Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5 wifi calling

Hi All,

I really appreciate if someone could help me out with this. I don't have one of those unlimited cell phone plans and I mostly use my phone with wifi. I have tried installing talkatone and zenitalk on my new nexus 5. None of them seem to be working , it will install and then when i try to place a call it gives me some error message and shuts off. Are there any other applications like this and/or has anyone had a similar problem and if so how did you fix it. I have not rooted my phone I have stock android kitkat that came with the Nexus 5.

Appreciate any help

Thanks

Default Re: Nexus 5 wifi calling

Quote Originally Posted by ssrini12 View Post
    Hi All,

I really appreciate if someone could help me out with this. I don't have one of those unlimited cell phone plans and I mostly use my phone with wifi. I have tried installing talkatone and zenitalk on my new nexus 5. None of them seem to be working , it will install and then when i try to place a call it gives me some error message and shuts off. Are there any other applications like this and/or has anyone had a similar problem and if so how did you fix it. I have not rooted my phone I have stock android kitkat that came with the Nexus 5.

Appreciate any help

Thanks
    Google voice from gmail is free. I believe you can do this from the browser. I'm not 100% sure about the process but I know thru Google voice and gmail users can make calls for free.

Posted via Android Central App
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

Viber seems to be something you are looking for. Check it out https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.viber.voip

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I would prefer an app as opposed to dialing from the browser if that's what you meant. Viber is good but I want an app with a keypad so that I can call people who are not on my contact list or have cover already if you know what I mean.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I would prefer an app as opposed to dialing from the browser if that's what you meant. Viber is good but I want an app with a keypad so that I can call people who are not on my contact list or have cover already if you know what I mean.

Well that's the best I got lol. Good luck.

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

The best app for this is GrooVe IP, it works great over cellular and wifi, you can set it to stay running in the background and run on startup. I have been using it as the primary phone on my Nexus for over a year

Yes, try GrooveIP or Spare Phone.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

If you have Google Voice you can now make phone calls directly from the Hangouts app.

Groove ip here as well works great. But only until middle of next year, Google is killing it. Damn shame. Calls over WiFi that don't use your minutes.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by abbott View Post
    The best app for this is GrooVe IP, it works great over cellular and wifi, you can set it to stay running in the background and run on startup. I have been using it as the primary phone on my Nexus for over a year
    But it is gone in May 2014 sadly. My obihai home line used the same tech and it will perish at the same time. I suppose I will have to sign up for a SIP plan somewhere......

Global Posts
    690 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by essinger View Post
    If you have Google Voice you can now make phone calls directly from the Hangouts app.

WiFi voip calls from your phone?

Quote Originally Posted by essinger View Post

This is only true on iOS as of now. We are hoping for this functionality on Android early next year.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anuraj1 View Post
    This is only true on iOS as of now. We are hoping for this functionality on Android early next year.
    I've been using it on my iPod touch. I guess I should have checked it on the Nexus 5 before I posted. Thanks

Hi All,

Appreciate any help

Thanks
    My understanding after talking with Google is that using any VOIP service on the Nexus 5 will use your minutes on your plan from your service provider.

Quote Originally Posted by r1mayer View Post
    My understanding after talking with Google is that using any VOIP service on the Nexus 5 will use your minutes on your plan from your service provider.
    It depends on how you have it set up. I use GrooVe IP Lite with my Google Voice number and there is no interaction with T-Mobile at all. I set that up last year after Sandy when there was extremely spotty cell service. Of course after 5/15/14, that will no longer be an option. I'll worry about it then.
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

Vonage
    Nexus 6 - Unlocked bootloader - Rooted - Stock Lollipop
    Samsung Chromebook - Chrome OS - Ubuntu dual boot

Previous:
    Nexus 5 - Unlocked Bootloader- Rooted - Stock Lollipop
    Nexus 4 - Unlocked Bootloader- Rooted - Stock
    HTC Inspire 4G - Unlocked Bootloader - Rooted - GB ASOP
    Thanked by:
    akuki 

Google Voice, using the official GV app, will always use your cell phone minute to make the call. No VoIP support. Google has indicated to tighten the enforcement on Google Voice usage. That could mean Groove IP will soon no longer work (it hacks into Google's system).

Other VoIP systems are not free although they will work. I tried Skype and it works fine calling other Skype account. Vonage is the same deal: you need an existing Vonage subscription to work.

Global Posts
    690 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    Google Voice, using the official GV app, will always use your cell phone minute to make the call. No VoIP support. Google has indicated to tighten the enforcement on Google Voice usage. That could mean Groove IP will soon no longer work (it hacks into Google's system).

Other VoIP systems are not free although they will work. I tried Skype and it works fine calling other Skype account. Vonage is the same deal: you need an existing Vonage subscription to work.
    May 2014 is when Google shuts the door. Apps like Groove IP will work until then.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

You have to use talkatone with Google Voice, works on my ipad and my phone on wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by anuraj1 View Post
    Hangouts is an android/Google app how the hell does it work on iOS before android????
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Consider a Skype paid subscription - about $3 a month, but usually works better than GrooveIP, and should continue working even after GrooveIP dies down. Skype will allow unlimited calls to other landlines/cellphones within US (with the paid subscription) - works on desktop/laptop too.
    (Every now and then, you can get a yearly subscription for half price - no guarantees of course)

Skype requires a smartphone/tablet/PC at each end. Simple wifi calling only requires a phone on the other end.
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Skype requires a smartphone/tablet/PC at each end. Simple wifi calling only requires a phone on the other end.
    No.

Skype paid subscription allows a skype user to call any landline/cellphone number. The other party doesn't even need to be able to spell skype.
    skype to skype calls are free, but require both parties to have the skype client (windowsphone/android/iOS/MacOSX/Windows)
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    911 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Bateman View Post
    Hangouts is an android/Google app how the hell does it work on iOS before android????
    I've been frustrated by this too. The only explanation I have is that the Google Voice app on Android can intercept dialer intent and make the call through Google Voice, though it isn't VoIP and will still use your minutes. It just dials a different number so the person you're calling sees your Voice number as the caller ID. By design, Apple won't allow this functionality on iOS. So perhaps integrating VoIP calling in the iOS version of Hangouts is to get around that.

Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Bateman View Post
    see Free VOIP Calls Now Available On The iOS Version Of Google Voice, Android Update Is Up In The Air
    I'd expect an update around May 2014 when the XMPP interface is shut down, and google merges Voice and Hangouts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast