Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts

Default Straight Talk and LTE on AT&T SIM with the Nexus 5 is sweet

Straight Talk rolled out LTE prepaid service a while back and I'm happy to say it works great in the Nexus 5. If you have had Straight Talk for a long time and are using the old att.mvno APN then you will likely need to get a new SIM card to get LTE. There is a lot of talk about it on Howard Forums but basically you need the new SIM and these APN settings.

New LTE Settings:

NAME: Straight Talk
    APN: tfdata
    PORT: 80
    MMSC:
    MMS PROXY: mms3.tracfone.com
    MMS PORT: 80
    APN Type: default,mms,supl,agps,fota,dun,hipri,entitle

I realize theres a lot of talk of what's the proper APN settings but this "works for me". Big speed difference in the real world over a Nexus 4 and HSPA+.

looking at the value proposition with Nexus 5 and Straight Talk I honestly don't know why people pay more.

Default Re: Straight Talk and LTE on AT&T SIM with the Nexus 5 is sweet

Can you get a Speedtest screenshot?

I saw on their site today that they are selling AT&T compatible sims for 6.99. A couple months ago no one could get one. Good deal for people that are located in areas where T-Mobile isn't as good.

Posted via Android Central App
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

It's awesome! Especially coming from the Nexus 4. I had to transfer my number to a new Straight Talk SIM card I bought back in March in order to get LTE enabled.

I did a speed test yesterday at work when I had LTE with five bars and it was 22 Mbps Down / 8 Mbps Up. Faster than my cable Internet at home.

Those APN settings are what I have, except I don't even have APN type set.
    K-Pop is greatness. | Owner and Developer, http://www.socialexp.com
    Thanked by:
    tgp

Global Posts
    1,765 Global Posts

I've got the same thing, but on Net10. It's great value! I've only had the LTE SIM for 2 days so far, but I've seen up to 17 Mbps down.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)

I got my phone a couple days ago. Took the ST ATT sim from my Nexus 4 which has been active 11 months, and put it in the n5. Works fine.
    I have been shocked to see the LTE notation in the status bar. I didn't know att had lte in my area.

Anyways, I just popped a year old sim and using the tfdata apn and apparently getting lte.

Sent from my Nexus 5 ()

Do you guys get throttled or capped on data? I'm really tired of paying for Att postpaid but want to keep reliable data.

Sent from my Nexus 5
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP
    tgp

Global Posts
    1,765 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by benhmadison View Post
    Do you guys get throttled or capped on data? I'm really tired of paying for Att postpaid but want to keep reliable data.
    Straight Talk & Net10 with AT&T service both now have a hard limit of 2.5GB. I just got my LTE SIM card, and I'm afraid I'm going to hit the limit by running Speedtest! Hopefully the novelty will wear off soon...
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by benhmadison View Post

Sent from my Nexus 5
    2.5 full speeds then down to 2g after that is used.

Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

What about a tmobile sim on ST? I wouldn't mind the $45 unlimited everything but I don't want to be throttled after usage.

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Star-Lord View Post
    What about a tmobile sim on ST? I wouldn't mind the $45 unlimited everything but I don't want to be throttled after usage.
    I don't think they have LTE available for tmobile yet on straight talk.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I have 2 questions I need help on. So I'm leaving Sprint and going Straight Talk and going to get the new Nexus 5. So 1st question would be:

1. To order the Nexus 5 unlocked to use Straight Talk, I order from Google Play Store online correct?

2. Then to use Straight Talk, I need to buy a SIM card that is AT&T? (Micro or regular SIM?) And then Activate the phone?

Thank you so much. Looking forward to the help so I can get this rolling.
    Joined the Android Army '11
    Current Android ~ Nexus 5
    Like A Bo$$
    Michael Jarmey likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AllenRulz View Post
    I have 2 questions I need help on. So I'm leaving Sprint and going Straight Talk and going to get the new Nexus 5. So 1st question would be:

1. To order the Nexus 5 unlocked to use Straight Talk, I order from Google Play Store online correct?
    Yes. You can get the same phone elsewhere like bestbuy but I think they charge more. There are no locked versions of the Nexus 5...

2. Then to use Straight Talk, I need to buy a SIM card that is AT&T? (Micro or regular SIM?) And then Activate the phone?
    Go to straight talks site and go shop > SIM cards > AT&T Compatible Phone > AT&T Compatible Micro SIM Card

In some walmart stores they sell the same SIM card in store, oddly enough they don't where I am but they do in most.
    Thanked by:
    tgp

Global Posts
    1,765 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AllenRulz View Post
    You don't really activate the phone; you activate the SIM card. Just follow the instructions that come with the SIM card. You can order one online or at Walmart.
    Thanked by:

Awesome, thank you so much. Can't wait to get this phone and also save some money by being OFF contract.
    Like A Bo$$

I did the same thing. I left Sprint after 14 years. Just put in the Straight Talk AT&T micro SIM Card, use maxburn's settings in the first post, and you will be good to go. I tried to do the port and account setup online, but needed to call customer service to activate.

