Must-have apps for the Nexus 5?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Applications that are must haves?

ES File Explorer
Poweramp
Tapatalk

And a bunch more, but those 3 are essential (maybe not if you use Play Music or only visit one forum site).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Agree with a file manager and a function toggling widget.

@T-Mobile GN3

ManInTheBox10

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Avast
Dashclock
Eye in the sky
Noozxoide EIZO-rewire (by far the most important)
Power toggles
Sleepbot
Sliding explorer
Tasker
tTorrent

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Avast
Dashclock
Eye in the sky
Noozxoide EIZO (by far the most important)
Power toggles
Sleepbot
Sliding explorer
Tasker
tTorrent

LOL! I don't have a single one of those. (Don't have an N5, either. But that's neither here nor there. Apps is apps.) Not pickin' on ya, MITB. It's just rare that somebody comes up with a list and I don't have at least one of the apps on it :)

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

LOL! I don't have a single one of those. (Don't have an N5, either. But that's neither here nor there. Apps is apps.) Not pickin' on ya, MITB. It's just rare that somebody comes up with a list and I don't have at least one of the apps on it :)

lol, I do have tTorrent, its quite convenient.

ManInTheBox10

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site

Haha its alright. That's just my personal list of must haves. I do think noozxoide and sliding explorer should be on every phone though. ES explorer works well too, it just isn't as pretty.

Posted via Android Central App

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

- Dropbox and/or Box.com
- Any file manager (Astro is a good free one)
- Chrome and/or Firefox
- Flashlight app (Nexus Torch is a good one)
- Nova Prime (just my opinion...I have never seen a better native launcher, not even GEL)
- SMS Backup and Call Log Backup

There are others, but those I would consider essential for everyone.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

- Elixir 2 (if you want toggles for anything in your drop-down notification panel)
- Pocket (used to be Read It Later)
- Dashclock widget
- Dropbox
- Google Keep & Google Translate
- PayPal
- Pocket Casts (podcasts)
- QuickPic (best gallery replacement)
- MX Video
- Kindle
- TuneIn Radio Pro
- AnkiDroid (if you want to memorize anything)
- CalenGoo (best replacement calendar in my opinion; even replaced "Pure Calendar Widget" for me, which was originally my replacement for "Jorte", which was originally a replacement for the stock phone's app. So, yeah, CalenGoo = most incredible calendar app ever...you can freakin' wirelessly print your agenda or task view even).
- CamScanner (make PDFs with your phone's camera and easily e-mail them)
- Gentle Alarm (need a UI overhaul to be in line with Google's Android guidelines, but still functions as the most amazing alarm clock I've ever had. It uses sleep cycles to know when exactly to wake you up so you aren't grumpy).
- Mr. Number (block unwanted Spam calls with the tap of a button when they call)
- Postagram (send cheap-as-something-that's-really-cheap postcards locally or even internationally (I often send from U.S to Japan); they take care of the postage costs and everything, you just create the card on your phone using your camera and typing your message))
- Rewards (Google periodically sends your phone quick 30-second and 60-second surveys which you answer on your phone; you then receive free Google Play credit - sometimes in 25 cents increments, sometimes in dollar increments, depending on the length of the survey. I have $3.25 saved up so far.)

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

There's a lot, but many have substitutes (albeit poor ones). These however, do not, imo:

Greenify
Root Explorer
AdAway

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

- Mr. Number (block unwanted Spam calls with the tap of a button when they call)

I was taking a look at Mr. Number:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mrnumber.blocker

And filtered the comments by Latest Version and the Nexus 5. The five resulting ratings range all the way from a perfect 5 star to a mere 1 star. The two most negative ratings say it doesn't block texts. Does it work for you?

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
My Top 10 apps:

Metro Notifications
QuickPic
Evernote
Beyond Podcast Manager
mSecure Password Manager
8sms
Tune-in Radio Pro
go41cx
Clean Master
Avast Mobile Security

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I am a newbye, consider me like a baby android, something like c3po. Can you describe me what are these apps useful for?

The choice of apps is very personal for each user, and the ones I've listed are what I prefer, based upon trying several different options. Brief description of each one:

Metro Notifications: a very customizable popup app notification, which appears across the top of the screen.

QuickPic: an alternative to the stock photo "Gallery", which is much faster, easier to work with, and more customizable.

Evernote: Arguably the best note taking app, expandable across different platforms.

Beyond Podcast Manager: podcast player

mSecure: secure password storage app. There are other good apps for this, but this is the one I've used for years.

8sms: good, simple texting app. I dislike the functionality of the stock "Hangouts".

Tune-in radio: real-time streaming internet radio player.

go41cx: HP41CX calculator emulator. It's an engineer thing.

Clean Master: device management. Helps to clean up and delete excess and "stranded" files, freeing up space.

Avast: antivirus

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12