Hangouts Like iMessage?

scoutconnor

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
The one thing that I like about iMessage is how seamless SMS integration is. If the other user is on an iDevice, it'll be sent as an iMessage. If not, it is sent as an SMS.
From what I've seen with Hangouts so far, the user has to select where to send the message (SMS vs. Hangout) manually.
Is there a way to have Hangouts route it automatically like iMessage does?

TheDroidKid

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Don't think there is such option right now, however Hangouts sms integration is in its early stages i'm sure we will be seeing lots of updates.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Not really sure what you mean. I tap the + button, start typing the contact name (or a number) and then type the message. Goes as SMS automatically. In fact says SMS right on the send line.....

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
No, unlike iOS, presently Hangouts still explicitly sends either an SMS or a Hangout message. I've not read it anywhere but to me it is clear that the integration of both into the same app is the first step towards full "iMessage like" integration. So I suspect Google will add automatic Hangouts routing of SMS messages later.

It's actually a difficult and awkward commercial rather than technical issue for Google/Android as SMS charges are an absolute cash-cow for telcos so the telcos would be pressuring against this integration. Of course Apple have so much clout that they can and did pull this off although I personally was astounded when it happened.

Last edited:

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Of course Apple have so much clout that they can and did pull this off although I personally was astounded when it happened.

I wasn't.. Look how much Apple charges for each device? The Carrier gets to subsidize that a little bit but still take a profit plus they lock you into crappy contracts for 2 years (it used to be 3 years up here in Canada) so they still make money on data OR texts. Jobs sat them all around a table one day and said "Ted (Rogers), Alexander (Bell), Richard (Branson). I'm gonna make this stuff happen and you are gonna eat it up and ask for more. Are we clear?" and behold, it happened.