Let's not forget why Google makes the Nexus 5

TheDroidKid

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Like every single other reply to this, I have no idea why this thread was even created. While not breaking the rules, it is rather pointless and has little room for any actual discussion unless we wade through all the company-bashing and just form a question of what Google's mission with the Nexus line is. Is that what we're supposed to be doing here? I think that's been answered quite a few times though. Maybe we'll get lucky and a MOD will decide to close this up before things get nasty or before we lose ourselves completely and form entirely new topics to discuss.

Reason thread was created = PEOPLE HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO!

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Somebody (the OP) got their *** handed to them. And rightfully so. Rational, open-minded thought continues to be an elusive concept in the world.

There is no "evil", only companies who do a better job of producing a profit. Don't be naive- Google is after that as well. They are no more honorable than Apple and some would suggest less, given Google's collection and use of data.

Posted via Android Central App

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I agree with most of what you say, but I got a nit to pick. With these parts:
Maybe Goggle made a mistake letting non-developers buy the Nexus 5 since everyone wants the Nexus 5 to be the best of breed at everything at 40% less than other Android or Apple devices.[...]

The Nexus 5 was made for developers not for consumers..
While Nexus remains the reference development phone/device, I don't think the consumer adoption of the Nexus is an accident. It is by design. You're right that Nexus phones aren't supposed to be the most premium things on the market. But there are several conscious consumer-facing decisions that go into making a Nexus: first and foremost, the pure Google experience, which is very very consumer facing. Google Now integration and contextual search in the new launcher, Hangouts integration, Maps, the new dialer, Wallet, Google Plus everywhere - this is all consumer-facing. Sure, you can get all this in most other Android devices as well, but the experience in those isn't as readily "pure Google" as the Nexus.

Secondly, remember that Nexus isn't just phones. The Nexus 7 has been a stunning success in the consumer market, due to both its price point and pure Google. The Nexus 10 isn't bad either.

Add to the batch of Nexi the fact that Motorola, now Google owned, is creating its own market waves based off of a near pure-Google experience. The Moto G is the best value in smartphones, bar none. The Moto X is innovative. But neither messes with the pure Google experience much, the way other manufacturers do. And now the Moto X is getting its 4.4 update simultaneously with Nexus devices. That, with Google's own Nexus devices, is Google's attempt to show the market that consumers, not just developers, will eat up pure Google if they are given a chance.

At the end of the day, no phone is all things to all people. Google's goal with the Nexus program is yes, to give developers a friendly platform, but also to influence the consumer market.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
OP, so you're saying google made the nex5 for developers and consumers should be thankful that google was nice enough to allow us to purchase a nex5 at $350-400? I don't think many people here are going to agree with that, and you're going to need a lot of evidence to backup big claims like that. For instance, why wouldn't developers just buy other phones? They would be fine if the nexus 5 never came out.
No, I think the OP's point is that people shouldn't be expecting top of the line every single thing from a Nexus device at a relatively budget price, and that for the price, it's pretty much impossible to find a better spec'd, better running, device.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Google isn't the evil fruit company that over charges for similar technology by selling with a bling-bling marketing attitude for a devices targeted for the technology ignorant social status consumers with money to burn. There is no better cell phone device on the market for $350 than the Nexus 5 and it isn't even close for another $150 to compare any cell phone to the Nexus 5.

Google makes Android as we all know. Most of us got the Nexus 5 to be on the leading edge of Android OS versions released and with a device that developers were using to develop Apps. Maybe Goggle made a mistake letting non-developers buy the Nexus 5 since everyone wants the Nexus 5 to be the best of breed at everything at 40% less than other Android or Apple devices. That was never Google's idea when they sold the Nexus 5.

You want to know about the biggest issue with Apple is they make a one size fits all phone that is very proprietary and won't open up their device for the secondary manufacture's devices. Apple doesn't want iOS competition to Apple's devices since it is all to make more profit by keeping their devices prices up. There is nothing wrong with that but that isn't Google's mission with the Nexus 5. What makes Android better than iOS is the open market development of different manufactures making Android devices in a multiple number of device designs and sizes. Apple's bling-bling marketing can't compete in Android's market place since profit is Apple's only objective. Apple targets the rich people for their devices and Android targets the world's devices that puts high technology devices into the hands of the average person in most developed countries plus a more affordable device in the hands of much poorer people of the world.

Google is selling a Nexus 5 that isn't the best at everything since it would kill off the open Android competition if Google sold the cheapest device with all the best features. The Nexus 5 was made for developers not for consumers. Google can lose money making a Nexus 5 that is really a development device to provide the next Android version to developers so they can get their Apps ready for other Android devices. Google did the non-developers a favor by letting us buy a flagship quality phone for 40% or more cheaper than the competition. I am sure that Samsung, Sony, HTC, Alcatel, Cherry, Huawei, Kyocera/Sanyo, Pantech, ZTE, Google/Motorola and LG would be happy if Google would not let non-developers buy the Nexus 5.

Samsung, Sony, HTC and LG can't lose money like Google can on selling Android devices because Google makes their money on other non-hardware markets. What makes Android better is it's a open market with devices and prices that are very competitive. The Nexus 5 is 40% cheaper than any other flagship quality phone and yes it has some flaws. Google needs to make a device for developers to make their Apps as they release new OS versions of Android plus leave room for other Android cell phone manufactures to keep making a profit by selling phones for higher $$$ that must have higher quality features to be profitable.

I never knew a company could be evil. This post is horrible and hurt my eyes.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
ohhhhhh, Google makes the Nexus 5... i was wondering why "L & G" weren't on there... Makes me crazy that such a "great collaboration of software & hardware design" and only one party gets the credit....guaranteed if you polled a hundred avg ppl, maybe 1 or 2 out of 100 would even know LG made N4 & N5...

and i have to disagree, Google might not have started out, "an evil fruit company", but if you are paying close attention you can't help but notice that they are not only slowly "morphing into one" but actually are eclipsing by a tremendous margin ANY & ALL "evil visions" Steve Jobs could ever have even dreamed of....

If Google had a mustache, it'd be twirled to the hilt!

BTC

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
No, I think the OP's point is that people shouldn't be expecting top of the line every single thing from a Nexus device at a relatively budget price, and that for the price, it's pretty much impossible to find a better spec'd, better running, device.

That is a lot of what I thinking. The Nexus 5 is a incredible device with many of the best components (i.e. Snapdragon 800) for only $350. Then some Apple fan claims their phone that cost almost twice as much has a better camera as if I care about taking the world's best pictures. I couldn't justify paying $600 or more on a cell phone that has a two or three year life span for most people when the battery life is too weak to hold a charge or some other issue.

Yes if Google sold the Nexus 5 for what Apple charges for their 5s they could have upgraded the Nexus 5 into the best Cell phone with the best camera with lots of other new features but they would have priced me and a lot more people out of the market for that expensive phone. If I want a great camera then I will use my Nikon DSLR that will be better than any cell phone camera for the next several years. However I'm not a great photographer so both the Nexus 5 and Nikon exceed my ability. What I got with the Nexus 5 was a cell phone that has flagship quality that matches most features of phones that cost 40% more and that will also have the latest version on Android. I think the Nexus 5 was a really incredible deal especially when you look around and can't even find another phone at $500 or less that matches up even close to the Nexus 5.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Thread has been cleaned up again. If you don't care for the thread, then just move on. Stay on-topic and keep the discussion civil.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II