Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By ncognit0
  • 2 Post By benhmadison
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I cannot believe I did it...

Cracked the screen. Already. Ergh.

I had a trip planned to New Orleans which I new was a recipe for disaster. Ordered a case from Amazon, two-day. Winds up being a no-show and with the Veteren's Day holiday, I don't find out until it is too late to reoder a case. So coming back to my room, I drop the phone and now the screen is cracked in the corner. Not in a display area and everything still works fine.

I called Google, of course not covered which I fully expected. But then she hands me off to LG who says I have to mail the phone off to Texas. they have too look at it first and then they'll give me a price. I can't imagine that there are any other options, but just in case I thought I would see if you all had any suggestions. I'm obviously getting a case to hopefully keep the crack from getting any worse. And again, it is working fine. I just may have to suck it up and have a blemished phone.

And if this is the worst thing that happens to me this year, I'm doing pretty dang good.

Global Posts
    10,396 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Default Re: I cannot believe I did it...

That is a bummer! But you are right, if that is the worst that happens to you this year, then life is good.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ouch. I hope the repair price is reasonable. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by adamspt2 View Post

I had a trip planned to New Orleans which I new was a recipe for disaster. Ordered a case from Amazon, two-day. Winds up being a no-show and with the Veteren's Day holiday, I don't find out until it is too late to reoder a case. So coming back to my room, I drop the phone and now the screen is cracked in the corner. Not in a display area and everything still works fine.

I called Google, of course not covered which I fully expected. But then she hands me off to LG who says I have to mail the phone off to Texas. they have too look at it first and then they'll give me a price. I can't imagine that there are any other options, but just in case I thought I would see if you all had any suggestions. I'm obviously getting a case to hopefully keep the crack from getting any worse. And again, it is working fine. I just may have to suck it up and have a blemished phone.

And if this is the worst thing that happens to me this year, I'm doing pretty dang good.
    If you bought the N5 with a credit card check your credit card's documentation. Many (mine does) credit cards have free purchase insurance and double warranty for items bought with the card. If your card has this type of coverage you may be eligible for a new phone free of charge! Best of Luck!
    JeffDenver, Jonneh and jdbii like this.

I just dropped mine the other night in my kitchen. Luckily I had my Ringke slim case and armor screen protector. Not a scratch or crack to be found.
    Current Phone
    Google Nexus 5- Unlocked bootloader- rooted 4.4.2-stock

Previus
    Google Nexus 4 unlocked bootloader- rooted 4.3-stock
    HTC Inspire 4G unlocked bootloader-rooted 2.3-ASOP

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticPsychotic View Post
    I just dropped mine the other night in my kitchen. Luckily I had my Ringke slim case and armor screen protector. Not a scratch or crack to be found.
    Ditto. Dropped mine in the gym onto tile. Had a Spiden case on it. Not a scratch. I didn't buy the case for protection, but now I am glad I had it on.

Would be interested to know the repair cost though. Replacing my Nexus 4 display was $150 total parts and labor.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Sorry to hear you dropped your nexus, funny part though I picked up my nexus 5 from best buy on the 8th then left for
    New Orleans and was there till the 13th. I ordered a caselogic tpu case prior to the phone release from amazon. One good thing though was the weather was nice and the cowboys lost (I'm from Philly, Eagles fan). Hope your vacation was nice at least.

Posted via Android Central App

I'm coddling mine until I order a case. So paranoid.

Ouch, that sucks man. I have the Spigen SlimArmor on, but after reading this I just placed an eBay order for a screen protector. I'd repair the screen myself if anything bad happened, but trying to avoid that!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Addicted to phones, cameras and all things Radio Controlled!!!

From the sounds of it the Nexus 5 is very delicate.... Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by StaticVoidz View Post
    From the sounds of it the Nexus 5 is very delicate.... Am I right?
    Not any more delicate than any other smartphone with a huge glass screen. They all cracked when they fall just right.

Sent from my Nexus 5
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP
    Thanked by:
    planoman and newsman787 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by benhmadison View Post
    Not any more delicate than any other smartphone with a huge glass screen. They all cracked when they fall just right.

Sent from my Nexus 5
    Practice your death grip, don't ever drop it.

@T-Mobile GN3
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510

I dropped my N5 last night with no case on, it landed on the bottom corner on to a tiled floor. I picked it up expecting the worst and there is no damage what so ever! Not one mark. Obviously I was very lucky but if you drop it its not guaranteed to break :-)

I've been using my N4 as a music player (it alread has a small crack) I dropped it last night and now the entire display is FUBAR.
    Last edited by EnigmaticPsychotic; 11-19-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    Current Phone

Previus

I feel your pain.

Getting out of our vehicle last Friday night, I had forgot my phone was on my lap (it was late at night after a family outing and we were mostly concerned with getting my 2 year old to bed) and when I stepped out of the vehicle, I heard the heart dropping thud of my phone landing screen down on the concrete driveway.

My screen was absolutely spiderwebbed.

I have nobody to blame but my own stupidity in this case. As you said though, if this is the worst thing that happens to me, I can't complain. Expensive mistake, but things can be replaced.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticPsychotic View Post
    I've been using my N4 as a music player (it alread has a small crack) I dropped it last night and now the entire display is FUBAR.
    Double ouche.

So what did you do? Buy a new phone or get your other replaced?

Double ouche.

So what did you do? Buy a new phone or get your other replaced?
    As I said I wa using my N4 as a music player. My primary is my Nexus 5.
    Current Phone

Previus
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Actually, this was the post I meant to ask about. What did you wind up doing ? Replacing your phone or getting it repaired?

Quote Originally Posted by JJDigitized View Post
    I feel your pain.

Getting out of our vehicle last Friday night, I had forgot my phone was on my lap (it was late at night after a family outing and we were mostly concerned with getting my 2 year old to bed) and when I stepped out of the vehicle, I heard the heart dropping thud of my phone landing screen down on the concrete driveway.

My screen was absolutely spiderwebbed.

I have nobody to blame but my own stupidity in this case. As you said though, if this is the worst thing that happens to me, I can't complain. Expensive mistake, but things can be replaced.

I've ordered a new one.

Doing some research it looks like the glass and LCD screen are fused together making repair tougher. Somewhere I saw a price of $250 for a new screen quoted (though I didn't look around much to be honest).

Given that I'd never repaired a phone myself before, I decided to just order a new one and I'll try to sell the cracked one on eBay - there are some on there selling already.

I also checked with my credit card company but unfortunately my card didn't offer the purchase protection someone had mentioned.

geez is it that easy to crack the screen? i had a droid razr before this and ive dropped it a dozen times by now. too many carelessness with car getting out too and drunken nights. maybe i do need a case on this thing. never had one on before

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts

Hell yeah this will be easy to crack, if it hits on a corner. There's barely anything there to dissipate the force so its almost all going into the edge of the glass.

Axe

ROM
    Reborn ROM, CM9 Touchpad

Call me silly, but I like to slip my phone into a microfiber glasses bag when transported/not in use. Slight added protection, and a finger loop to reduce chances of dropping or sliding out of my hand.

Silly goose
    Current Phone

Previus
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Shipped it off to LG yesterday. Should find out how much by Monday. Read someone got theirs fixed for about $150. While I don't relish paying $150, it's cheaper than another Nexus and now having to go back to my Nexus 4, I'm like, WTH? No Kit Kat?? As seemingly minor the changes are to Kit Kat (strictly from a user perspective) amazing how quickly I had come to like it. And man, the N5 is very quick!