Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By xstinkyx
  • 1 Post By chadbordes
  • 1 Post By ianhanson85
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is there a way to attach videos in hangouts?

is there a way to attach videos? i just see record video. thanks
    Thanked by:
  2. Best Answer

MMS can handle tiny Videos...

Google does not allow Hangouts to send video files at the moment.. Only pictures / location. Maybe they will update it later in the future? Who knows? .

Default Re: attaching videos in hangouts

A video is too large. If you go into your gallery and locate the video you will see Hangouts is not a sharing option.
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

but there is an option to record a 20 second video and send it mms

Where do you see that? The video camera icon you see when you enter someone's name or number is for video chat/call.
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by luvx77x8o4 View Post
    but there is an option to record a 20 second video and send it mms
    It's more than 20 seconds. 45 seconds, no? (Although last night it stopped with 10 seconds remaining for some reason.)

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    A video is too large. If you go into your gallery and locate the video you will see Hangouts is not a sharing option.
    And this is another way in which iOS's Messages is better than Android's Hangouts.

In Messages I can select a short video I've previously taken and send it directly to another Messages user (via data not mms). If the video size is too large to send the app lets me trim it to a sendable length. But I can send/receive a 90 second decent quality video this way (again, I realize it's not via mms).

Even if I have just a 5 second 480p video (~3.75MB) I maddeningly can't send that via Hangouts (to, say, another android/hangouts user). I can only create a fresh mms-capable video, a video that will be of crappy quality, a video that will be Auto Uploaded but which won't be viewable in the phone's Gallery.

I agree, iMessage works MUCH better when it comes to sending videos. Here is my thoughts on Hangouts and MMS/SMS
    Couple things I have noticed with Hangouts and MMS issues
    1.I noticed on my PC I can add a video of any length to a hangout and it will upload it. It downgrades the quality a bit depending on the size of the video but it works. Now on my Nexus 5 you don't have this option, you can record a 20 second video before hand and then upload it but thats lame. I hope they do the same on the phone version like they do on the desktop in a future update.
    2. If all else fails and you simply don't like Hangouts for your sms/mms I will suggest you try Textra. This sms/mms replacement app is the best I have seen on Android(and I have tried all of them). It has a very simplistic interface without all the extra bloat of others (Im talking to you GOsms!)with emoji/group messaging and even a fantastic gif upload feature that has 1000's of gif's to choose from.
    Im really wanting to just use Hangouts as my all in one messaging/sms app and its almost there, almost.

I sometimes don't get why android is the last to get stuff created for android. We cant send video messages, iphone can. We cant use data to send text, iphone can. Im all for android and Im not switching to iphone for a number of reasons, but why is it so hard? Oh well, maybe soon enough.

The inability to send videos through text is the ONLY thing I miss from my iPhone. If android got this right I would never give apple another look.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    Andreas Palmblad likes this.

I agree with everything said here. Just switched from ihpone and miss sending videos

Any recommendations for apps to upload and share a link to a shared video in Hangouts? Thanks.

MMS can handle tiny Videos...

Google does not allow Hangouts to send video files at the moment.. Only pictures / location. Maybe they will update it later in the future? Who knows? .
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.