My coverage and data speeds are soooo much better than with Sprint. You will love being able to use data while on a phone call. So many times my wife would ask me a question and I would have to tell he that I would call her back after I looked "it" up on the Web. I have to watch my data use because the data comes down so fast. With Sprint, I rarely went near 2.5 GBs because the data was extremely slow. Unlimited meant nothing for something that wasn't really useful. The only thing I miss is the visual voice mail. You have to go old school and press 1 to retrieve your messages. If Google Voice gets integrated into hangouts and supports mms, as anticipated early next year, I might port my number to GV and get that feature back.

Enjoy! I can't imagine that you will be disappointed.
    AllenRulz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainerd View Post
    I did the same thing. I left Sprint after 14 years. Just put in the Straight Talk AT&T micro SIM Card, use maxburn's settings in the first post, and you will be good to go. I tried to do the port and account setup online, but needed to call customer service to activate.

My coverage and data speeds are soooo much better than with Sprint. You will love being able to use data while on a phone call. So many times my wife would ask me a question and I would have to tell he that I would call her back after I looked "it" up on the Web. I have to watch my data use because the data comes down so fast. With Sprint, I rarely went near 2.5 GBs because the data was extremely slow. Unlimited meant nothing for something that wasn't really useful. The only thing I miss is the visual voice mail. You have to go old school and press 1 to retrieve your messages. If Google Voice gets integrated into hangouts and supports mms, as anticipated early next year, I might port my number to GV and get that feature back.

Enjoy! I can't imagine that you will be disappointed.
    I can't imagine I would either. So about the first post, how do I put those settings in to get the best experience? Sorry for the n00b question.
    Like A Bo$$

For what its worth, I switched from Verizon to Straight Talk when I got my N5. It was a nightmare getting my number ported, and when I finally did the service was horrible for me. I'm not saying everyone would have this experience, but I even had trouble getting my number ported out of straight talk because they don't use account numbers on their BYOP service. I'll post a couple of screen shots in a bit, but I was getting 2.2mb down on straight talk "LTE" and now I am getting over 8 on HSPA with Tmobile. I think we are going to try out AIO when its lake time since TMO doesn't have any towers around our lake spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksblackroush View Post
    For what its worth, I switched from Verizon to Straight Talk when I got my N5. It was a nightmare getting my number ported, and when I finally did the service was horrible for me. I'm not saying everyone would have this experience, but I even had trouble getting my number ported out of straight talk because they don't use account numbers on their BYOP service. I'll post a couple of screen shots in a bit, but I was getting 2.2mb down on straight talk "LTE" and now I am getting over 8 on HSPA with Tmobile. I think we are going to try out AIO when its lake time since TMO doesn't have any towers around our lake spot.
    Where are you located? That sucks man.
    Like A Bo$$

Springfield, Mo. Here are the screen shots. I should also mention that I was unable to receive group message texts or picture messages. I tried every APN out there that I could find.

Straight Talk and LTE on AT&T SIM with the Nexus 5 is sweet-screenshot_2013-11-14-21-02-58.jpg

Straight Talk and LTE on AT&T SIM with the Nexus 5 is sweet-screenshot_2013-11-14-22-08-18.jpg

I had issues with MMS and data sputtered as well at first. The settings they give you on the byop site suck. Using the ones I found online fixed the MMS issue and data was good but not great. Using the ones from the first thread have greatly increased my look LTE speeds. I have yet to port my Verizon number but will do so once my contact is up.

tgp

Global Posts
    1,765 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voghan View Post
    The settings they give you on the byop site suck. Using the ones I found online fixed the MMS issue and data was good but not great. Using the ones from the first thread have greatly increased my look LTE speeds.
    Same here. Data speed wasn't that great until I used the data part of the APN settings in the OP. Thanks!
    maxburn likes this.

Tried those, didn't help me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksblackroush View Post
    Tried those, didn't help me.
    You entered those values then rebooted your phone? I'd double check. I know I had a typo in mine and that is why I didn't get MMS working. I'm seeing double digit download speeds after using those APN values.

Straight Talk and LTE on AT&T SIM with the Nexus 5 is sweet-2013-11-18-14.36.12.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by voghan View Post
    You entered those values then rebooted your phone? I'd double check. I know I had a typo in mine and that is why I didn't get MMS working. I'm seeing double digit download speeds after using those APN values.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-11-18 14.36.12.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	92497
    Trust me. I tried everything out there that I could find. I really wanted straight talk to work, it just never did for me. And judging by a quick Google search, I'm not the only one. Hopefully AIO gives me better results when I switch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast