Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts

Default Is my Nexus 5 defective?

I can't seem to take a picture in focus. I've read things here and there about people having similar issues, but many people don't seem to have any problems. It's not user error either--I know how to hold it steady. Is my phone defective?
    Not all treasure is silver and gold.

Default Re: Is my Nexus 5 defective?

I don't want to insult your intelligence, but did you remove the tiny plastic film protecting the lens during manufacture and shipping?

Really, I could see how one might easily miss it...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts

Yep

I can get a pretty clear picture if I'm taking a pic of an object, but if I'm takin a pic of a person and there's even the slightest movement it's blurry no matter what. I'm coming from an iPhone 5 and had no problems. It's not like the people are running or walking in the pictures either.
    Last edited by dsdxp; 11-17-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Additional text

Try disabling HDR+ mode. As you can read here, Nexus 5 camera samples and first impressions | Android Central

HDR+ can run into issues with movement, however, as you'll see in the second set of comparison images below. The people in the foreground are blurred and obscured by noise. Not surprising — as the phone has to have time to take multiple exposures.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts

Did not have HDR+ on

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts

Are you using flash? If not, try turning it on.

Posted via Android Central App

Weird problem. I can set my nexus to any mode and I still haven't come across this...

Posted via Android Central App
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts

Haven't been using flash.. Usually don't use flash if there's decent lighting. It's like it takes forever to focus and then can't take the picture in time (once it does focus).
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts

This site outlines the exact issue I have with the camera:

"Issues include blurry photos, very slow auto-focus, shutter lag, and generally disappointing results in terms of photo quality. The general consensus seems to be that this is a software problem rather than a hardware problem, which is good in the sense that it can be fixed by an update and there’s no need to replace your handset, the downside is that you have to wait for the update."

No one here has this problem?

I did when taking a pic of my kid yesterday. Try downloading camera 360

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Addicted to phones, cameras and all things Radio Controlled!!!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts

I've tried camera 360 and various other cameras, but none of them have any faster shutter speed and focus speed...

I am also not trying to insult your intelligence, but are you tapping the screen to focus on what you are taking a picture of? I have taken quite a few pictures of people and things and haven't had any issues.

Try taking some pics outside. Most indoor lighting are not good enough for any camera phones. Some might be a little bit faster than others. But without flash on, it will be very slow and hard to focus on. The shutter lag of the default camera app is also mentioned in many reviews.
    Here is what you should do: take a picture in the condition you describe in OP and open the picture, choose menu->Details. Report the aperture and exposure time here. From what I can gather, the rear camera has a fixed aperture of F2.53 (which is not that fast). Indoor pictures can often in the range of 1/15 sec to 1/30 sec of exposure time. At 1/15, your subject should stay steady. The OIS can only compensate minor hand shake of who takes picture, not for the subject movement.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ring o fire View Post
    I am also not trying to insult your intelligence, but are you tapping the screen to focus on what you are taking a picture of? I have taken quite a few pictures of people and things and haven't had any issues.
    yes I do tap the screen on where i want to focus and see it focus, but then when i snap the picture, its subtly out of focus every time

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    Try taking some pics outside. Most indoor lighting are not good enough for any camera phones. Some might be a little bit faster than others. But without flash on, it will be very slow and hard to focus on. The shutter lag of the default camera app is also mentioned in many reviews.
    Here is what you should do: take a picture in the condition you describe in OP and open the picture, choose menu->Details. Report the aperture and exposure time here. From what I can gather, the rear camera has a fixed aperture of F2.53 (which is not that fast). Indoor pictures can often in the range of 1/15 sec to 1/30 sec of exposure time. At 1/15, your subject should stay steady. The OIS can only compensate minor hand shake of who takes picture, not for the subject movement.
    I will do this, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsdxp View Post
    I've tried camera 360 and various other cameras, but none of them have any faster shutter speed and focus speed...
    Try switching the focus mode to "infinity" in Camera 360.

I sure wish my Nexus 5 had a Hot Word to snap a picture like my last LG phone since I want to hold the camera with two hands even with it's ISP. I have an issue tapping too hard and it shakes the camera. Looks like the count down timer is the only hand free method of taking a photo without touching the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    From what I can gather, the rear camera has a fixed aperture of F2.53 (which is not that fast).
    HDR+ is showing F2.678 all my non HDR+ are showing F2.53

I am not suggesting anyone try Jishnu Sir camera patch fix since it could void your warranty. However this is the part I liked;

On the bright side though, we have now confirmed that many of the problems with the Nexus 5′s camera can in fact be fixed with a software update, and it’s likely just a matter of time before Google issues some fixes.

Global Posts
    6,763 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Can you take two pictures (one with HDR+ and one without) and post it here for us to take a look at? I'm interested in seeing the image quality.

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Can you take two pictures (one with HDR+ and one without) and post it here for us to take a look at? I'm interested in seeing the image quality.
    There are lots of people reviewing this HDR+ with the Nexus 5 that know a lot more about it than I do. Here is one review that shows two pictures with a N5 with and without HDR+ turned on.

This one has even more pictures of with and without HDR+ mode. I love the difference with the water shot.

Last edited by Shilohcane; 11-18-2013 at 01:04 PM.

I think this is a pretty good review of the Nexus 5 vs other phones including the i5c in different conditions each has something over the other. This is a really good read since it shows strengths and weakness.

This is my issue that I am still working on.

Performance
    We would suggest using the HDR mode 24/7 when not shooting action, but speed is a significant issue. At the best of times, the Nexus 5 is not the fastest camera around.

Upon pressing the shutter button, the phone both focuses and takes a shot, and there's about a two second pause between standard shots – longer if you're shooting in poor lighting. With the HDR mode engaged, this gap is increased to 3.5-4 seconds – about as bad as the Lumia 1020, which has to cram a 41-megapixel image down to a 5-megapixel file. It has a pretty good excuse, the Nexus 5 doesn't.

With an iPhone you're looking at about a quarter of a second between standard shots and 1.5-2 seconds between HDR shots. There are reasons beyond image quality why iPhones are fun to shoot with.
    Thanked by:
    dsdxp 
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    Try switching the focus mode to "infinity" in Camera 360.

I've tried that and then ALL pictures taken are really dark. If I put it in auto focus mode, they are brighter again but still subtly blurry like the stock camera. Again, mainly any people in the pics are subtly blurry, not background elements.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    I think this is a pretty good review of the Nexus 5 vs other phones including the i5c in different conditions each has something over the other. This is a really good read since it shows strengths and weakness.

This is my issue that I am still working on.
    This is good info... Part of my issue is probably the extra few seconds between normal shots. Taking a picture of a scene with people in it from my iPhone (in low light with no flash) results in a pretty crisp picture with no blurryness (even if the people are subtly moving), but with the nexus 5, it's blurry every single time and not as bright.

Global Posts
    6,763 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    There are lots of people reviewing this HDR+ with the Nexus 5 that know a lot more about it than I do. Here is one review that shows two pictures with a N5 with and without HDR+ turned on.

This one has even more pictures of with and without HDR+ mode. I love the difference with the water shot.

Sorry, I meant for the OP to post pictures since photos seem to be blurred or not focusing properly. I have a Nexus 5 and know what the image quality is like. I'm not experiencing the problems that the OP is so I'd like to see what results are being produced.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    I will do this soon. A majority of the pictures I take are indoor and not always in the best lighting. I rarely use flash, but so far I've never had a problem when using the iPhone 5, the images pretty much always turn out good, rarely blurry. I know using HDR+ indoor with somewhat low-light is going to make matters worse, but i'll post examples of each when I get a chance. Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast