.

If a smaller size and better feel in the hand are very high on your list of phone featuers, the Moto X is a solid choice.

Despite it's specs, the Moto X performs just fine in everyday situations. Stutter? Lag? I haven't experienced it. And despite only being on Android 4.2.2, Motorola decided to include things like TRIM and Bluetooth LE that Google only recently added in Android 4.3.

Sharky19

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I looked at both and went with the N5. I like the design better and it is more powerful and gets updates faster. I also wanted an unlocked device that I can easily order from Canada. I couldn't ignore the price either :)

Last edited:

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

The worst thing that happens is you end up with an awesome phone.

But yeah, pick your carrier first.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Before the which phone question...Have you made sure you'll get good coverage without Verizon? If I liked V's coverage as much as you sound like you do, I would stick with them and get the Moto X. It wouldn't be my choice but it sounds best for you. I think there are less regrets going with the Moto X.

I agree - find out if you can get equal (or better) service from someone else before switching.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

If you like the coverage, stay with Verizon.

Just an FYI: I made it clear that I was looking to leave Verizon, so they offered me a loyalty plan. With that plan, I pay LESS (including the price for the device) over 24 months than I would pay with T-Mobile on an equivalent plan (again, including the price of the device)--even if I were to have a Nexus 5, which is a much less expensive phone.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site

You would loose Verizon by going to the nexus 5. Doesnt sound like you want to do that.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I was facing this decision as well. I went Moto X for a couple of reasons.
1. Active notifications: I'm checking my phone for notifications all the time. Anything that makes that a little quicker is okay by me.
2. Trusted Bluetooth device and NFC unlock: It is a great idea to PIN lock your device. As we put more and more sensitive information on our phones this becomes even more important. These features give you the security you need without the inconvinience of entering a PIN every time you unlock your phone. I think these options and options like the fingerprint scanner on the iPhone 5S are going to be needed on more and more devices.
3. Size: Serious, the Moto X has a 4.7" screen and is barely bigger than an iPhone 5. That is amazing.
4. I'm on a family plan: Since I am on a family plan, I only pay $52 a line for unlimitted talk, text, and more data than we can use. Prepaid wouldn't save me a lot of money and T-Mobile's coverage is a deal breaker for me, so the Nexus 5 being unlocked, off contract, and allowing me to go to a prepaid plan was not an advantage for me. I'll be paying the same whether or not I'm under contract, so why not take advantage of the subsidy.
5. Slow camera. Camera quality is only one part of the camera experience. Most of my pictures are of things happening spontaneously. So quick launch, quick focus, and quick capture are important to me. Between the Nexus 5's slow auto focus and the ability to to launch the Moto X camera quickly, the X's camera experience trumps the Nexus 5s for my use case. If yoiu mostly take staged shots that you take time to set up and frame, the Nexus 5 will be the better camera for you.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
As much as I love the Nexus 5, I'd still choose the Moto X as of right now. Unless it comes down to price and you have to pay off contract, in which case I'm heavily leaning towards the Nexus 5.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta