TURBOSPARTAN

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I've never seen this popup - does this pop up when you have WiFi? or 3g/4g? In either case, I've never seen this.

It ALWAYS pops up, and I rarely use WiFi. My WiFi at home blows, not sure why I even pay for it... I normally just use my cell signal as my LTE or even HSPA and possibly even Edge (though I rarely get it) is faster than my WiFI (DSL internet, old wiring in building).

http://i.imgur.com/C38xT99.png

C38xT99.png

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
1. "You Have Internet Connection" bubble that pops up to inform you, but it stays on the screen for way too long. It gets in the way of videos, text, etc... you basically have to wait until the bubble goes away before you can see/read the text underneath. How can I turn this off?

Agree with jj14x, this is not a typical window that occurs on the Nexus 5. I suspect it may be due to some other app. Do you have any apps installed that manage or optimize wi-fi or mobile data connections?

EDIT--oh, I just saw your screenshot. That does look like a system message. Let me dig a little deeper about this ...

2. For some reason, when on Bluetooth in my vehicle, the Google Play Music icon will pop up in the Notification Bar, even though I didn't open that app / don't want it open / not even listening to music... just want to use the BT for phone purposes.

That's weird. Are you sure it's the Google Play Music icon? Could it possibly be an icon to let you know that a headphone is attached? The Play Music icon should appear on the left side, while headphone icons should appear on the right.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try this: Go to Settings>Wireless & Networks, and turn on Wi-Fi. Then tap Wi-Fi so that you see the list of all of the available networks. Press the Menu button, then Advanced. Uncheck "Network Notification" and "Scanning always available" and see if that notification keeps on popping up. If that works, I think it's the latter option that is the important one. I think when "Scanning always available" is checked, the device will periodically scan for available wi-fi networks (even if your wi-fi isn't turned on), and notify you when an open connection is available.

TURBOSPARTAN

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Agree with jj14x, this is not a typical window that occurs on the Nexus 5. I suspect it may be due to some other app. Do you have any apps installed that manage or optimize wi-fi or mobile data connections?

EDIT--oh, I just saw your screenshot. That does look like a system message. Let me dig a little deeper about this ...

That's weird. Are you sure it's the Google Play Music icon? Could it possibly be an icon to let you know that a headphone is attached? The Play Music icon should appear on the left side, while headphone icons should appear on the right.

100% the Google Play Music icon, the little headphones and when I pull down my Notification bar... it ALWAYS shows the album art from the Indicud album (I have probably 10 albums on my phone, but it ALWAYS shows the Indicud art...). It will show up, then I'll clear it, then it'll show up again, and then even sometimes it will disappear on its own. 2012 Grand Cherokee, if that matters at all.

TURBOSPARTAN

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Try this: Go to Settings>Wireless & Networks, and turn on Wi-Fi. Then tap Wi-Fi so that you see the list of all of the available networks. Press the Menu button, then Advanced. Uncheck "Network Notification" and "Scanning always available" and see if that notification keeps on popping up. If that works, I think it's the latter option that is the important one. I think when "Scanning always available" is checked, the device will periodically scan for available wi-fi networks (even if your wi-fi isn't turned on), and notify you when an open connection is available.

Network Notifications is greyed out, and I cannot "uncheck" the box.

Keep WiFi on during sleep = only when plugged in
Scanning Always Available = not checked
Avoid Poor Connections = check
Wifi Freq Band = Auto
WiFi Optimazation = check

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Network Notifications is greyed out, and I cannot "uncheck" the box.

Is your wi-fi radio turned on? This box will be greyed out if wi-fi is off.

Bummer, I thought the "Scanning always available" would be the answer. But see what happens if you turn off Network Notifications.

TURBOSPARTAN

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Is your wi-fi radio turned on? This box will be greyed out if wi-fi is off.

Bummer, I thought the "Scanning always available" would be the answer. But see what happens if you turn off Network Notifications.

The "greyed out" becomes available when I turn on WiFi, but it doesn't stop the bubble from popping up.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Having a hard time with the Nexus 5 eBay app, sending multiple notifications for the same event.Drives me nuts.
If anyone knows what to do with this please do come forward :)

That has nothing to do with the Nexus 5, eBay produces their own app. You'll have to go into the settings of that app and change the notifications. I'm not sure what settings it provides but hopefully it would give intervals you could customize. Otherwise, just turn off notifications if you aren't watching an auction carefully, perhaps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
It ALWAYS pops up, and I rarely use WiFi. My WiFi at home blows, not sure why I even pay for it... I normally just use my cell signal as my LTE or even HSPA and possibly even Edge (though I rarely get it) is faster than my WiFI (DSL internet, old wiring in building).

Weird... I've never seen that. It is possible that you have some app installed that is producing this message? (maybe your carrier caused some app to be installed that generates this notification?)

TURBOSPARTAN

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Weird... I've never seen that. It is possible that you have some app installed that is producing this message? (maybe your carrier caused some app to be installed that generates this notification?)

Carrier is ATT, though I bought the phone from the Play Store. Looking through my apps... really cannot see any of these causing this message bubble. I actually don't even use that many apps, I only have 1 home screen, other than Google Now.

spartan2003

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
turbospartan:

Did you ever resolve the "you have internet connection" on your phone. I have the same problem with a Samsung Galaxy S5 while in a building using a Samsung Network extender.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez