So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It seemed logical. If her only gripe was that her iPhone 4 had bad performance with the latest update to iOS 7 then maybe an update in hardware would suit her better than switching platforms.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Recommending an iPhone to someone aware of Android and its gifts still seems kinda cruel to me. Like recommending someone with two broken legs go play in traffic on the interstate...during rush hour.

G Pad 8.3

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Recommending an iPhone to someone aware of Android and its gifts still seems kinda cruel to me. Like recommending someone with two broken legs go play in traffic on the interstate...during rush hour.

G Pad 8.3

I know some people who believe the exact opposite.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The N5 will take really good pictures but it takes some practice. With the HDR+ mode it takes very good picture but since it takes three pictures at different f stops that get combined into one picture that is what your eye can see. Don't use HDR+ where anything in the picture you are taking is moving (for a second) and you can't use flash since HDR+ needs one picture overexposed, underexposed and with the correct exposure to get that one picture your eye can see. HDR+ takes really good pictures even in low light. The Nexus 5's HDR+ is called True HDR and one of the first phones on the market with True HDR. HDR stands for High-dynamic-range imaging.

Flash pictures is tricky put it just takes practice since the picture doesn't get taken when you first push the button. Again the pictures can be good but you got to practice to get good on the timing and keep everyone smiling since it's not fast.

This article shows some things moving in HDR+ shots that is tricky.

Shooting with the Nexus 5

Last edited:

EnigmaticPsychotic

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
what specifically do you mean?
Meaning I think the issues people are having (and I'm excluding the ones that are in their head) are do to the quality of the software. Not the hardware. On paper the 8MP with OIS should be excellent. I think the software is dragging it down.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The best way to share photos and also back them up in cloud is dropbox. You can both share your photo upload folder and also have them download to yours comps automatically.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
So the wife recently upgraded her iPhone 4 to ios 7
If she's coming from an iPhone I'd recommend that she look into the Moto X :)
Only slightly bigger than an iPhone 5 but the screen is almost as big as the N5s. Camera and battery are better than the N5's
Thanks.

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes you can absolutely share apps but they have to be on the same account meaning you will have to put in YOUR gmail address and password as either the primary or secondary gmail account. You can do this after the initial activation by going into settings>add account>gmail and then if you don't want her to receive all of your emails / notifications you can go under the settings and uncheck the boxes for email, app data, contacts, etc. Just be aware that at any time she could go in and check those boxes and get all your emails, contacts, and everything.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
If she's coming from an iPhone I'd recommend that she look into the Moto X
Only slightly bigger than an iPhone 5 but the screen is almost as big as the N5s. Camera and battery are better than the N5's
Thanks.

From what I've read, the N5's camera is as good as if not slightly better than the Moto X's and a software update has been announced by Google that will improve the camera (since the software is what's hindering the camera right now). But yes, the Moto X does have better battery life.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
From what I've read, the N5's camera is as good as if not slightly better than the Moto X's and a software update has been announced by Google that will improve the camera (since the software is what's hindering the camera right now). But yes, the Moto X does have better battery life.

Probably true but then again they could always update the Moto X camera again. That helped a lot the first time :)
The biggest point is that the form factor is better, especially for an iPhone converter
Plus, she wouldn't be losing the large screen size :)

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
For all the biz I give the iPhone it really is a nice device. I had a 5s recently and the fluidity of which it went about it's business remains impressive. I found myself missing the back button, changing of the fonts, and all the other little niceties I now realize I've grown attached to. However, you can't beat the remaining fact that a 1 month old can pick up an iPhone and be productive with it. They're easy to use and that's never bad.

DroidGuy1990

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
1.) The camera on the nexus 5 is leaps and bounds better than the iPhone 4...You can not even compare the two...The N5 camera isn't a Sony or Samsung Camera but still better than 50% of the top android camera's out there...

2.) You will need to rebuy most of all your apps as they are two completely different app stores. BUT google now has a way to get free money to purchase apps from play store by using Google Opinion Rewards. I have made $34 dollars to spend in the Play store by filling out a 7 question survey on my Nexus 5...Just a heads up.

3.) Google+ and Smugmug are great ways for both IOS and Android and I recommended continuing to use both.

...Hope this helps...

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
So the wife recently upgraded her iPhone 4 to ios 7, which has made the phone basically slow and unusable (Stellar work by Apple!!)

She's now considering a nexus 5 since she likes the look and feel of my N4, but I have a few questions.

1) I hear once again the camera is lacking, how does it compare to the one in the iPhone 4? She uses the camera a lot for the kids.

2) We are both new to Android, will she be able to use the apps I've already bought (like AquaMail), or do we need to rebuy ?

3) what's the best way to get the photos into photo stream? At the moment I backup mine to google+ and Smugmug and so can download them to my ipad and that puts them in the cloud. The downside of this is I can only download one at a time. Is there software to automate this or at least allow batch downloads?

Thanks.

1. The camera is probably on par with the iPhone 4, but it is NOT as good as the newer iPhones yet. I think that it will be improved with better software, but don't make your purchase based on a "maybe"

2. As other people have said, you can only share your Apps if you share a google account. Depending on how much you guys want to share, you could save a few dollars that way.

3. i use Google+ as a photo back up. If you want more options, look into dropbox. They should be able to do what you need.

nb

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay