Nexus 5 is the only Android I can keep for a whole year

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I am also addicticed to all things android. Personally enjoying switching between my HTC one, moto x & nexus 5. I like them all for different reasons

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
OP will buy one of the spring 2014 launches. Self admitted gadget junkie so you know you're gonna :p

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I got mine on Ebay! I had to lurk around for a few weeks but I found one that was in awesome condition, other than a few scratches on the back. As soon as I got it I called AT&T and they unlocked it for me. It really is an awesome phone; the complete package imo. Expandable storage, removable battery, large 1080p screen, IR blaster, 13 mp camera...I could go on and on.
Curious...what makes you want to get rid of the N5?

This post was for Shawn Magm by the way.

I like the N5 a lot and I am certainly not unhappy with it, but there are a couple things that I wish were better. First, lack of an IR blaster (which the G Pro has), and so far the camera app sucks. I heard that the camera itself is very good. Some of my pictures have turned out blurry, although I hear about a software fix coming. For me, it seems that the camera has a difficult time focusing on objects. What I like about the G is the IR blaster, slightly larger screen, user replaceable battery, and microSD slot. Although the processor on the G Pro isn't as fast, i doubt that I would miss it. If I buy new from AT&T, the cost will be comparable to the N5 although I realize that the N5 has a newer, faster processor. I am a little reluctant to buy the G Pro used because if the phone has an issue, I don't think it'll be covered under warranty.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 is the only android I can keep for a whole year

Except if you don't sell it, it basically becomes worthless. Once I know I'm going to keep a phone I sell whatever phone the new one is replacing ASAP.

Sent from my XT1053

My feeling is rather than selling a $700 phone that is better imo than the new Motorolas for a poultry $150 is absurd. It's worth that much to me as a wifi only device and emergency backup.
Where do you sell your phones?

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

My feeling is rather than selling a $700 phone that is better imo than the new Motorolas for a poultry $150 is absurd. It's worth that much to me as a wifi only device and emergency backup.
Where do you sell your phones?

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

EBay or Craig's list. If they aren't more than a few months old, and are in good condition, you can get way more than $150. But I'd take even $150 over having it sit in my drawer, eventually become worthless, and end up in the trash.

Sent from my XT1053

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I realize that does sound harsh. But it is an obsession that costs needless amounts of money and it's no different than endlessly buying shoes, cars, or anything else that is meant to last. It is called being a junkie. Now if you can break even with every phone you buy if you're buying every month, the more power to you and there's nothing wrong with that, but I seriously doubt anyone can sell a phone for the same amount they bought it for.

All phones do basically the same thing. There is no need to buy the newest flagship that comes out every few weeks. I'm in no position to tell anyone what to do with their money, but I'm standing by what I said in stating it's a sickness. If you have money to blow, why not help out the large majority of the world that live in poverty. Same goes for anyone who has an expensive addiction to anything.

Posted via Android Central App

As you stated, you are in no position to tell people what to do with their money. Don't try to make it a morality issue and people shouldn't spend their money on what they want but donate their money. Man please. While I agree to charity and goodwill (as my wife and I make sizeable donations each year) on the other hand people work hard for their money and what they do is their business. You can call it what you like and I'm sure you have something that can defined as a "sickness" but I'm sure it's something wouldn't say to be so. Whether it's clothes, shoes, electronics, cars, food, video games, etc... Everyone has something that they pay money for that others would say they shouldn't. And if they don't it's because they don't have the means to. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what those critics say.

Fr3lncr

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
With my BlackBerry's, I would upgrade with every new Bold line, so 9000 > 9700 > 9780 > 9900 so at least one year between upgrades and in between I tried out the Torch sliders but returned them within the return window as I couldn't justify keeping them.

After getting my Bold 9900 and deciding to try out Android over the last two years it essentially went: Bold 9900 > Galaxy S2 > Bold 9900 + Galaxy S2 > Bold 9900 + Nexus 4 > Z10 + Nexus 4 > Z30 + Nexus 4 > Nexus 5.

Say what you want about BB's, I've never had any trouble selling them where I am (i.e. less than 2 days from posting) and I have always gotten a good price for them (never losing more than $100 off the list price). The N4 on the other hand was a complete PITA to sell. Enough that I think I'll give my N5 away rather than going through that again.

So, yes, I'm taking a hit but I'm recouping enough $$ that it helps justify each new purchase. And its not like the phones aren't sitting in a drawer and I'm forking out full price for every new phone as that, for me at least, wouldn't be possible.

But I admit that with the N5, I don't think I will need to upgrade anytime soon and I'll see how long I can get by with just having an Android phone. I tried with the S2 and it didn't last and I tried to make the N4 my primary phone but that didn't work out either. Since I don't have a BB to fall back on I really don't have a choice but you never know... all depends on what comes out.

alhc78

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
It is sick. It actually makes me sick that you just bought three phones that just got released in less than two months.

