Phone heats up

axis.

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Surprised nobody has posted anything about this, there have been a couple complaints but it doesn't seem to be a common problem for the most part.

For me, sometimes even regular browsing on FB, Chrome, or 9gag causes my phone to heat up, especially while playing games and especially while charging. Is this something normal with everyone else? It isn't burning hot but it definitely does get fairly warm compared to my other phones.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Everything else seems to run pretty finely (no dead pixels, buttons aren't annoying, etc.)

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
If you mean the warming of the powerful multi-core processor, no need to worry about ... unless its heat affects the battery's temperature.
What you'd look it's the battery's temperature ... because it's the phone's most sensitive component.

The Li-Ion battery's allowed max temperature is for discharging 60C (140F) and for charging 45C (113F).
If the battery remains below this temperatures that means it doesn't represent any danger.
But high temperatures of the battery on the limits over very extended periods of time will decrease some of the battery's lifetime ... I don't care about but others might :D

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am not a game-player but use the web a great deal as well as audio books and music; with this normal usage, my Nexus 5 never feels anything much above "cool" to the touch.

You can get the current temperature by opening the phone app and dialing *#*#4636#*#* and then tapping Battery information. Mine is currently at 29.1 deg C (84.4 deg F).

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I am not a game-player but use the web a great deal as well as audio books and music; with this normal usage, my Nexus 5 never feels anything much above "cool" to the touch.

You can get the current temperature by opening the phone app and dialing *#*#4636#*#* and then tapping Battery information. Mine is currently at 29.1 deg C (84.4 deg F).

That seems to be where I run also.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
The phone does heat up with heavy screen on usage while charging, but not that much. I'm not really concerned about it.

Still, I'm curious. How do you find the battery temperature? Is it a native setting or do you have to get an app?

Posted via Android Central App

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
... How do you find the battery temperature? Is it a native setting or do you have to get an app?
I use 'Battery Monitor Widget'. The app logs the battery's figures, eg. amperage, and show them in a graph by time, temperature too ... and even the actual figures on the notification bar if you like ... :)

Last edited:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I use 'Battery Monitor Widget'. The app logs the battery's figures, eg. amperage, and show them in a graph by time, temperature too ... and even the actual figures on the notification bar if you like ... :)

Does it work with KitKat? Apparently most battery appsv don't...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463