Will a US Nexus 5 work with a U.K sim card?

JordanHandley

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm planning on buying a nexus 5, but I have noticed for the 16gb model in the UK is ?300, whilst the 32gb model in the US is $399 which works out at around ?250.
If I buy the phone from the US would my o2 sim card work in this phone, or would I have to buy it from the UK google store?

Many Thanks :)

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It will work but you may not get all the 3G and LTE bands that are used in Europe. Google lists bands for both models. Check with your carrier to see which bands are covered. Which are not. You will still get voice and 2G data.

Tony_YYZ

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
It will work but you may not get all the 3G and LTE bands that are used in Europe. Google lists bands for both models. Check with your carrier to see which bands are covered. Which are not. You will still get voice and 2G data.

Exactly. You'll have to check your local carriers site to find out which frequency bands they use for service then compare it to the bands that the NA spec Nexus 5 supports. You may not get the best coverage or speeds if the Nexus 5 does not support your carriers bands and are better off getting the RoW model of the Nexus 5.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
It should work on 3G without an issue as in most parts of the world 2100MHz is the designated 3G spectrum and the NA spec N5 supports 2100MHz.

LTE gets dicey as there is not a standard to judge by and different carriers are going with different frequencies.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all, as long as I get 3G coverage thats fine by me
Keep in mind that you might be highly limited if you go this route. Also, you might have to purchase through a third-party retailer, as Google may not allow you to purchase the North American model if you reside in Europe.

Most retailers, i.e. Best Buy, are selling the device off-contract for more than what Google Play is selling it at.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind that you might be highly limited if you go this route. Also, you might have to purchase through a third-party retailer, as Google may not allow you to purchase the North American model if you reside in Europe.

Most retailers, i.e. Best Buy, are selling the device off-contract for more than what Google Play is selling it at.

Absolutely...like $100 more. Robbery I tell ya, robbery. It's only by luck that I ran into some kid at a Best Buy mobile that had not yet been told to NOT price match Google. So, I got mine for $350 as opposed to $450.

G Pad 8.3

Jobin John

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I found www.buyourdevice.com i think its offering really cheap prices for chromebooks & smartphones. please let me know if i am right, should i go ahead and place the order. please let me know if you find websites offering cheaper prices

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I found www.buyourdevice.com i think its offering really cheap prices for chromebooks & smartphones. please let me know if i am right, should i go ahead and place the order. please let me know if you find websites offering cheaper prices

Also consider investigating their return and refund policy. To me that just as, if not more, important than their price.

G Pad 8.3

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

CAVEAT EMPTOR

You should be very skeptical of the legitimacy/safety of dealing with any site offering new Nexus product for less than what Google is asking, and doubly so when they only accept orders by telephone, and triply so when you add the fact that that site was created less than 2 weeks ago (11/7/13). If those aren't enough reasons for caution, the site is registered to a "Joe Delivery" (seriously?) at a street address in NY that doesn't exist.

Now I'm not saying it couldn't be legit, but as the saying goes, if it seems too good to be true...

Also, you currently have exactly 3 posts all on the forums, all offering up this new website. Just sayin'....

ppyil

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to necro post, but did you use a US purchased Nexus 5 or a UK purchased one? I can buy a Nexus 5 and get it shipped to the UK for about ?100 less than the price of simply buying it in the UK.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38