Haha I have also had the note 3, iphone 5s and my Nexus 5 will hopefully ship soon. I've also had the s3, s4 and iphone 5 this year. I have just a bit of a addiction :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TWISM

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I realize that does sound harsh. But it is an obsession that costs needless amounts of money and it's no different than endlessly buying shoes, cars, or anything else that is meant to last. It is called being a junkie. Now if you can break even with every phone you buy if you're buying every month, the more power to you and there's nothing wrong with that, but I seriously doubt anyone can sell a phone for the same amount they bought it for.

All phones do basically the same thing. There is no need to buy the newest flagship that comes out every few weeks. I'm in no position to tell anyone what to do with their money, but I'm standing by what I said in stating it's a sickness. If you have money to blow, why not help out the large majority of the world that live in poverty. Same goes for anyone who has an expensive addiction to anything.

I hope that every last dollar you have left over each month that is not accounted for goes to people in need.

You can't even go on the forums anymore without someone judging you that your not doing enough. Ever stop to think that those than can afford to swap might just be well off and do donate and help those in need? Surely you can do both right? What's good enough? 1000 a month 10,000?

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I work my *** off for my money and I'll spend it How I want. If all these needy people worked their *** off as well I wouldn't care what they spent their money on either.

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

TWISM

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I work my *** off for my money and I'll spend it How I want. If all these needy people worked their *** off as well I wouldn't care what they spent their money on either.

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

You shouldn't enjoy it. Give it to those in need. Right?

ManInTheBox10

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
You guys can calm down. No reason to get so offended. I want to thank scorpiodsu for ENLIGHTENING me on the habit some of you have on changing phones so often. To me it seems like a waste, as I said all phones basically do the same thing. But then again I feel the need to upgrade after just over a year of using my phone. Why? Because first of all my GNex drives me nuts with its performance but more so that the Nexus 5 piqued my interest and I want to use it. So you guys like to try more phones than I do. I get it. It's excessive and unnecessary, but it's your money. Forgive me for coming off like you should be putting your money where I say. After all I'm not the government.

ManInTheBox10

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
TWISM, You're an *****. Is there something wrong with giving to people in need in your mind?

I don't give a **** if people on an online forum judge me. If you want to spend your hard earned cash on a bunch of phones and worry about your popularity on the internet, go right ahead but don't think for a second that's how everyone else is.

As well I already mentioned if you can SWAP your phone and not be spending thousands of dollars every couple months on something so unnecessary, more power to you.

The fact that you got more worked up then anyone else shows me what a loser you are. Find something better to worry about.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
TWISM, You're an *****. Is there something wrong with giving to people in need in your mind?

I don't give a **** if people on an online forum judge me. If you want to spend your hard earned cash on a bunch of phones and worry about your popularity on the internet, go right ahead but don't think for a second that's how everyone else is.

As well I already mentioned if you can SWAP your phone and not be spending thousands of dollars every couple months on something so unnecessary, more power to you.

The fact that you got more worked up then anyone else shows me what a loser you are. Find something better to worry about.

Let's not start with the personal insults. If anyone has a problem with a post or member then report the post and move onward.

Thanks
Paul
Forums Moderator

Sent from my awesome HTC One using Tapatalk.

TWISM

May 29, 2011
Visit site

Not that I need to justify anything but my family helped raise over $318,000 for a local charity. Granted we didn't personally raise that full amount but we were a part of it. I also work for a non profit and our biggest goal is helping those in poverty get out of it so they can be self sufficient.

The point in everything is you have no idea what we do.

And Lol thinking I got worked up on the Internet.

ManInTheBox10

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Well good, I'm glad to hear that. Just don't get all bent out of shape. I realize I was in the wrong and that's that. I'm sorry, I hope you accept my apology and move on.

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

Same here. My 2013 devices: iPhone 5>S3>N4>iPhone 5>S4>HTC one>iphone 5> S4 > iPhone 5 > g2 > N5. Kinda crazy. This time I'm going to really try to stick with the N5. At least for 6 months lol.

oMG I just got dizzy lol

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I've had my GS3 for over a year and I love it, but i've been having major issues with charging it. First the USB port stopped working and started getting finicky, and now the qi charging i've been using is giving me fits. Because of this, i'm right on the verge of upgrading to the Nexus 5. If anyone here upgraded from the S3 to the Nexus 5, what were the biggest changes that you enjoyed?

I know the Nexus 5 will be my next phone it's just a matter of when I take the plunge. When I do, I fully intend to keep it for at least 18 months. But who knows what will happen. I just hope the hardware holds out better than my S3. Hows the build quality in comparison to Samsung devices? (I'm not a plastic hater, I live in the real world where plastic can be very durable and classy).

sdc1

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I agree that the Nexus 5 is the first phone that I feel I can keep.

So far this year I've had iPhone 5, GS4, Note 2, Lumia 925, iPhone 5s and Lumia 1020. I haven't been happy with any of them. The N5 is a very good balance of everything I look for in a phone and I'm enjoying KitKat a lot. I can see myself keeping this at least until the GS5 comes out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app