Note 2 to Nexus 5

bang_bang

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I have a year left on my AT&T contract for my Note 2 but I want to switch to the Nexus 5. The Note 2 has been slowing down a lot lately. Crashes a lot, screen rotation almost never works, and is just sluggish. If I buy an unlocked Nexus can I just take the sim card from the Note 2 and put it in the Nexus? What does this do to my contract?

toade

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Of course you can put your sim into another phone. You are not under contract for the Note 2... you are just under contract with AT&T period, regardless of the phone. Whether you lose, break or sell your Note 2, you will still be under contract and not eligible for a discount on an upgrade until that contract is near expiration. Seeing as how you are buying a Nexus now, you don't really care about discount on an upgrade. You can buy the Nexus 5 now, throw your sim in, sell your Note 2, and in a year, when you're ready for a new phone, your contract will be up, and you can get a new fully discounted phone (though that will make you re-up your contract).

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Of course you can put your sim into another phone. You are not under contract for the Note 2... you are just under contract with AT&T period, regardless of the phone. Whether you lose, break or sell your Note 2, you will still be under contract and not eligible for a discount on an upgrade until that contract is near expiration. Seeing as how you are buying a Nexus now, you don't really care about discount on an upgrade. You can buy the Nexus 5 now, throw your sim in, sell your Note 2, and in a year, when you're ready for a new phone, your contract will be up, and you can get a new fully discounted phone (though that will make you re-up your contract).

Exactly. OP you should do a factory reset on your Note 2 then sell it once you get your nexus 5. I recommend using Swappa.com to sell as they have much lower fees than eBay and the buyers know what they want. You could probably still get around 200-300 for your Note 2 depending on its condition and what accessories you include.
Sent from my Nexus 5

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes you can use the Nexus 5 on your AT&T contract. I used my Nexus 4 on contract with AT&T for awhile, no issues.

Posted via Android Central App

bang_bang

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Alright, thanks guys. I know it was a dumb question. Just wanted to make sure. I see that the 32 gig is backordered on the Play Store for 2-3 weeks, which sucks, but guess I can wait it out.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I went from a note 2 to a nexus 5 and would definitely recommend it to anyone else. No regrets here what so ever.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

F123D

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Went from Note II to Note 3 and Nexus 5. Deciding which one to keep. So far, it looks like the Nexus.

StealthTH

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I went from note 2 to Nexus 5 as well. Loving every moment of it. I convinced myself in the past that a 5.5 inch screen wasn't too big. Feel I was wrong. Nexus 5 fits so much better in the hand, much easier to text on

bang_bang

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Glad to hear that people are happy switching. jumping from android 4.1 to 4.4 should be nice, especially since the nexus won't be bloated from the factory with a ton of apps I never use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

F123D

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear that people are happy switching. jumping from android 4.1 to 4.4 should be nice, especially since the nexus won't be bloated from the factory with a ton of apps I never use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

That's one of the things I love. No carrier bloatware out of the box. Not having to go through setting after setting disabling and enabling different features.

tmx31415

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You will definitely not miss the Touch Wiz lag. The Nexus 5 is very smooth and fluid. With the option of the ART project, you should see a vast improvement. I came over from an S4 and the difference is night and day.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
especially since the nexus won't be bloated from the factory with a ton of apps I never use.

lol, its not like you will use every Google Apps bundled out of the door.

plus, "Pure google package" lacks many things out of the door, can't say its the best.

xchris5442x

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Went from AT&T Note 2 to a Nexus 5. As soon as i popped my Sim from the Note2 into the Nexus5 I got a instant LTE singal and text messages from friends. I still called AT&T to let them do whatever they do over the phone as far as activation. Works great, the AT&T rep said she had already activated a few Nexus5's. I had a harder time going from my Note2 to Note3. Im using the Nexus5 to help me with the long wait until my next AT&T Upgrade in November 2014. So far so good just a minor issue with the learning curve with Hangouts and SMS but I have it down now. Also I was really picky but loved how TouchWiz had a very easy way to assign facebook profile pictures to Contacts. All minor issues.

Hasbrobot

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
January 26 is my "jump" date through T-Mobile and I'm getting more anxious as the days pass by. I love my note 2, it's been the only phone that has lasted as long as it has without me dreading getting it. The only reason I'm abandoning it is for the sake of getting regular system updates. This still running 4.1.2 thing is for the birds...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
OP, a factory reset should fix the issues are you experiencing with the Note 2. Be sure to backup any data you need saved.

Regarding the Nexus 5, if you can swing it, buy it then sell the Note 2 once the Nexus arrives. You might not be able to get $349 for the Note 2, but you should get enough to help cover the costs of the Nexus 5.

martyh1

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
This thread was exactly what I was looking for. I went ahead and ordered a Nexus 5 today and am currently using a Note 2. Does anyone in the same situation miss the spen? I really like it and it was one of the main reasons for not switching before. Just seems there's nothing faster and more natural for a quick note than pulling out the stylus and having snote popup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12