Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Default Re: Straight Talk and LTE on AT&T SIM with the Nexus 5 is sweet

Hi,

Are you able to receive text attachments? Like pictures?

I used the above APN setting for my nexus 5 and can make calls, get LTE, send text and text attachments and even recieve texts. BUT I can't receive any pics thru text.

Can anyone please help me out?

Thanks!

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

MMS has always worked for me (one of the first things I tested on straight talk). I was using the same settings as OP before, but I had "APN Type" blank. I was getting about 3-5 Mbps down and 2-4 Mbps up in Reno in a place that gets ok reception according to AT&T's heat map. I added in OP's APN Type settings and I'm getting about 10-15 Mbps down and 4-7 Mbps up now, thanks!

My first result after adding the apn type:

Quote Originally Posted by andrewaoe View Post
    Hi,

Are you able to receive text attachments? Like pictures?

I used the above APN setting for my nexus 5 and can make calls, get LTE, send text and text attachments and even recieve texts. BUT I can't receive any pics thru text.

Can anyone please help me out?

Thanks!
    Straight Talk and LTE on AT&T SIM with the Nexus 5 is sweet-2013-11-20-04.36.36.jpgStraight Talk and LTE on AT&T SIM with the Nexus 5 is sweet-2013-11-20-04.36.49.jpgStraight Talk and LTE on AT&T SIM with the Nexus 5 is sweet-2013-11-20-04.36.57.jpg

Here are my settings. Hope this helps.
    Thanked by:
    vanack 
    vanack likes this.

I recently (around Nov 10 2013) bought a new ATT compatible microsim for my new Nexus 5. I have 3G. But I do not seem to have any 4g, even in places where sensorly shows there is a strong ATT 4g signal. How can I confirm that straight talk sent me a new sim? The model number on the blue card that contained the sim appears to be TF64PSIMC4MB

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geronimocrow View Post
    I recently (around Nov 10 2013) bought a new ATT compatible microsim for my new Nexus 5. I have 3G. But I do not seem to have any 4g, even in places where sensorly shows there is a strong ATT 4g signal. How can I confirm that straight talk sent me a new sim? The model number on the blue card that contained the sim appears to be TF64PSIMC4MB
    Did you change your APN to the configuration above? The model number you listed matches what I just installed recently on my N5 and with the APN listed in this thread, I have LTE data.

Same as above, mirrored the APN settings above and no MMS. Coming straight from Sprint and new to Straight Talk with Nexus 5.

That's still really poor for LTE. I've only used Verizon's LTE but AT&T is supposed to be faster in most places although coverage is not as good.

Quote Originally Posted by voghan View Post
    You entered those values then rebooted your phone? I'd double check. I know I had a typo in mine and that is why I didn't get MMS working. I'm seeing double digit download speeds after using those APN values.

Attachment 92497
    iPhone 5s-Verizon
    Moto X Verizon
    Nexus 7 2013
    Nexus 10
    iPad Air-Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by snookasnoo View Post
    That's still really poor for LTE. I've only used Verizon's LTE but AT&T is supposed to be faster in most places although coverage is not as good.
    The upload speed is poor compared to Verizon in my experience but then again I'm paying about $55 less a month than I did with Verizon.

Global Posts
    340 Global Posts

I'm just curious, those that switched from Verizon to straight talk, were you able to successfully port your number to ST, and how long did it take? I read one poster had a difficulty, and would like to know what that would be. My wife and I are looking to switch from Verizon to ST to save us money in the long run, but we'll be paying that ETF in order to port our numbers and cancel our service. Thx in advance for the help!
    Live, learn, live on...

Quote Originally Posted by xolanir View Post
    I'm just curious, those that switched from Verizon to straight talk, were you able to successfully port your number to ST, and how long did it take? I read one poster had a difficulty, and would like to know what that would be. My wife and I are looking to switch from Verizon to ST to save us money in the long run, but we'll be paying that ETF in order to port our numbers and cancel our service. Thx in advance for the help!
    I remember last year when I was porting from vz to st it was really painless. The whole procedure took no more than 10 minutes. This was all done on the website, no cs call. YMMV

Sent from my HammerHead ()

Global Posts
    340 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    I remember last year when I was porting from vz to st it was really painless. The whole procedure took no more than 10 minutes. This was all done on the website, no cs call. YMMV

Thx for the response! By any chance, are you using the Nexus 5 on ST, if not, what device? I'm looking to get the N5 when switching from Verizon and my Galaxy Nexus, and I've been reading that some people have been having s difficult time getting LTE and MMS to work with ST.

Edit: so I went back in the thread and saw that you're using the N5 on ST (not stalking...lol!). Are you still having good LTE reception with your device, and is your MMS working properly?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Live, learn, live on...

Quote Originally Posted by xolanir View Post
    Thx for the response! By any chance, are you using the Nexus 5 on ST, if not, what device? I'm looking to get the N5 when switching from Verizon and my Galaxy Nexus, and I've been reading that some people have been having s difficult time getting LTE and MMS to work with ST.

Edit: so I went back in the thread and saw that you're using the N5 on ST (not stalking...lol!). Are you still having good LTE reception with your device, and is your MMS working properly?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Yup activated it for the n4, then one year later pop the same sim in the n5. Lte works fine albeit a bit slow in my area.

I text alot but have not sent an mms so I can't say.

When I left vz last year, it was a breath of fresh air. Slight learning curve with gsm, sims, apns etc. Save so much money!

xolanir likes this.

Global Posts
    340 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    Yup activated it for the n4, then one year later pop the same sim in the n5. Lte works fine albeit a bit slow in my area.

I text alot but have not sent an mms so I can't say.

When I left vz last year, it was a breath of fresh air. Slight learning curve with gsm, sims, apns etc. Save so much money!

Thx again!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    Live, learn, live on...

I have a nexus 5 on straight talk in Chicago. LTE and MMS work fine.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I talk a lot on my phone. How is the call clarity?

Quote Originally Posted by r1mayer View Post
    I talk a lot on my phone. How is the call clarity?
    Sounds good. That said the moto x is noticeably clearer than the nexus 5

Quote Originally Posted by tw33k2514 View Post
    Sounds good. That said the moto x is noticeably clearer than the nexus 5

Really?? will i have problems with the nexus 5 call clarity. My order for the nexus 5 hasn't been shipped yet. if this is going to be an issue maybe i should cancel it

Quote Originally Posted by r1mayer View Post
    Really?? will i have problems with the nexus 5 call clarity. My order for the nexus 5 hasn't been shipped yet. if this is going to be an issue maybe i should cancel it
    Honestly i didn't notice until I used the moto x. So you should be fine. Its not that the nexus 5 has bad call quality. Its just that the moto x is extremely good.

do not understand the apn type response...are we supposed to put all the entries you have there in?

We got the nexus 5 a few days ago and had apn issues as well...first straight talk rep gave us wrong setting...the old ATT and Cingular settings..called back and got someone else and it went right in and up but she must have done something with our permissions as she gave me these settings which had tried and faiIed.

Hi, since AT&T offer LTE speeds, but T-Mobile does not, how do you distinguish which sim card you have. I ordered an AT&T micro sim card online from StraightTalk but it does not identify itself as being the one from AT&T which I obviously would like. Thanks.

How long should it take for changes to take effect? I have had my phone activated for about a day and I have bounced back and forth between APNs in an effort to get a successful connection. I do not think there is 4G coverage where I am. Do I need to select a lower band or will the phone do it automatically? I couldn't access the Internet on data no matter what I tried today, but I think MMS is working. I can make calls. Any ideas? I just get an R next to my signal bar, sometimes an E if I fiddle with Network operators. Does this mean it's working and there's just no coverage? Or does it mean I really have a connection issue?
    Last edited by kw1999; 12-09-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Provide more info. on my situation.

does CCF - "Conditional Call Forwarding" for Google Voice "LITE" work?

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    ROM
    Shiny 4.3 with WillyJay's

Google Voice works, Receive MMS works (took 5 days to activate)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus Shiny 4.3

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Quote Originally Posted by Star-Lord View Post
    What about a tmobile sim on ST? I wouldn't mind the $45 unlimited everything but I don't want to be throttled after usage.
    Check out Solavei. They use Tmobile's towers. $50 unlimited everything and 5gb of data. Works great w/ LTE on my lady's N4. That's the plan I'd use if I didn't find the $30 Tmobile plan w/ only 100 mins talk sufficient. AC member runtmms hooked us up with a free sim , too (she gets a little break for signing folks up). Just PM her.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast