Straight Talk and LTE on AT&T SIM with the Nexus 5 is sweet

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I had issues with MMS and data sputtered as well at first. The settings they give you on the byop site suck. Using the ones I found online fixed the MMS issue and data was good but not great. Using the ones from the first thread have greatly increased my look LTE speeds. I have yet to port my Verizon number but will do so once my contact is up.

Posted via Android Central App

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
The settings they give you on the byop site suck. Using the ones I found online fixed the MMS issue and data was good but not great. Using the ones from the first thread have greatly increased my look LTE speeds.

Same here. Data speed wasn't that great until I used the data part of the APN settings in the OP. Thanks!

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
You entered those values then rebooted your phone? I'd double check. I know I had a typo in mine and that is why I didn't get MMS working. I'm seeing double digit download speeds after using those APN values.

View attachment 92497

Trust me. I tried everything out there that I could find. I really wanted straight talk to work, it just never did for me. And judging by a quick Google search, I'm not the only one. Hopefully AIO gives me better results when I switch.

Posted via Android Central App

andrewaoe

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Are you able to receive text attachments? Like pictures?

I used the above APN setting for my nexus 5 and can make calls, get LTE, send text and text attachments and even recieve texts. BUT I can't receive any pics thru text.

Can anyone please help me out?

Thanks!

guitarizt

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
MMS has always worked for me (one of the first things I tested on straight talk). I was using the same settings as OP before, but I had "APN Type" blank. I was getting about 3-5 Mbps down and 2-4 Mbps up in Reno in a place that gets ok reception according to AT&T's heat map. I added in OP's APN Type settings and I'm getting about 10-15 Mbps down and 4-7 Mbps up now, thanks!

My first result after adding the apn type:

653508427.png

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Are you able to receive text attachments? Like pictures?

I used the above APN setting for my nexus 5 and can make calls, get LTE, send text and text attachments and even recieve texts. BUT I can't receive any pics thru text.

Can anyone please help me out?

Thanks!
2013-11-20 04.36.36.jpg2013-11-20 04.36.49.jpg2013-11-20 04.36.57.jpg

Here are my settings. Hope this helps.

geronimocrow

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I recently (around Nov 10 2013) bought a new ATT compatible microsim for my new Nexus 5. I have 3G. But I do not seem to have any 4g, even in places where sensorly shows there is a strong ATT 4g signal. How can I confirm that straight talk sent me a new sim? The model number on the blue card that contained the sim appears to be TF64PSIMC4MB

wx27

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I recently (around Nov 10 2013) bought a new ATT compatible microsim for my new Nexus 5. I have 3G. But I do not seem to have any 4g, even in places where sensorly shows there is a strong ATT 4g signal. How can I confirm that straight talk sent me a new sim? The model number on the blue card that contained the sim appears to be TF64PSIMC4MB

Did you change your APN to the configuration above? The model number you listed matches what I just installed recently on my N5 and with the APN listed in this thread, I have LTE data.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
That's still really poor for LTE. I've only used Verizon's LTE but AT&T is supposed to be faster in most places although coverage is not as good.

You entered those values then rebooted your phone? I'd double check. I know I had a typo in mine and that is why I didn't get MMS working. I'm seeing double digit download speeds after using those APN values.

View attachment 92497

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
That's still really poor for LTE. I've only used Verizon's LTE but AT&T is supposed to be faster in most places although coverage is not as good.

The upload speed is poor compared to Verizon in my experience but then again I'm paying about $55 less a month than I did with Verizon.

xolanir

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm just curious, those that switched from Verizon to straight talk, were you able to successfully port your number to ST, and how long did it take? I read one poster had a difficulty, and would like to know what that would be. My wife and I are looking to switch from Verizon to ST to save us money in the long run, but we'll be paying that ETF in order to port our numbers and cancel our service. Thx in advance for the help!

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm just curious, those that switched from Verizon to straight talk, were you able to successfully port your number to ST, and how long did it take? I read one poster had a difficulty, and would like to know what that would be. My wife and I are looking to switch from Verizon to ST to save us money in the long run, but we'll be paying that ETF in order to port our numbers and cancel our service. Thx in advance for the help!

I remember last year when I was porting from vz to st it was really painless. The whole procedure took no more than 10 minutes. This was all done on the website, no cs call. YMMV

Sent from my HammerHead :)p)

xolanir

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I remember last year when I was porting from vz to st it was really painless. The whole procedure took no more than 10 minutes. This was all done on the website, no cs call. YMMV

Thx for the response! By any chance, are you using the Nexus 5 on ST, if not, what device? I'm looking to get the N5 when switching from Verizon and my Galaxy Nexus, and I've been reading that some people have been having s difficult time getting LTE and MMS to work with ST.

Edit: so I went back in the thread and saw that you're using the N5 on ST (not stalking...lol!). Are you still having good LTE reception with your device, and is your MMS working properly?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Thx for the response! By any chance, are you using the Nexus 5 on ST, if not, what device? I'm looking to get the N5 when switching from Verizon and my Galaxy Nexus, and I've been reading that some people have been having s difficult time getting LTE and MMS to work with ST.

Edit: so I went back in the thread and saw that you're using the N5 on ST (not stalking...lol!). Are you still having good LTE reception with your device, and is your MMS working properly?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Yup activated it for the n4, then one year later pop the same sim in the n5. Lte works fine albeit a bit slow in my area.

I text alot but have not sent an mms so I can't say.

When I left vz last year, it was a breath of fresh air. Slight learning curve with gsm, sims, apns etc. Save so much money!

xolanir

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup activated it for the n4, then one year later pop the same sim in the n5. Lte works fine albeit a bit slow in my area.

I text alot but have not sent an mms so I can't say.

When I left vz last year, it was a breath of fresh air. Slight learning curve with gsm, sims, apns etc. Save so much money!

Thx again!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4