Any way to separate the ringtone volume from the notification volume

the gator

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Anyway to separate the ringtone volume from the notification volume. I don't want any notifications at night but I leave the ringer on.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
If you're rooted, Notifications Off may work. Never used it; only read about it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Let us know how that app works out for you. If you are looking for more control consider Tasker - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...inglisch.android.taskerm&hl=en&token=bJLVFUcU

Tasker allows for all sorts of customizations, including quiet times, but can be set to allow certain numbers to produce notifications. This is extremely helpful you want to only be disturbed by family over night in case of an emergency.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Volume Butler in the Play Store

FEATURES:

• Schedule sound profiles when you’re at home, work, anywhere!
• Automatically apply a profile when driving
• Apply audio profiles based on your location
• Apply profiles by Voice
• Use Quick Schedules to silence your device for naps or meetings
• Separate Ringer and Notification volumes for devices with merged volumes
• Apply a profile when you charge your phone
• Apply a profile by SMS message for when a phone is lost
• Use Notifications to customize your notification sounds and vibrate pattern
• Customize 4 widgets to your hearts intent
• Make use of 3 types of shortcuts for Profiles and Quick Schedules
• Automate how your phone sounds with Tasker and Locale
• Change how your device sounds with as little as one click
• Simplify your life with the Speakerphone volume feature
• Apply profiles right from your notification bar (Jelly Bean+)
• DashClock Extension support
• Apply profiles when connecting to a Wi-Fi network

With Volume Butler you get 3 Profiles, 2 Schedules, 2 Quick Schedules, 2 Charge, 2 Wi-Fi, 2 Locations, and many other great features free. You can also unlock Volume Butler for unlimited everything!

The purpose of Volume Butler is to provide an excellent way to manage your volumes and audio profiles is how this is accomplished. An audio profile is a group of volume related settings that is saved and can be applied at a latter time. Once you have a few profiles you can then automatically have your device apply a profile based on things like location, when you are driving, SMS, from your notification bar, and dozens of other ways.

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I have found all such 3rd apps to be clunky and unreliable. I just wish Google would add iOS's "Do Not Disturb" functionality to Android. It is a very noticeable deficiency if you have come from iOS.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I have found all such 3rd apps to be clunky and unreliable. I just wish Google would add iOS's "Do Not Disturb" functionality to Android. It is a very noticeable deficiency if you have come from iOS.

I think that is called turning off the ringer. It you want to lower or shut off the volume automatically then program a NFC chips next to your bed to automatically put the phone into a quite mode.

IMHO, Android passed iOS over a year ago and iPhone makes me laugh every time I see a tiny screen for such a overpriced phone with a tiny battery that still looks like a bigger version of the 2007 design.

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Some of the others Apps I looked at were just too complicated for what I wanted. With GPS setting options and driving options for how fast you were going and I got bored reading the how to setup. This "Do Not Disturb" is so simple I didn't have to read the directions. I set up my silent time and have options for who contacts me or if they call twice in 3 minutes. It reads my Calendar for meeting and it has a instant button with a few time options.

Really my big issue is email during the night that uses my audio notification on the Nexus 5. This App has a free two week trial version then the App cost $2.50 and has been updated for Android 4.4 / Nexus 5.

I am going to try this one and see if it is worth $2.50 for two weeks.

Do Not Disturb Mode
by Cabooze Software
-

the gator

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Let us know how that app works out for you. If you are looking for more control consider Tasker - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...inglisch.android.taskerm&hl=en&token=I9V_B8io

Tasker allows for all sorts of customizations, including quiet times, but can be set to allow certain numbers to produce notifications. This is extremely helpful you want to only be disturbed by family over night in case of an emergency.

It is working out very well. I use the alarm clock and only want that and the ringer on no alerts and it works. I just programmed it and hit the widget at night and again in the morning.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It is working out very well. I use the alarm clock and only want that and the ringer on no alerts and it works. I just programmed it and hit the widget at night and again in the morning.
Good to hear - I'll have to give that app a try very soon.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like you have your question answered but......... you can skip the app and just turn off wifi and data.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I didn't think about text coming through but I suppose it depends on how many people you might have texting you in the middle of the night. Probably as many as you might have calling you.