Google's Replacement Policy Sucks!

Ikeman90

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Get your moto g. They do the same I guarantee. You do realize Google owns that part of Motorola. Would you rather them wait for you to ship back you device b4 they ship you a new one. Then you would be without for a whole week no less. They only charge your account so if you decide to not send back their phone you basically just bought another one. This is common business practice. Slam Google all you want but since they don't have store fronts you have to ship these things and just deal with it. I shipped back my first n10 and "forgot" to include the charger. They didn't charge me the cost of one. Call it a win.

Posted via Android Central App via the shiny new Nexus 5 and a half

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
They should just do it like a warranty replacement. I had to get an LG G2 replaced by att and didn't need to preauthorize anything. They sent me the new phone and I have 10 days from the day of receipt to send the other back and then they would charge me. Everyone doesn't do a preauthorized hold for a replacement. Apple didn't do this to me either for an iphone replacement. In my opinion Google's entire policy on warranty needs a little work. From the warranty only being available to the original buyer to this shows their services lags badly behind others especially apple. And service is one of the reasons people love apple. They destroy all other hardware companies in this aspect and that means a lot to many.

Posted via Android Central App

You didn't get a hold on your card because ATT handled the replacement of your G2. And if you didn't return the old one, you'd get charged on your bill. That's been mentioned.

And Apple does the same thing as Google with RMA's. Apple will place a hold on your card for express replacement ($649). Unlike Apple, Google doesn't charge extra for next day shipping, or $19 for technical support.

There is the option to have your device sent out for repairs. But most folks don't want to wait 7-10 days to get their phone back.

DefinedByClass13

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't see why Google can't set up an in-store warranty claim service center within the storefronts that sell the Nexus 5, such as Best Buy, Sprint and T-Mobile? I am also a recent defective unit customer who won't be getting a replacement because I don't have sufficient funds to cover an authorization hold and won't any time soon. So I should just be out of a phone based on my situation over a unit that I didn't damage?

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I don't see why Google can't set up an in-store warranty claim service center within the storefronts that sell the Nexus 5, such as Best Buy, