My Battery observations

lucasvictor

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I apologize for starting a new battery related thread. But my intentions are to share this new information / observations for others' benefit. I am coming from iPhone and Apple world and this is my very first Android device ever. That's probably because the flaky battery life was/is causing me so much headache. On an iPhone, i don't have to worry about my battery life day to day however on my ATT N5, every day seems to bringing new surprises with respect to battery. So here is what I did to ensure a consistent and better battery experience -

1. First and foremost I changed my GPS, bluetooth, screen brightness settings that has been discussed countless times in other threads so I won't go in details.
2. I changed my run time from Dalvik to ART but didn't see any battery boost whatsoever. On top of that, some of the apps starting crashing. Some I didn't care for but others I did. So ended up changing back to Dalvik.
3. Last week, after seeing dismal battery out of my phone (I was averaging about 2 hours screen time with 10 hours of total battery time), i decided to do a factory reset. Then I started with a clean slate for a day. No 3rd party apps. I also stopped using any 3rd party chargers. Turns out that the charger I was intermittently using had a different power output rating. Unknowingly, I had been using my wife's GS3 charger which has slightly different rating than N5 charger. I did hear from some other folks that google's customer service is recommending to use N5 charger only (I guess you can use any charger as long as the output is exactly same). At this point, i started seeing much better battery with screen on time getting to about 3.5 hours with almost 1 day 5 hours of total battery time. I wish at that time, i had saved some screen shots.
4. I started downloading the most frequently used apps at this point. For me, those are Facebook, twitter, flip book, CNN, Linkedin, netflix, Pandora to name a few. Everything still good.
5. Starting Monday of this week, my battery life starting getting really bad again. After going through several charge cycles and doing some digging around, i realized that I had installed What's App on Monday. I ended up un-installing it today and so far, it does look like that might have been the culprit.

Everybody's situation is going to be different but i know a lot of people use messaging apps like what's app, BBM and viber etc. If you are struggling with your battery life as I was, make sure that they are not the culprits of your battery drain. Also, try using N5 charger only for charging your phone.

Good luck.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Charger is not that important.

You may want to turn off sync, turn off Google service, turn off mobile data and wifi when not in use.

Btw, how's mobile signal? Strong?

@T-Mobile GN3

Sir Alex

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for solving your problem in a thoughtful and intelligent way. Reading the whining in other threads is exhausting.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
yeah I've found my biggest problem with battery life is Signal..... At work I get a horrible signal so I have to turn off all Google services or it keeps trying to sync and eats up the battery life... on the weekends I get better battery life away from work and when at home and on WiFi my battery is plenty good enough to last all day with room to spare...

lucasvictor

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Charger is not that important.

You may want to turn off sync, turn off Google service, turn off mobile data and wifi when not in use.

Btw, how's mobile signal? Strong?

@T-Mobile GN3

The point that I was trying to make was - I was trying to figure out the one variable in the entire battery equation that was causing the battery drain for me. I didn't change anything about LTE signal. I was still spending the same amount of time at work and at home but the difference in over 1 day of battery with 4 hours of screen time and just a 10 hours battery life with 2 hours of screen time was inexplicable. I was just trying to get to the root of the issue. The same LTE + wi-fi combo was giving me awesome battery just 4 days ago. SO had to be something that took place in the last 4 days and that's why I started retracing my steps to see what changed in the last 4 days. It didn't take me long to realize that Monday was the day when I had downloaded what's app and that's the day when I started noticeable battery drain again (even though it wasn't showing up in my battery stats).

May be What's App devs just need to release an update with better compatibility with Kikat. I just know it worked for me. For me, personally, it kinda sucks that I as an end user have to be watchful for these apps/processes instead of OS doing a better job but then I am still slightly biased because of my long experiece with iOS. Whether my iPhone 5 had decent battery life may be debatable, but at least it was consistent; day in and day out. Similarly if I know that my phone habits can get me through an entire day with almost 4 hours of screen time, it is a bit frustrating to know that next day, I could exhaust my battery by 2 PM on a work day. Agreed, we can have chargers everywhere but again to me, it is the consistency that I am more concerned with.

As i said earlier too, I am more than happy with the phone and going back to iOS will be tough for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar