1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will a US Nexus 5 work with a U.K sim card?

I'm planning on buying a nexus 5, but I have noticed for the 16gb model in the UK is 300, whilst the 32gb model in the US is $399 which works out at around 250.
    If I buy the phone from the US would my o2 sim card work in this phone, or would I have to buy it from the UK google store?

Many Thanks

Global Posts
    6,221 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: Will a US Nexus 5 work with a U.K sim card?

Welcome to the awesomeness that could only be Android Central!

That's a good question but now I wonder if all Nexus 5's are the same. I thought they were but I've not done any research. Don't worry. One of techy-smart-members will be by with the right answer before you know it.

You should stop by the Introduction forum and introduce yourself too if you have the time.
    Live long and prosper.

It will work but you may not get all the 3G and LTE bands that are used in Europe. Google lists bands for both models. Check with your carrier to see which bands are covered. Which are not. You will still get voice and 2G data.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    It will work but you may not get all the 3G and LTE bands that are used in Europe. Google lists bands for both models. Check with your carrier to see which bands are covered. Which are not. You will still get voice and 2G data.
    Exactly. You'll have to check your local carriers site to find out which frequency bands they use for service then compare it to the bands that the NA spec Nexus 5 supports. You may not get the best coverage or speeds if the Nexus 5 does not support your carriers bands and are better off getting the RoW model of the Nexus 5.
    CANADA | ROGERS | NEXUS 5 | D820 | KK 4.4 | Stock w/Root
    Nexus 7 FHD Tablet | FLO | KK 4.4 | Stock w/Root
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

It should work on 3G without an issue as in most parts of the world 2100MHz is the designated 3G spectrum and the NA spec N5 supports 2100MHz.

LTE gets dicey as there is not a standard to judge by and different carriers are going with different frequencies.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks all, as long as I get 3G coverage thats fine by me

Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by JordanHandley View Post
    Thanks all, as long as I get 3G coverage thats fine by me
    Keep in mind that you might be highly limited if you go this route. Also, you might have to purchase through a third-party retailer, as Google may not allow you to purchase the North American model if you reside in Europe.

Most retailers, i.e. Best Buy, are selling the device off-contract for more than what Google Play is selling it at.

Global Posts
    6,221 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Keep in mind that you might be highly limited if you go this route. Also, you might have to purchase through a third-party retailer, as Google may not allow you to purchase the North American model if you reside in Europe.

Most retailers, i.e. Best Buy, are selling the device off-contract for more than what Google Play is selling it at.
    Absolutely...like $100 more. Robbery I tell ya, robbery. It's only by luck that I ran into some kid at a Best Buy mobile that had not yet been told to NOT price match Google. So, I got mine for $350 as opposed to $450.

G Pad 8.3
    Live long and prosper.

Lightbulb Re: Will a US Nexus 5 work with a U.K sim card?

I found i think its offering really cheap prices for chromebooks & smartphones. please let me know if i am right, should i go ahead and place the order. please let me know if you find websites offering cheaper prices

Global Posts
    6,221 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Jobin John View Post
    I found i think its offering really cheap prices for chromebooks & smartphones. please let me know if i am right, should i go ahead and place the order. please let me know if you find websites offering cheaper prices
    Also consider investigating their return and refund policy. To me that just as, if not more, important than their price.

G Pad 8.3
    Live long and prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jobin John View Post
    CAVEAT EMPTOR

You should be very skeptical of the legitimacy/safety of dealing with any site offering new Nexus product for less than what Google is asking, and doubly so when they only accept orders by telephone, and triply so when you add the fact that that site was created less than 2 weeks ago (11/7/13). If those aren't enough reasons for caution, the site is registered to a "Joe Delivery" (seriously?) at a street address in NY that doesn't exist.

Now I'm not saying it couldn't be legit, but as the saying goes, if it seems too good to be true...

Also, you currently have exactly 3 posts all on the forums, all offering up this new website. Just sayin'....

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

I'm on t-mo with a UK SIM and it works exactly the same as my nexus 4

My Nexus 5 Rocks \m/