Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default USB charging very slow on the Nexus 5?

Has anyone else experienced this? Even if I plug it in all day it still wont charge fully. I am using an extra kindle usb to micro-usb cable which I had lying around.

Global Posts
    912 Global Posts

Default Re: N5 charging through USB very slow?

Quote Originally Posted by pranxx View Post
    Has anyone else experienced this? Even if I plug it in all day it still wont charge fully. I am using an extra kindle usb to micro-usb cable which I had lying around.
    Try the cable and AC adapter that came with your Nexus 5. If it gives you the same result, then you have a faulty unit. If it does not, then your kindle cable is no good for your N5.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

It charges fine though the AC adapter. While I haven't timed it, it gets fully charged overnight. I use usb because I have the spare cable and dont want to carry the AC adapter everywhere I go. My understanding was that the usb cable has nothing to do with charging speed.

Normal USB port only gives out 500mA max, far below what most of today's smartphone requires (700mA to 1000+mA). That's why it is charging so slow. The AC adapter has the special port that can supply full amperage your phone requires. A lot phone also won't charge at all on 500mA USB power if the battery is critically low.

I saw my new N5 go from 48% to 100% charged in one hour and two minutes with the AC charger. It could have been faster but that was when I looked at it.

That is fast in my book since my 2012 Nexus 7 tablet takes like 6 hours to charge. You can't even charge my N7 tablet by plugging it into the USB port on my Windows laptop that will discharge the N7 since it doesn't have enough mA to even charge it.

I've found the Nexus 5 charges super slow via the USB port.. I mostly use wireless charging now and they charge faster than the included USB cable and adapter... I've even tried my GS3 cable and adapter and the Nexus 7 USB and adapter and even the Nexus 4 wireless charging orb adapter and USB cable.... My phone just charges super slow..... I think it's possible a few of us got a faulty USB charging port.... because I've heard some say it charges fast and other say it charges slow... but I can be at 30% battery left and plug it up via USB and two hours later I am only at like 88%.... same 30% remaining and I throw it one of the two Qi Wireless chargers I use (Two different types.. TYLT VU and Nexus 4 Charging orb) and they both get to 100% in less than two hours.... I've always made it a habit to plug my phone up two hours before I leave work for the day so I KNOW I have a good charge all night.... I had to start plugging it up 2 1/2 - 3 hours before leaving to get that full charge until I got the VU wireless charger for my desk...
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I think my expectations were raised by the iphone/macbook charging combo
    This link explains it
    Apple Computers and Displays: Powering peripherals through USB

I will look into buying an AC adapter..

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

Unfortunately my Mophie Juice Pack Powerstation doesn't do a very good job of charging my N5. USB via A/C and N4 wireless charger work really well though.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I noticed a difference in the charging speed when I connected it directly to my laptop as opposed to using usb hub. Its not blazing fast still but thats ok.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Through the regular AC charger, my N5 charges as it should. But charging my N5 at work using a generic USB cable / work PC USB port, if the screen is on, my N5 discharges quicker than it charges lol. My battery app says it'll charge from 50% after like 8.5 hours using my USB cable at work lol
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Which app do you use? I am looking for aan app which will tell me how much time the battery will take to reach 100% while charging.

I use an extra Galaxy Nexus cable at work to charge my phone and at 50% it generally takes about 3 hours.

Most newer computers and laptops contain a mix of USB ports; if your system has a USB 3.0 port (the internal tab is a distinctly blue color) use this one to charge your phone as it has a significantly higher power output than the other ports.

Yellow USB ports, on the other hand, are "always on" even when your laptop is closed and turned off. I'm not sure about the current rating of these always on ports, but they can be used to charge your phone even when the laptop itself is off.
    Jonneh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    I use an extra Galaxy Nexus cable at work to charge my phone and at 50% it generally takes about 3 hours.
    I charged my new Nexus 5 from 48% to 100% in just a 62 minutes with the stock charger that came with it and AC adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    its not about the cable, its about the current output of your charger.

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    I charged my new Nexus 5 from 48% to 100% in just a 62 minutes with the stock charger that came with it and AC adapter.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    its not about the cable, its about the current output of your charger.
    We are talking about USB charging, ie; plugged into the PC. Using the AC adapter significantly speeds things up.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

ok now we need on all computers 3.0 usb and usb cell phone charging port and it must be adjustable so you can set the amps volts and what not
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

I got a widget called currentWidget to tell me how much power the phone is drawing. Had my phone plugged in all day to a 1 amp car charger during a trip and it charged only 5%. Maybe I should have put it in airplane mode

I got a widget called currentWidget to tell me how much power the phone is drawing. Had my phone plugged in all day to a 1 amp car charger during a trip and it charged only 5%. Maybe I should have put it in airplane mode
    This is a common problem with phones of all brands/types and car chargers of all brands/types.

You would all be far better off buying a power inverter (plugs into your lighter socket and converts the 12v DC to 120 v AC) and then plug your regular charger into the inverter.

Any 100 watt power inverter would be more than sufficient: https://www.google.com/search?q=car+...icial&tbm=shop

If that charger is originally design for iPhones, you will never get 1 amp out of it, only 500ma. iPhones use different wiring to identify AC/Car chargers than rest of the world.

One thing I've found when using 1 amp car chargers is that using a standard USB cable will not charge your phone at 1 amp. It'll probably charge at .5 amp, which is USB level. Check your charge status (Settings -> Battery) and if it says "Charging (USB)", then it's at 0.5 amps (or maybe just anywhere below 1 amp?). If it says "Charging (AC)", then it's at 1 amp. I had a 1 amp car charger which I kept thinking was defective because it charged only at USB speed until I read about "USB charging cables".

Here is a "charging cable":
    charging USB cable from Amazon
    If you use it with your 1 amp car charger, then you will get "Charging (AC)", meaning 1 amp. Yeah, I thought it was just a gimick at first too, but it works. It is a little pricey for a USB cable, but it does charge your phone much faster. If you're using your phone for GPS for an extended period, it's highly recommended. If you used a regular USB cable and GPS on your phone, the charging would not keep up with the drain and you'd slowly lose battery. With a "charging cable", it would be charging.

Actually, the Samsung USB cable which came with my Galaxy Nexus is one of these "charging cables". I'm not sure about the cable with the current Nexus, but you can try it with your car charger and see if it says "USB" or "AC".
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    If that charger is originally design for iPhones, you will never get 1 amp out of it, only 500ma. iPhones use different wiring to identify AC/Car chargers than rest of the world.
    Dont know what kind of charger it is but does lower current affect how quickly or slowly the battery charges from 0%? The phone was in this loop where when I would power it up (to put it in airplane mode) it would say shutting down and switch off. The battery details page was showing a lot of red for "mobile network signal", which leads me to think that it was constantly scanning for network and that caused the battery drain.

Quote Originally Posted by lets_go_android View Post
    One thing I've found when using 1 amp car chargers is that using a standard USB cable will not charge your phone at 1 amp. It'll probably charge at .5 amp, which is USB level. Check your charge status (Settings -> Battery) and if it says "Charging (USB)", then it's at 0.5 amps (or maybe just anywhere below 1 amp?). If it says "Charging (AC)", then it's at 1 amp. I had a 1 amp car charger which I kept thinking was defective because it charged only at USB speed until I read about "USB charging cables".

Actually, the Samsung USB cable which came with my Galaxy Nexus is one of these "charging cables". I'm not sure about the cable with the current Nexus, but you can try it with your car charger and see if it says "USB" or "AC".
    I was using the cable which came with the device. I assume it must be charging cable?

I was thinking of buying this Anker charger.

Plug your device into an actual outlet. Its speed will increase dramatically.

Dont know what kind of charger it is but does lower current affect how quickly or slowly the battery charges from 0%? The phone was in this loop where when I would power it up (to put it in airplane mode) it would say shutting down and switch off. The battery details page was showing a lot of red for "mobile network signal", which leads me to think that it was constantly scanning for network and that caused the battery drain.].
    It definitely will. For most smartphones, a 500ma USB port charge current won't enough to start charging when battery is critically low. 500ma is only good for light topping off when battery is almost full and you don't use it much. If your car charger only gives out 500ma, your battery will not get charged when you use the phone for things like Navigation where the phone actually use more juice than the charger can supply.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Which app do you use? I am looking for aan app which will tell me how much time the battery will take to reach 100% while charging.
    Good question...on my app list, it's called "Battery"...dunno if that's exactly what the App is called lol. But I wanted something to show me the digital readout of my battery level and it does the job. Also estimates how much battery life remains.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast