Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    So the wife recently upgraded her iPhone 4 to ios 7, which has made the phone basically slow and unusable (Stellar work by Apple!!)

    She's now considering a nexus 5 since she likes the look and feel of my N4, but I have a few questions.

    1) I hear once again the camera is lacking, how does it compare to the one in the iPhone 4? She uses the camera a lot for the kids.

    2) We are both new to Android, will she be able to use the apps I've already bought (like AquaMail), or do we need to rebuy ?

    3) what's the best way to get the photos into photo stream? At the moment I backup mine to google+ and Smugmug and so can download them to my ipad and that puts them in the cloud. The downside of this is I can only download one at a time. Is there software to automate this or at least allow batch downloads?


    Thanks.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    LOL, my wife had a similar reaction only she went with the MotoX and designed her own via the MotoMaker.

    1). As for the camera, taking shots of the kids had been the only disappointing aspect of the Nexus 5. Overall the camera is better than the Nexus 4 (my prior device) but objects that are not still are a tough grab. Rumor has it there will be a software fix for it and I trust there will be as the Nexus 4 suffered from a similar problem if I recall.

    2) I believe you can only share apps if you share the gmail account you use to buy apps with. Nice thing about the MotoX purchase was it came with a $10 Google Play gift card for sharing your MotoMaker experience.

    3) Probably a better solution out there but I plug my Nexus 5 (and Nexus 4 prior) directly into my Mac. iPhoto will recognize it as a camera and pull them in.


    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  3. #3  

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    Quote Originally Posted by dazed_android View Post
    So the wife recently upgraded her iPhone 4 to ios 7, which has made the phone basically slow and unusable (Stellar work by Apple!!)

    She's now considering a nexus 5 since she likes the look and feel of my N4, but I have a few questions.

    1) I hear once again the camera is lacking, how does it compare to the one in the iPhone 4? She uses the camera a lot for the kids.

    2) We are both new to Android, will she be able to use the apps I've already bought (like AquaMail), or do we need to rebuy ?

    3) what's the best way to get the photos into photo stream? At the moment I backup mine to google+ and Smugmug and so can download them to my ipad and that puts them in the cloud. The downside of this is I can only download one at a time. Is there software to automate this or at least allow batch downloads?


    Thanks.
    1. Hardware wise it's rock solid. Software is somewhat lacking,but nothing that an update won't likely fix.

    2.Unless you're sharing gmail accounts you'll each have to buy your own.

    3. Google Drive may be an option.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    For apps, just log onto your google account on her device and download the app. Afterwards you could always take your gmail off the phone if you wanted to.
  5. #5  
    JeffDenver's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,924 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    Quote Originally Posted by dazed_android View Post
    So the wife recently upgraded her iPhone 4 to ios 7, which has made the phone basically slow and unusable (Stellar work by Apple!!)

    She's now considering a nexus 5 since she likes the look and feel of my N4, but I have a few questions.

    1) I hear once again the camera is lacking, how does it compare to the one in the iPhone 4? She uses the camera a lot for the kids.
    The camera is lacking in speed and features. The quality is as good as the best iPhone IMO. They have different areas where they are better than the other.

    You and your wife should not take my word for it. Stroll through the photo thread on this forum and see for yourselves. Share your Nexus 5 camera photos, videos, and thoughts!

    The software will probably get better. But it is definitely not as fast or convenient to use as the iPhone camera app, or even many other Android camera apps.

    2) We are both new to Android, will she be able to use the apps I've already bought (like AquaMail), or do we need to rebuy ?
    You will need to rebuy everything. Sorry. The apps are not compatible between platforms.

    I misunderstood your question. Apps are attached to gmail accounts. So you can only use the apps on your gmail account when that gmail account is attached to a device.
  6. #6  
    tgp
    tgp is offline
    tgp's Avatar

    Posts
    668 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,325 Global Posts

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    Quote Originally Posted by dazed_android View Post
    2) We are both new to Android, will she be able to use the apps I've already bought (like AquaMail), or do we need to rebuy ?
    Obviously they will need to be Android apps (not from Apple's App Store) but yes, it's quite simple to share apps. Simply add the Google account under which the apps were bought to your wife's phone, and use it to log in to the Play Store. You can choose to not sync everything else, so she won't get your email or Keep notes.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    My wife just moved from iPhone 4 to N4 because, as you say, iOS 7 is way too slow on iPhone 4.

    The camera in the N5 (which I have) is much better than the iPhone 4 which is a very old phone now.

    Photostream is Apple only and locked down. You can't even view PhotoStream on the web. You can only view from Apple apps on an Apple device. Get away from that and move to G+ photos which can be synced from/to and viewed everywhere, including iOS, Android, and the web. Much better "open" system.
  8. #8  
    petaf's Avatar

    Posts
    346 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    Idk, I have just taken one pix with my Nexus 5 and it's perfect.
  9. #9  
    Sophos's Avatar

    Posts
    328 Posts
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletmark View Post
    My wife just moved from iPhone 4 to N4 because, as you say, iOS 7 is way too slow on iPhone 4.

    The camera in the N5 (which I have) is much better than the iPhone 4 which is a very old phone now.

    Photostream is Apple only and locked down. You can't even view PhotoStream on the web. You can only view from Apple apps on an Apple device. Get away from that and move to G+ photos which can be synced from/to and viewed everywhere, including iOS, Android, and the web. Much better "open" system.
    You actually CAN view photostream on the web. I used it back when I had an iphone to quickly display pictures of nightly specials online. I agree with all your other points though
  10. #10  

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    I want a wife...

    And a Nexus 5

    Posted via Android Central App
    itic likes this.
  11. #11  
    Haalcyon's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    7,919 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    Quote Originally Posted by ManInTheBox10 View Post
    I want a wife...

    And a Nexus 5

    Posted via Android Central App
    A wife is great to have but choose carefully, upgrades get expensive.

    G2
    GriffenD, erwaso and DS1331 like this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    Thanks guys.

    We will have the same gmail email as we share contacts and calendars so that should mean she can get all my apps right?

    I was really hoping for a non computer solution to the photo stream issues. If google+ allowed multiple downloads it wouldn't be an issue as I could just multi select the photos I want downloaded to the ipad camera roll. Seems such an obvious piece of functionality that's missing....
  13. #13  

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    You can set pictures to automatically back up to Google+ in the photo app's setting menu. There are options to sync on WiFi or with any days connection. You should see this on your Nexus 4 as well.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  14. #14  

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    Quote Originally Posted by Sophos View Post
    You actually CAN view photostream on the web.
    I just checked and you are right. Originally this was not possible with PhotoStream but Apple added an option to "share a PhotoStream to the web" at a later update in iOS 6. They had lost me by then ....
  15. #15  

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    Why doesn't your wife just get the new iPhone?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
  16. #16  

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    Quote Originally Posted by dazed_android View Post
    We will have the same gmail email as we share contacts and calendars so that should mean she can get all my apps right?
    Before you do it I have to say that sharing one google account like this is a poor approach. You certainly don't want to share email. You want separate calendars but Google provides excellent calendar sharing facilities. Each can add/delete/change events for each other, if you want.
  17. #17  
    Haalcyon's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    7,919 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    Why doesn't your wife just get the new iPhone?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    That's mean.

    G2
  18. #18  

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticPsychotic View Post
    1. Hardware wise it's rock solid.
    what specifically do you mean?
  19. #19  

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    That's mean.

    G2
    It seemed logical. If her only gripe was that her iPhone 4 had bad performance with the latest update to iOS 7 then maybe an update in hardware would suit her better than switching platforms.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
  20. #20  

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    I have my dropbox automatically synced with photostream. I've enabled camera backup on my device and on my computer I have my iPhoto folder point to my dropbox folder. When I take a picture with my phone, it gets uploaded to dropbox and iPhoto syncs it as wells. Works pretty well for what I need.
  21. #21  
    Haalcyon's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    7,919 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    It seemed logical. If her only gripe was that her iPhone 4 had bad performance with the latest update to iOS 7 then maybe an update in hardware would suit her better than switching platforms.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Recommending an iPhone to someone aware of Android and its gifts still seems kinda cruel to me. Like recommending someone with two broken legs go play in traffic on the interstate...during rush hour.

    G Pad 8.3
    the gator and Rishi Bhatia like this.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Recommending an iPhone to someone aware of Android and its gifts still seems kinda cruel to me. Like recommending someone with two broken legs go play in traffic on the interstate...during rush hour.

    G Pad 8.3
    I know some people who believe the exact opposite.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
  23. #23  

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    The N5 will take really good pictures but it takes some practice. With the HDR+ mode it takes very good picture but since it takes three pictures at different f stops that get combined into one picture that is what your eye can see. Don't use HDR+ where anything in the picture you are taking is moving (for a second) and you can't use flash since HDR+ needs one picture overexposed, underexposed and with the correct exposure to get that one picture your eye can see. HDR+ takes really good pictures even in low light. The Nexus 5's HDR+ is called True HDR and one of the first phones on the market with True HDR. HDR stands for High-dynamic-range imaging.

    Flash pictures is tricky put it just takes practice since the picture doesn't get taken when you first push the button. Again the pictures can be good but you got to practice to get good on the timing and keep everyone smiling since it's not fast.

    This article shows some things moving in HDR+ shots that is tricky.

    Shooting with the Nexus 5
  24. #24  
    Haalcyon's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    7,919 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    I know some people who believe the exact opposite.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Poor misguided souls. They need a dose of good ole NexusCillin.

    G Pad 8.3
    the gator likes this.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    what specifically do you mean?
    Meaning I think the issues people are having (and I'm excluding the ones that are in their head) are do to the quality of the software. Not the hardware. On paper the 8MP with OIS should be excellent. I think the software is dragging it down.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [HOW-TO] Enable Band 4 AWS on SM-N900V *REQUIRES ROOT*
    By William T Riker in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-10-2015, 07:29 PM
  2. Apps to edit PDFs on a Galaxy Note
    By jobu55 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-08-2014, 02:06 PM
  3. Nexus 5 & traveling overseas (outside the USA)
    By r1mayer in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-19-2013, 10:14 AM
  4. i updated my htc one to 4.3 but everything got deleted and im still on 4.2.2
    By Humam Tarakji in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2013, 01:36 PM

Posting Permissions