G2 or Nexus 5

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I was torn between the two phones and I ended up choosing G2 because of the better battery and better camera.
(Some people don't like the back buttons on the G2, but after a day or two you get used to it and it's no problem.)
The G2 was the better choice for me. (And the price of the G2 on contract with AT&T is ridiculously cheap!)

StaticVoidz

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I noticed in your review you seemed to like the Nexus 5 a lot. If was just going to buy the phone from the google play store without the contract and add it to my existing contract what would you consider?

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Does the gloss back bother you at all? And I have heard that people do not like the texting and calling interface with the Lg g2.

Gloss back doesn't bother me because I have a minimal case on it.
I really like the stock texting app and the calling interface. Not sure what's not to like here.

Posted via Android Central App

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Spec-wise? The G2 is better in every way.

You pay for it with a crappier case (IMO) and a hideous LG skin. And in money (it's more expensive). If those things are not an issue for you, go with the G2.

You obviously haven't bothered to compare the specs. They are almost identical in specs, but the G2 has a better camera and a bigger battery.

The other thing to consider is the N5 will get updates faster and most likely be supported longer.

You really can't go wrong with either one. For me, I'm all about the pure Google experience so I went with the N5.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I noticed in your review you seemed to like the Nexus 5 a lot. If was just going to buy the phone from the google play store without the contract and add it to my existing contract what would you consider?

I would not buy a Nexus on contract. The phone is so inexpensive it's not worth binding yourself to a contract for.

The main reason I would still choose the nexus is because I like vanilla Android so much. But the G2 is awesome hardware.

ring o fire

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I would not buy a Nexus on contract. The phone is so inexpensive it's not worth binding yourself to a contract for.

The main reason I would still choose the nexus is because I like vanilla Android so much. But the G2 is awesome hardware.

Jeff, I didn't recognize you with your new avatar! But I agree with you.

OP, I am biased towards the N5.

Andrawer

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I had the G2 for 2 weeks..an awesome screen and battery life and camera worked fine. The UI was a welcome deviation from the series of Samsung phones I've owned..some of the multi-window functions were weird but no big deal.

Kept a case on it so the awful glossy case wasn't an issue.

I remember the G2 feeling heavier and a little harder to hold than the nexus 5 that I now have. The double tap on is neat but it developed weird double tap ticks for myself...funny but I don't miss that feature at all.

The LG G2 UI adds some nice capabilities and the N5 is certainly bare bones interface.

I went with the N5 because I wanted a phone that maintained a higher value and better support long term since my goal (ha!) is to keep this smartphone at least a year!
I didn't feel comfortable with the LGs support of their software, etc. could be wrong...just my gut feeling.

If u want the big awesome screen then i recommend the N5.

Sent from my iPad Mini Retina using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I didn't feel comfortable with the LGs support of their software, etc. could be wrong...just my gut feeling.
LG is probably better than they used to be, but their support for the Spectrum was just awful. And that was a great phone.

If u want the big awesome screen then i recommend the N5.
Yeah I don't know why people trash the Nexus 5's display. I think it is quite good actually. Very sharp, and very bright even in direct sunlight.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
You obviously haven't bothered to compare the specs. They are almost identical in specs, but the G2 has a better camera and a bigger battery.

The other thing to consider is the N5 will get updates faster and most likely be supported longer.

You really can't go wrong with either one. For me, I'm all about the pure Google experience so I went with the N5.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Jeff Denver knows all that and more. What he said it true about the specs but I don't know about case or skins part. The G2 is a better phone if you don't care about how much more you are spending (40% more) for as you said are very similar devices internal hardware.

Jeff is right about not buying the Nexus 5 on contract since you are going to get over charged under that 2 year network contract for a more expensive phone.

Last edited:

MLdroidN4

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I, too used G2 for a while and switched to N5. For me, battery size doesn't matter since I can plug it in at work and at home. Display wise, they both have good display's depending on what pleases you more. If you like more natural output, you'd like N5 better. But if you like saturated colors, you'd like the G2 better. Size wise, G2 is a bit wider and bigger and that was a big difference for me personally, N5 feels much more ergonomic and comfortable to use.

Then again, like others have said it all comes down to what features matter the most to you. It's good to have options.

ncguy

May 23, 2010
Visit site
If they made a developers edition G2 with wireless charging I would pay the extra amount hands down. What would make it even nicer is the kitkats native support for the IR remote. I expect you could even use the remote now on an developer edition phone (if of course the phone existed).

It's looking like the next one to support native-like Android on a high-end phone will be Motorola.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool