Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default QUESTION : Moto X or Nexus 5???

Current Verizon customer running month to month on my account. Been with them for ages (cannot beat the coverage). I CANNOT seem to decide between the Moto X and Nexus 5. I know this is asking for everyone's personal opinions but I'm trying to figure where I could/would lose (if anywhere) choosing one over the other. I am following this forum everyday and keep up with continuous pod casts and articles from AC as well. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default QUESTION : Nexus 5 or Moto X?

Current Verizon customer running month to month on my account. Been with them for ages (cannot beat the coverage). I CANNOT seem to decide between the Nexus 5 and Moto X. Staying with Verizon obviously is not a hang-up. I know this is asking for everyone's personal opinions but I'm trying to figure where I could/would lose (if anywhere) choosing one over the other. I am following this forum everyday and keep up with continuous pod casts and articles from AC as well. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Global Posts
    2,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Default Re: QUESTION : Moto X or Nexus 5???

Quote Originally Posted by doitlarge View Post
    Current Verizon customer running month to month on my account. Been with them for ages (cannot beat the coverage). I CANNOT seem to decide between the Moto X and Nexus 5. I know this is asking for everyone's personal opinions but I'm trying to figure where I could/would lose (if anywhere) choosing one over the other. I am following this forum everyday and keep up with continuous pod casts and articles from AC as well. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
    1) Unless you need Verizon's coverage, you should dump them regardless of which phone you choose. Except for coverage, T-Mobile is better in every way. Especially cost. If you decide to stay with verizon, well, they have made the decision easy for you. No Nexus 5 on verizon. Ever.

2) The Moto X is a good phone if you are a light user and do not care about specs. It does not have a fast CPU, but it is plenty fast for normal stuff. It does not have the best display or CPU, but both are high end by last year's standards. It does not have vanilla android, but has as close as you can get without being vanilla Android. And of course you can customize the case. The camera software is better, and it has the nifty always-on feature that a lot of people love (and that, as a Nexus 5 owner, I am jealous of).

3) The Nexus 5 Is better than the Moto X in every other way. It has a better display, much better CPU, and (IMO) better camera as far as quality. It is much cheaper off contract. I would consider the Nexus 5 comparable to any flagship phone out right now because of the CPU/Display, and I can't really say that about the Moto X. Moto X specs are "good enough" but not "great".

So I personally would go with the Nexus 5, but the Moto X is a great phone if you are not too demanding on Specs.
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x likes this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Nexus 5 is compatible with Verizon's network.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Default Re: QUESTION : Nexus 5 or Moto X?

Nexus 5 vs. Moto X: A real-world comparison | Computerworld Blogs

Moto X is nice looking and can be real cheap if you go on a contract. But Nexus 5 does have better hardwares.
    Thanked by 2:
    doitlargeRy 
    Ry likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by sydneycooper1979 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Nexus 5 is compatible with Verizon's network.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    you are correct.

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

Thanked by 4:
    Ry, lisainsf, JimBen73 and 2 others like this.

Global Posts
    537 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Current Verizon customer running month to month on my account. Been with them for ages (cannot beat the coverage). I CANNOT seem to decide between the Nexus 5 and Moto X. Staying with Verizon obviously is not a hang-up. I know this is asking for everyone's personal opinions but I'm trying to figure where I could/would lose (if anywhere) choosing one over the other. I am following this forum everyday and keep up with continuous pod casts and articles from AC as well. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
    Before the which phone question...Have you made sure you'll get good coverage without Verizon? If I liked V's coverage as much as you sound like you do, I would stick with them and get the Moto X. It wouldn't be my choice but it sounds best for you. I think there are less regrets going with the Moto X.
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.4(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.4), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.4) AT&T The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...
    Thanked by 2:
    doitlargeRy 
    Ry likes this.

I went ahead and just purchased the Moto X from Republic wireless (sprint mvno) for $300. was pretty much between that and the Nexus 5 for me. I figure if I don't like RW I'l just return the phone and get the N5.

The N5 is just a tad to big for my taste. I could probably get used to it but I really like the overall size and feel of the Moto X over the N5.
    Chex313 likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,314 Global Posts

Nexus 5 vs. Moto X: A real-world comparison | Computerworld Blogs
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
    JimBen73 and paisley99 like this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,314 Global Posts

First - you're in the Moto X forum so don't be surprised to see this thread lean towards the Moto X.

Second - if you choose the Nexus 5, you'll have to look into other carriers as well.

After having a Moto X on Verizon for a couple of weeks, I did a short review of the device.

If specs and speed of updates are very high on your list of phone features, the Nexus 5 is your only choice.

If a smaller size and better feel in the hand are very high on your list of phone featuers, the Moto X is a solid choice.

Despite it's specs, the Moto X performs just fine in everyday situations. Stutter? Lag? I haven't experienced it. And despite only being on Android 4.2.2, Motorola decided to include things like TRIM and Bluetooth LE that Google only recently added in Android 4.3.

Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Thanked by:

I looked at both and went with the N5. I like the design better and it is more powerful and gets updates faster. I also wanted an unlocked device that I can easily order from Canada. I couldn't ignore the price either :-)
    Last edited by Sharky19; 11-15-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    big_time2 likes this.

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

The worst thing that happens is you end up with an awesome phone.

But yeah, pick your carrier first.
    Thanked by:
    MikeLip, JimBen73 and paisley99 like this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,314 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chex313 View Post
    Before the which phone question...Have you made sure you'll get good coverage without Verizon? If I liked V's coverage as much as you sound like you do, I would stick with them and get the Moto X. It wouldn't be my choice but it sounds best for you. I think there are less regrets going with the Moto X.
    I agree - find out if you can get equal (or better) service from someone else before switching.

Thanked by:

If you like the coverage, stay with Verizon.

Just an FYI: I made it clear that I was looking to leave Verizon, so they offered me a loyalty plan. With that plan, I pay LESS (including the price for the device) over 24 months than I would pay with T-Mobile on an equivalent plan (again, including the price of the device)--even if I were to have a Nexus 5, which is a much less expensive phone.
    Thanked by:
    JimBen73 likes this.

You would loose Verizon by going to the nexus 5. Doesnt sound like you want to do that.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,314 Global Posts

A video to consider -

Quote Originally Posted by JungleLarry View Post

Thanked by:
    clevin 
    big_time2 likes this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I agree - find out if you can get equal (or better) service from someone else before switching.
    I live in Hampton Roads in Virginia. We have good service from Verizon, AT&T, T-Mo. Sprint is decent.

I was facing this decision as well. I went Moto X for a couple of reasons.
    1. Active notifications: I'm checking my phone for notifications all the time. Anything that makes that a little quicker is okay by me.
    2. Trusted Bluetooth device and NFC unlock: It is a great idea to PIN lock your device. As we put more and more sensitive information on our phones this becomes even more important. These features give you the security you need without the inconvinience of entering a PIN every time you unlock your phone. I think these options and options like the fingerprint scanner on the iPhone 5S are going to be needed on more and more devices.
    3. Size: Serious, the Moto X has a 4.7" screen and is barely bigger than an iPhone 5. That is amazing.
    4. I'm on a family plan: Since I am on a family plan, I only pay $52 a line for unlimitted talk, text, and more data than we can use. Prepaid wouldn't save me a lot of money and T-Mobile's coverage is a deal breaker for me, so the Nexus 5 being unlocked, off contract, and allowing me to go to a prepaid plan was not an advantage for me. I'll be paying the same whether or not I'm under contract, so why not take advantage of the subsidy.
    5. Slow camera. Camera quality is only one part of the camera experience. Most of my pictures are of things happening spontaneously. So quick launch, quick focus, and quick capture are important to me. Between the Nexus 5's slow auto focus and the ability to to launch the Moto X camera quickly, the X's camera experience trumps the Nexus 5s for my use case. If yoiu mostly take staged shots that you take time to set up and frame, the Nexus 5 will be the better camera for you.
    Thanked by:

As much as I love the Nexus 5, I'd still choose the Moto X as of right now. Unless it comes down to price and you have to pay off contract, in which case I'm heavily leaning towards the Nexus 5.
    big_time2 likes this.

It is a simple choice between the N5 and MX. A unlocked Moto X is $620 and a Nexus 5 is $349.

If you want to be locked into a 2 year network contract with an expensive monthly service charge pick the Moto X with a subsided contract where you over pay for your monthly service for two years.

If you want to avoid network contracts that lock you in for 2 years and pay much less for network service charges monthly, then buy the N5. Depending on where you live you could have just as good of signal quality or in my case better service with a discount network over a big national brand like AT&T.

With T-Mobile and Sprint charging $449 for a N5 with only 16GB if you break their 2 year contract is just nuts when you can buy the N5 with 32GB for $399 from Google unlocked.
    Last edited by Shilohcane; 11-15-2013 at 03:31 PM.
    QWIKSTRIKE likes this.

Global Posts
    2,774 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    It is a simple choice between the N5 and MX. If you want to be locked into a 2 year network contract with an expensive monthly service charge pick the Moto X. If you want to avoid network contracts and pay much less for network service charges monthly buy the N5 and pick a good plan. Depending on where you live you have just as good of service or in my case better with a discount network over a big national brand like AT&T.

With T-Mobile and Sprint charging $449 for a N5 with only 16GB and a 2 year contract is just nuts when you can buy the N5 with 32GB for $399 from Google.
    T-Mobile has no contract. Your "contract" is only as long as it takes you to pay off the phone. If you pay double the minimum each month, your "contract" is cut in half. They do not even charge interest.

The phone is more expensive because they are not subsidizing it like Google is...they have to buy the hardware direct from LG.
    big_time2 and Ry like this.

Global Posts
    2,774 Global Posts
    ROM

Current Verizon customer running month to month on my account. Been with them for ages (cannot beat the coverage).
    Which is true...there are no carriers that can match Verizon's coverage.

If coverage is a deal breaker for you, then your choice is made. Moto X. you cannot get Nexus phones on Verizon anymore.

With T-Mobile and Sprint charging $449 for a N5 with only 16GB and a 2 year contract is just nuts when you can buy the N5 with 32GB for $399 from Google.
    T-Mobile doesn't have 2 year contract on services, customers can pay off EIP anytime they want.

IWith T-Mobile and Sprint charging $449 for a N5 with only 16GB and a 2 year contract is just nuts when you can buy the N5 with 32GB for $399 from Google unlocked.
    It is $149 with a 2 yr deal, and it DOES make sense if you are happy with your carrier and you are going to use them for the next two years anyway.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast