Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 103
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Google Now - am I missing something?

    I see reviews saying that Google Now is the best thing since sliced bread, but all it ever tells me is the weather and the driving time to work.

    What am I missing?

    If it helps, I have given full location access, search history. I use Google as my only search engine. When I try to customise Now, the options I get are sports teams, stocks, places and everything else. 'Everything Else' includes only 4 items on travel and weather.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    Google Now also shows scores for favorite teams, upcoming local events, package shipping info, flight reminder, movie suggestions, calendar reminders, etc. You might have to use it for a while before more info starts showing up.

    Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    Hmmm. 3 weeks and I haven't had any of those yet. Gmail is very much a tertiary email address for me, so my hunch is that Now will never pick up much of this. A shame.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    I'm with you, used it with the N5 and just found it not much use. Didn't put my flight details in, showed inaccurate weather (in Aus) and chewed through the battery. I just don't get it.

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    Much the same for me. Shown me the weather (much less accurately than one weather) and tells me how far to drive to somewhere I've already been and come back from. Outside of that, squat. The sports are very limited too. Disable for me.
  6. #6  
    gdruin74's Avatar

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    This is the Ford vs Chevy debate or canon vs Nikon both ios and Android are very good operating systems but neither is perfect it really does just come down to personal preference neither one is for everybody

    Sent from my XT1060
  7. #7  
    gdruin74's Avatar

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    Quote Originally Posted by gdruin74 View Post
    This is the Ford vs Chevy debate or canon vs Nikon both ios and Android are very good operating systems but neither is perfect it really does just come down to personal preference neither one is for everybody

    Sent from my XT1060
    Sorry that post somehow would up in wrong thread

    Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    I'm with you, have never found any use for it at all really. Find it a bit bemusing whenever reviewers say how useful it is. I know everyone's different but the only stuff I seem to get from it is stuff I already know.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    Quote Originally Posted by TechAddict View Post
    Much the same for me. Shown me the weather (much less accurately than one weather) and tells me how far to drive to somewhere I've already been and come back from. Outside of that, squat. The sports are very limited too. Disable for me.
    The only useful thing I get from Google Now is traffic alerts. I drive 21 miles each way to work and home, a typical 30 minute trip most of it along an interstate highway; every now and then Google Now warns me that my trip will take "xx minutes longer than usual" or something like that. Small numbers like 5 or 6 minutes don't bother me, but when I saw one that said 42 minutes I knew enough to investigate and modify my usual route.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    I like the idea of Google Now, but I get the sense that a few factors are going to stop it being of much material use to me for the near future. My work calendar and email are necessarily secure and inaccessible to Google, and they dominate my planning and communication - I recognise that is always going to make it hard for Google. I am, however, disappointed that it can't make more of all the information Google does see from my web browsing, searching and location.

    Does anyone have more positive experiences to recount (preferably not based on the weather and road conditions), and suggestions as to how to encourage it to deliver on its promise?
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    The only useful thing I get from Google Now is traffic alerts. I drive 21 miles each way to work and home, a typical 30 minute trip most of it along an interstate highway; every now and then Google Now warns me that my trip will take "xx minutes longer than usual" or something like that. Small numbers like 5 or 6 minutes don't bother me, but when I saw one that said 42 minutes I knew enough to investigate and modify my usual route.

    I get traffic alerts that a are great. With my address for home and work installed I get updates of traffic conditions and ETA to those places. I get weather updates that seem always accurate no matter where I go. I get driving directions when I need them, by just saying navigate to xyz. I get information on restuarant, and gas locations. I can search for places of relevance like auto repair shops. You get your favorite team updates....and much much more. You can get Stock Market updates as well. Most importantly you have to turn on the features of Google Now in the settings, and implement information for the cards that you like. Make sure voice iteraction is set up. Also make sure that GPS and Google Now is also turned on.

    If you don't trun on features it won't work. Settings are on bootom of Google Now page when you scroll down on the right hand side.
    Thanked by:
    TgeekB 
    J T M and Battleship like this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Richmond2 View Post
    I see reviews saying that Google Now is the best thing since sliced bread, but all it ever tells me is the weather and the driving time to work.

    What am I missing?

    If it helps, I have given full location access, search history. I use Google as my only search engine. When I try to customise Now, the options I get are sports teams, stocks, places and everything else. 'Everything Else' includes only 4 items on travel and weather.
    Try "OK Google .... Remind me to buy a paint brush the next time I'm at Home Depot".

    Then Google will search for the nearest Home Depot and you tell your phone this is the Home Depot you want that locks on the store's GPS location. Now two week after you go into Home Depot and the GPS triggers the Notification that you want a to buy a Paint Brush.

    Here are more commands...

    [GUIDE] Google Now
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    Quote Originally Posted by QWIKSTRIKE View Post
    I get traffic alerts that a are great. With my address for home and work installed I get updates of traffic conditions and ETA to those places. I get weather updates that seem always accurate no matter where I go. I get driving directions when I need them, by just saying navigate to xyz. I get information on restuarant, and gas locations. I can search for places of relevance like auto repair shops. You get your favorite team updates....and much much more. You can get Stock Market updates as well. Most importantly you have to turn on the features of Google Now in the settings, and implement information for the cards that you like. Make sure voice iteraction is set up. Also make sure that GPS and Google Now is alos turned on.

    If you don't trun on features it won't work. Settings are on bootom of Google Now page when you scrool fown on the right hand side.
    I think I have every feature turned on, but the only features I can find are (as I mentioned before) travel, weather, sports and finance. It has full access to my web browsing, search and location, and GPS is always on. I get nothing except traffic and weather (and neither are as good as I need or get from other apps), and I don't follow American Football or Soccer, so the sports teams are irrelevant. It has never mentioned a restaurant, a museum, an event, a petrol station or anything else for that matter. It is disappointingly shy.
  14. #14  
    antman451's Avatar

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    I use it for reminders ("remind me to whatever when whatever happens") CONSTANTLY. The other stuff is cool, but the smart reminders are the biggest thing for me. I don't have to make lists for anything any more. Remind me to get foil next time I'm at the store. Remind me to get a new ax next time I'm at Home Depot. Remind me to get stuff out of the fridge before I go home.

    Also, last time one of my flights got delayed it was updating me with the correct time information before the people working for the airline even announced it.

    Sent via lightsaber
    Slow_S10 likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    Try "OK Google .... Remind me to buy a paint brush the next time I'm at Home Depot".

    Then Google will search for the nearest Home Depot and you tell your phone this is the Home Depot you want that locks on the store's GPS location. Now two week after you go into Home Depot and the GPS triggers the Notification that you want a to buy a Paint Brush.

    Here are more commands...

    [GUIDE] Google Now
    Thanks - the reminder thing based on location looks cool. I may keep Now on just for that.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    I felt the same way in the beginning but now I love it. Once Google learns your habits, searches, locations etc its great. Now I use Gmail, Google, Google Maps etc

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    Much of the expanded capability of Google Now comes from the content of your email. You'll get more stuff at that point like travel reservation alerts, shipping status, etc. I don't use Gmail. But I do have Gmail set to POP3 my personal email account. That way Gmail gets all of my email to feed Google Now. Since Gmail storage is so vast I just let me personal email build up there with the added benefit of a second, permanent archive with good search ability.

    Don't forget that the main use of Google Now is the interaction with it in real time like with Siri. The predictive stuff is just gravy really.
    Thanked by:
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    No just gmail. Anything you do on various google services anywhere while logged into Google account will give Google Now a hint to prompt something. For example, I routinely use desktop Google Maps to search for places I'm going to visit. Shortly after, Google Now will show a route and traffic information.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Richmond2 View Post
    I think I have every feature turned on, but the only features I can find are (as I mentioned before) travel, weather, sports and finance. It has full access to my web browsing, search and location, and GPS is always on. I get nothing except traffic and weather (and neither are as good as I need or get from other apps), and I don't follow American Football or Soccer, so the sports teams are irrelevant. It has never mentioned a restaurant, a museum, an event, a petrol station or anything else for that matter. It is disappointingly shy.

    Have you asked it for restaurants in the arera or types of restaurants like "seafood"? Have you asked for the nearest gas station. I was lost and the gas light came on and I asked for ther nearest gas station and it pulled it up. When in the country this saved me from having a nice walk. With the gps turned on I say places of interest and it gives me listings of places withing 20 miles. I was in Central Park and hear music and asked whats going on and it pulled up a free concert in the Park which I had no idea was happening and enjoyed going to that event.

    I think you just have to ask reasonable questions. Like the where is the nearest gas station, navigate to XYZ, Places of interest, where's a a good place to eat., what's todays NBA schedule. Navigate to the nearest Home Depot., Best Buy, "supermarket of choice". O.K Google Set the alarm for 6 a.m. Also remember If you don't ask about things relevant to what you like how is it suppose to figure this out.


    I dare you to make sure the settings of voice interaction and all features are turned on and then ask it to navigate to the nearest gas station, or the places of interest, or where is the nearest Walmart. I really fail to see how this works for me and every one that I show how to set it up results happen. I think it still needs a little help but for the most part it is a very good feature to have especially when home address, work address, and cards are set up. When asking things like I mentioned it works very well.

    I just asked the square root of pi it answered me with the square root of pi.

    Gmail may have a play in some things However; getting nearset gas station locations or asking it to navigate to nearest locations, or finding places of interest has "nothing" to do with Gmail.lol
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Richmond2 View Post
    Thanks - the reminder thing based on location looks cool. I may keep Now on just for that.
    Unlike the iPhone's Siri voice assistant, Google Now tries to anticipate what you need and offer that before you even have to ask. It delivers information based on past search requests, Gmail traffic Relevant Products/Services and other ways you use Google services. The more you use it, the more it learns.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    Qwikstrike - I am happy that it answers questions and performs actions based on my location. It also has a good reminder system. However, I was really asking how to get it to live up to the claim made for it by Google:

    "See helpful cards with information that you need throughout your day, before you even ask."

    So far, apart from the weather and driving times, it has told me nothing I haven't actively asked it, despite my long-term use of Google and Chrome.

    I have taken Jalan94's advice and set my main private email address to forward to gmail. Let's see if Now can learn something about me....

    Just answering my active questions doesn't take a whole home screen in the interface design - that is covered by the one-line search bar.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Richmond2 View Post
    Qwikstrike - I am happy that it answers questions and performs actions based on my location. It also has a good reminder system. However, I was really how to get it to live up to the claim made for it by Google:

    "See helpful cards with information that you need throughout your day, before you even ask."

    So far, apart from the weather and driving times, it has told me nothing I haven't actively asked it, despite my long-term use of Google and Chrome.

    I have taken Jalan94's advice and set my main private email address to forward to gmail. Let's see if Now can learn something about me....




    Start setting up cards and it'll learn more about you btw. And I think a lot of you should take a look at these videos to find out more about what google now can do.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    Quote Originally Posted by festinator View Post
    Start setting up cards and it'll learn more about you btw
    What exactly do you mean by 'start setting up cards'? All I see in the 'customise' section (pressing the little wand) is sports teams, stocks, places, and 'Everything Else' - where EE is just Weather at work or at home.

    Where are all these cards I read about?
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    Google Now has an annoying habit now of often telling me I have no connection when in fact I do and all other apps work well. But that's a different issue. I'm going to talk about what Now does, doesn't do, and could do.

    Pulling up Google Now I have five cards. Two sports cards - Ticats and Roughriders, Leafs and Blue Jackets. Clicking on one of these cards shows me the score of the most recent game and shows a schedule of past and upcoming games. It's very limited. I can't quickly find out other games being played today for teams that aren't my favourite, and I can't quickly look at stats or standings. This is why I have TheScore, which gives me everything I need to know and includes a widget which when I click on, gives me access to much more information than Google.

    Then I have the weather. It shows me the current weather along with the next few days forecast. If I want to find out the hourly forecast, which to me is more important, I have to click it. A notification which appears occasionally is also very limited. Eye In The Sky has an ongoing notification that displays all the information I need with one swipe from the notification bar.

    Now there's travel times with my (not so) preferred transportation mode, public transit. It tells me the time to work and to my mom's. This is an area that needs a lot of improvement. Google asks me about the most obscure places I don't care about and doesn't ask me about places I actually go to a lot. Hence why I have only two cards.

    The most useful feature for me, when it works, is when it tells me the bus times at a bus stop. Much easier than pulling up Maps, finding my stop, and pulling up the schedule. However more often than not I either don't get a card or it shows me a card at a stop a few blocks away.

    Movie times are useful, but it shows up only when I'm at the cinema. Usually by the time I get to the cinema I know what movie I'm going to see and that's why I'm there at that particular time.

    News topics. Well that's cool, and someones useful, but again it's so limited that I'd rather just use feedly, or more recently, Google Play Newsstand.

    Everyone likes to talk about cards with package, flight, and reservation info. But how often are you going to use that? For most people, not every day. Let me ask this, when was the last time you made a reservation at a restaurant via email? Lol.

    Google needs to allow apps to add their own cards within design guidelines. In a way this would replace needing multiple screens to swipe through widgets. Imagine being able to access your email or bank accounts through Mint.com or Google Wallet in Now. Think of a feedly widget that shows you personalized articles of your choosing in Now. This is what Google needs to do with Now, make it customizable and eliminate the need for multiple home screens - make everything available with one swipe and a quick scroll. With Google Now being a part of the hone screen in GEL, you can essentially unlock your phone and have all your custom information on hand from the get-go. As it stands Google Now is a very cool concept, but far too limited and outdone by apps that specialize in their respective categories.

    Posted via Android Central App
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Google Now - am I missing something?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Richmond2 View Post
    Qwikstrike - I am happy that it answers questions and performs actions based on my location. It also has a good reminder system. However, I was really asking how to get it to live up to the claim made for it by Google:

    "See helpful cards with information that you need throughout your day, before you even ask."

    So far, apart from the weather and driving times, it has told me nothing I haven't actively asked it, despite my long-term use of Google and Chrome.

    I have taken Jalan94's advice and set my main private email address to forward to gmail. Let's see if Now can learn something about me....

    Just answering my active questions doesn't take a whole home screen in the interface design - that is covered by the one-line search bar.






    Yes, but for that to happen you have to have cards that you like set up. It is not a fortune teller or has ESP. I think you maybe just a bit confused on how it works. As I mentioned earlier you must set up the cards that you are interested in such as sports, entertainment, movies,.....ect. For instance when ever I leave town wherever I go it lets me know the traffic conditions on my return trip before I even leave. Throughout the day the cards will show up and display traffic conditions along the route that I normally take home. It recognizes the places that I frequent most and alerts me of weather and traffic conditons to those destinations. When I go visti relatives or friends cards pop up and display the time that I normally depart for home and alert me of traffic conditions.

    These things won't completely work if you don't set thje information up. You need to set up how you travel most, bike, walk, plane, train or car. I would set up home, and work destination addresses, and then let the cards take over by setting up voice interaction, gps and tracking. Phone search has apps, chrome, contacts, and play movies and tv that must be checked in Google Now Search and Now settings. With these things checked in the settings you should get the same results that I am getting.

    Google now works based on data conncetions so if you lose data connections it will not work. Thew cards amust be setup as I mentioned the 1st time around, and wif no data is there it will not work with server data.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-31-2014, 10:26 AM
  2. Stop clearing Google Services Framework apk for Update
    By Shilohcane in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-09-2014, 07:17 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-25-2013, 01:18 PM
  4. Amazon App Store Missing
    By Greg C in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-25-2013, 11:20 AM
  5. So I am not the only one?
    By BotMaster in forum Android App Inventor
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-24-2013, 12:32 AM

Posting Permissions