Google Now - am I missing something?

Mike Richmond2

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Here is my Everything Else screen1385328045062.jpg

And please don't tell me to answer 'yes' to those two questions. I don't want more weather or travel updates.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes - my work and home locations, some stocks, none of the sports teams as none of the sports I follow are in the list.

And you're getting updates for all those things?
And what sports do you follow?
Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Mike Richmond2

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
If you give google now location access or whatever, it'll follow where you go most often and ask you if thats work or school or whatever, then it'll start giving you directions or routes to get there depending on what you use to get there. For transit, it'll learn the bus or train stations closest to you and and work and give you the times the bus/train arrives and how long it'll take you to get to your destination.

I have had all location access allowed for the last few weeks, visited four towns and cities,been to the theatre, half a dozen restaurants, etc. All Now appears to suggest is travel and weather. Is it really just a weather and travel tool?

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I have had all location access allowed for the last few weeks, visited four towns and cities,been to the theatre, half a dozen restaurants, etc. All Now appears to suggest is travel and weather. Is it really just a weather and travel tool?

Nope. I'm getting a lot more than just travel and weather. On all the other stuff you got them switched on right? Shows yes instead of no?

Mike Richmond2

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Nope. I'm getting a lot more than just travel and weather. On all the other stuff you got them switched on right? Shows yes instead of no?

Every setting I can find is switched on. There aren't many.

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I get updates on travel and weather. I switched off the stock info, as I really don't need it all the time.

I follow cricket, tennis,taekwondo, skiing....

Ahh yeah you'd need a sports app for those ones.

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Every setting I can find is switched on. There aren't many.

Sorry man I'm out of ideas.. If you go look at those videos I posted, you'll see that google now can do a lot more things than you think. You'll find lots of them useful I think.

Mike Richmond2

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Sorry man I'm out of ideas.. If you go look at those videos I posted, you'll see that google now can do a lot more things than you think. You'll find lots of them useful I think.

I appreciate your help. My hunch is that there is an issue in how Now cards function since the 4.4 update. It appears to be about 50/50 for the respondents to this thread whether or not they get anything apart from travel and weather (and stocks and the limited selection of sports).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
What is the non-travel, non-weather stuff you get?

I'm getting stuff from my sports teams, calendar and "research topics" which is things you search up frequently I guess. I think you may be right about something. The cards themselves are limited, but the ok google thing, you can do a lot with.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I've read through this thread and am still wondering what specific things Mike Redmond2 wants from Google Now. I've seen movies and entertainment mentioned, and I certainly can't help with those. What else are you looking for?

Google Now's usefulness will vary from person-to-person. I've seen people here discount the traffic information. I live in an area with terrible traffic conditions. The alerts that I get if traffic is exceptionally bad on my way to work are helpful because I can plan an alternate route before I leave home. With the commute that I had around 12 years ago, this would have rarely been useful, as my commute was three miles on side streets and accidents/delays were rare. My current commute has typical delays, atypical delays and accidents that can vary my commute from 22 minutes to over one hour. Google Now's traffic alerts are valuable to me.

If I search for items online on my desktop PC, information related to those items come up in a card on Google Now without any additional action on my part. If I search for a store, I get the travel time and directions to the store. I recently searched for the upcoming Jolla Sailfish phone; Google Now created a card with news and reviews of the phone.

When I travel, relevant cards pop up without my intervention. I received notification about a flight delay before the airline notified me. Once I got to the destination, places of interest popped up.

As I typed this, I checked Google Now. There was information regarding the Nokia Lumia 925, as I had searched for this earlier today on my desktop. Also, movie information is in the Everything Else area (I have it set not to update me, so I don't know what information is offered there).

Two things come to mind here. It seems that you (Mike Redmond2) are not in the US. Maybe all options are not available for you in your country. Second, when you search the internet on your desktop, are you signed in to Google? I would think that you are if you use Chrome, but I don't want to make an assumption.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Google Now also shows scores for favorite teams, upcoming local events, package shipping info, flight reminder, movie suggestions, calendar reminders, etc. You might have to use it for a while before more info starts showing up.

Posted via Android Central App

For me, all of this ^ is totally unnecessary. I find Google Now totally useless and a shot in the dark at best if you are in a city where you know no one and can't seem to find food. Then again, I don't need to be told where to eat, who won the game and what movie to watch. I just don't live my life out of a phone.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i turned off Google Now on my phone. i find it intrusive and "noisy". i don't want my device throwing cards at me at random times. especially info which is old, redundant, or i don't need anymore - such as - anything that you searched for but changed your mind on later. it's annoying.

i'm sure over time it will get better and get more precise, more perfected. but the cards just really annoyed me in general. the type of information it was giving me i like to go get "on demand" rather than thrown at me randomly at random times. i don't like the unpredictability of when i was getting that information. i like full control. in addition, the battery drain was significant.

QWIKSTRIKE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate your help. My hunch is that there is an issue in how Now cards function since the 4.4 update. It appears to be about 50/50 for the respondents to this thread whether or not they get anything apart from travel and weather (and stocks and the limited selection of sports).

For me, all of this ^ is totally unnecessary. I find Google Now totally useless and a shot in the dark at best if you are in a city where you know no one and can't seem to find food. Then again, I don't need to be told where to eat, who won the game and what movie to watch. I just don't live my life out of a phone.

You forgot my mention of Television, restaurant, places and events such as movies concerts walkathons, navigation integration, but you seem to have reading impairment or just loathing for the application to which I say good luck to what you seek!

Oofa since you find it un-necessary then turn the cards off. However; When I am out of town and want reccomendations to eat or where to stay I find that places is pretty accurate about the choices people reccomend. You have control to turn the cards off that are irrelevant rather than to have therm keep popping up.lol The best thing about America is the choice is yours to do as you like. You are certainly entitled to your thoughts, but with the cards on AND THINGS WORKING I CAN GET THROUGH A DAY .

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Right now I have 4 cards for nearby concerts I didn't know about and also a comedy performance and a WWE smack down. Maybe not earth shatteringly important but I never look in the paper so it's nice to know about.

I get cards for area restaurants and pubs, and Google Now asks me if I'd like to watch favorite TV shows and movies (or just ones I've done searches on for some reason).

This morning Google Now tossed up a simple multi card tutorial to encourage me to set an alarm, make an appointment, and use voice dialing and texting, and other stuff.

The more I'd go places and do things the more Google Now could improve its helpfulness. Right now it's just trying to anticipate what I'd want based on my searches.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2