Straight Talk and LTE on AT&T SIM with the Nexus 5 is sweet

r1mayer

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Sounds good. That said the moto x is noticeably clearer than the nexus 5

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Really?? will i have problems with the nexus 5 call clarity. My order for the nexus 5 hasn't been shipped yet. if this is going to be an issue maybe i should cancel it

tw33k2514

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Really?? will i have problems with the nexus 5 call clarity. My order for the nexus 5 hasn't been shipped yet. if this is going to be an issue maybe i should cancel it

Honestly i didn't notice until I used the moto x. So you should be fine. Its not that the nexus 5 has bad call quality. Its just that the moto x is extremely good.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Joseph Smith5

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
We got the nexus 5 a few days ago and had apn issues as well...first straight talk rep gave us wrong setting...the old ATT and Cingular settings..called back and got someone else and it went right in and up but she must have done something with our permissions as she gave me these settings which had tried and faiIed.

SammyMax1891

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi, since AT&T offer LTE speeds, but T-Mobile does not, how do you distinguish which sim card you have. I ordered an AT&T micro sim card online from StraightTalk but it does not identify itself as being the one from AT&T which I obviously would like. Thanks.

kw1999

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
How long should it take for changes to take effect? I have had my phone activated for about a day and I have bounced back and forth between APNs in an effort to get a successful connection. I do not think there is 4G coverage where I am. Do I need to select a lower band or will the phone do it automatically? I couldn't access the Internet on data no matter what I tried today, but I think MMS is working. I can make calls. Any ideas? I just get an R next to my signal bar, sometimes an E if I fiddle with Network operators. Does this mean it's working and there's just no coverage? Or does it mean I really have a connection issue?

Last edited:

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
What about a tmobile sim on ST? I wouldn't mind the $45 unlimited everything but I don't want to be throttled after usage.

Check out Solavei. They use Tmobile's towers. $50 unlimited everything and 5gb of data. Works great w/ LTE on my lady's N4. That's the plan I'd use if I didn't find the $30 Tmobile plan w/ only 100 mins talk sufficient. AC member runtmms hooked us up with a free sim , too (she gets a little break for signing folks up). Just PM her.

ianmcn

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
For some reason, I'm getting cell service - calls and text, but there is no internet connection. I've tried both AT&T straight talk APNs.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
For some reason, I'm getting cell service - calls and text, but there is no internet connection. I've tried both AT&T straight talk APNs.

There are 3 Straight Talk AT&T APNs:

1. tfdata
  2. att.mvno
  3. wap.tracfone
Be sure to try all of them if you haven't already. My wife finally got it on the 3rd one.

Matt Aldrich

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I just used these settings and it gave me the H back by my signal bar. I found many that give me the LTE, but non let my mms work properly. I can recieve a pic once i send a pic...it's weird. Never had this happen before.

deach

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
two things i found searching the Straight Talk forum -

So you're saying removing removing port 80 fixed the MMS problems? I'm having the same problem the above poster is, data and sending ok, cannot "download" when it comes in. The phone has been activated less than 24 hours though so maybe that will make a difference in a day or so.

Jerzey McNasty

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Used the settings from straight talk and couldn't MMS. Used ones on the first post of this thread and Bingo!

Here are my 4G speeds before and then after using the settings in this thread

Screenshot_2014-01-03-02-15-34.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel Jaramillo

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I feel strange bringing this up, but I am surprised at what has happened with my Nexus 5 on straignt talk. When I read that some have had to purchase new AT&T compatible micro SIM cards for straight talk, I decided to order one because my SIM is from March 2012. However, when I tried setting up my service with the old SIM APN settings, the phone would get no data. However, when I used the new APN settings, my Nexus got data AND LTE. I was starting to question if that was even possible, given that my speed test test results weren't that great, but that seems to be a common trend. My question is if it's even possible for me to be getting LTE on my Nexus using the straight talk AT&T micro SIM that I purchased in March 2012?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I feel strange bringing this up, but I am surprised at what has happened with my Nexus 5 on straignt talk. When I read that some have had to purchase new AT&T compatible micro SIM cards for straight talk, I decided to order one because my SIM is from March 2012. However, when I tried setting up my service with the old SIM APN settings, the phone would get no data. However, when I used the new APN settings, my Nexus got data AND LTE. I was starting to question if that was even possible, given that my speed test test results weren't that great, but that seems to be a common trend. My question is if it's even possible for me to be getting LTE on my Nexus using the straight talk AT&T micro SIM that I purchased in March 2012?

Yes, because even if AT&T aren't announcing it yet, you could be in a new LTE area or just near a really good tower. If you try the Sensorly or OpenSignal app it will show much more accurate results for where ever you go/are than the carrier's maps.

Edit: I didn't clearly address what you were saying except for yes, it's possible. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair