Straight Talk and LTE on AT&T SIM with the Nexus 5 is sweet

xxjoStaxx

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I would kill for my LTE to work, but for some reason, having tried every single APN and only one working at all (tfdata), I can't even get HSPA+ (4G) on my Nexus. Need some help here....

Posted via Android Central App

blackomen

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
That's weird I'm using tfdata and let is working and h+ takes over fine when I'm in the boondocks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

xxjoStaxx

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I know for a fact that I should have H+, but nothing but the H is showing up next to my signal, which is full. I can't figure it out, and I have a feeling ST customer service won't be any help, but I'm still gonna call them in a few minutes. Was up all night last night again messing with this, and got the same results. Ugh....

- Just called Straight Talk, and told them I have tried all three different APN settings. I don't get LTE where I live, but I should be getting 4G (HSPA+), and I'm not, so since I can't get LTE, she had me change preferred network type from LTE to 3G (which doesn't make sense to me, since setting it at 3G would cap it at such, and 4G is between 3G and LTE, so I'd think it should be set at the higher connection to get 4G, right?) Anyway, she reset my phone's connection, and nothing. So they're sending me a new SIM. I'm praying that solves the problem, but guessing it won't, and I'll be stuck with 3G coverage on an LTE phone that Should be getting 4G at worst where I live. Fingers crossed...I ordered a SIM from eBay when I bought the phone, which is still on its way. I forgot about ordering that one, so I got the SIM pack from WalMart the day after I got the phone. Guess I'll just either send the eBay one back, or hang onto it just incase. I have two weeks to return it if I want, so we'll see how the new SIM from ST works out. Again, fingers crossed lol...

Last edited:

xxjoStaxx

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to share with everyone what happened today. My new (eBay ordered) SIM came today, but I didn't put it in. I took out the SIM tray and blew out inside the tray, just with my mouth...turned it back on, and I **** you not, I have LTE, Finally!!! Here's a quick pic and my first speed test, which is hella faster than my WiFi! Thank GOD!! Lol now I love my phone ten times as much. And ST said "you cannot get LTE at your home. Ha!

-edit: the network givith, the network taketh away. My LTE (and my brother's and his wife's) disappeared randomly after having it all afternoon! Called Straight Talk again, since I'm back to just the H on my phone, and nothing. I even put a new SIM in, and still not even H+, just HSPA again. So frustrating!!!

Attachments

• 1331.jpg
    1331.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 1333.jpg
    1333.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 1332.jpg
    1332.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't want auto pay. I've heard stories of companies screwing with payments. I'll be happy saving $15 a month.

Oh, OK. I know that Boost did screw with my auto payments, but so far Aio/Cricket hasn't. Until next year, I'm paying less than $27/month so I'm happy with that. Maybe I'll get more referrals, but it's OK if I don't.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
-edit: the network givith, the network taketh away. My LTE (and my brother's and his wife's) disappeared randomly after having it all afternoon! Called Straight Talk again, since I'm back to just the H on my phone, and nothing. I even put a new SIM in, and still not even H+, just HSPA again. So frustrating!!!
Got news for ya. ST throttles people bandwidth constantly. It just depends how busy the network is at that moment. True ATT customers get the first shot at high speeds, not mvno's.

On ST, between 4pm and 9pm, I was getting dial up speeds, but early in the day or late, it was fine. It's a fact of life for trying to save some money. If you want consistent speeds, you will need to use ATT directly and pay more. Otherwise get used to it.

xxjoStaxx

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Got news for ya. ST throttles people bandwidth constantly. It just depends how busy the network is at that moment. True ATT customers get the first shot at high speeds, not mvno's.

On ST, between 4pm and 9pm, I was getting dial up speeds, but early in the day or late, it was fine. It's a fact of life for trying to save some money. If you want consistent speeds, you will need to use ATT directly and pay more. Otherwise get used to it.

My brother and his wife both have at&t contracts, and their phones are doing the same thing. They had LTE exactly as long as I had it, and actually, while we had it, My speed tests were downloading at 40Mbps, while my brother's M8 was only getting around 20Mbps.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
My brother and his wife both have at&t contracts, and their phones are doing the same thing. They had LTE exactly as long as I had it, and actually, while we had it, My speed tests were downloading at 40Mbps, while my brother's M8 was only getting around 20Mbps.

I had ATT too for 2 yrs, and never had throttling like I do with ST. I don't know about your brother's situation. Perhaps now, they are all throttling but some are just worse than others. <shrugs> I'm just going to wean myself off of what little data I use, and use wifi most of the time. I talk or text most of the time anyway.

xxjoStaxx

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I had ATT too for 2 yrs, and never had throttling like I do with ST. I don't know about your brother's situation. Perhaps now, they are all throttling but some are just worse than others. <shrugs> I'm just going to wean myself off of what little data I use, and use wifi most of the time. I talk or text most of the time anyway.

Well, from what others have told me, who experienced the same thing, they were probably testing the area, and that's why it was only on for one afternoon, but they got theirs full-time within a couple weeks of that happening. So I have reason for optimism, finally!

aguy2no

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: Straight Talk im trying to find a droid phone that will work with verizon

they say if it uses a sim card, or has lte it won't work.
anyone have any idea of a android that meets the specs and can use verizon as a unlocked phone
thanks

tonystewart

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Straight Talk im trying to find a droid phone that will work with verizon

No disrespect, I switched to ATT, faster and cheaper, I tried but their service wasn't everything I'd hoped for

aguy2no

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
anyone know what android model doesnt use lte or sim cards?

st says in order for a phone to work on verizon, it can't use lte or sim cards
know a make and model number that fits the description?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: anyone know what android model doesnt use lte or sim cards?

st says in order for a phone to work on verizon, it can't use lte or sim cards
know a make and model number that fits the description?

Any older Verizon Android should work. Alternately I think the tracfone Androids also work on ST. But why do you need Verizon? The coverage?

aguy2no

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: anyone know what android model doesnt use lte or sim cards?

yes, in raleigh, nc att just isnt that good. I may get one bar, while next to me a verizon phone has 4 bars

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Well, a Verizon postpaid Android that's about a year old or older should work. And the Tracfone androids are newer & running KitKat, I think.

Edit: Also if you switch to PagePlus you may still be able to flash a Boost Mobile Moto G for use on pp.

Leukevent

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
Maxburn, Straight Talk is offering 3 ATT compatible Sims. Which one is the Sim I should get for my Nexus 5? The "ATT compatible micro", the "ATT compatible nano Sim or the ATT compatible Sim"?

I'd include the link but because I have fewer than 10 posts on the forum it will not permit me to do so!

I would be so very greatful if you could go to the " Select your Sim card" page of the Straight Talk website and let me know!

Many thanks in advance!

Leukevent

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
Maxburn Straight Talk is offering 3 ATT compatible Sims. Which one are you using for your Nexus 5? The "ATT compatible micro", the "ATT compatible Nano" or the plain "ATT compatible Sim?

I'd include the link but because I'm new to the forum and have not hit 10 postings the site will not allow me to do so!

You have my thanks in advance!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Maxburn Straight Talk is offering 3 ATT compatible Sims. Which one are you using for your Nexus 5? The "ATT compatible micro", the "ATT compatible Nano" or the plain "ATT compatible Sim?

I'd include the link but because I'm new to the forum and have not hit 10 postings the site will not allow me to do so!

You have my thanks in advance!

Get the micro sim. :)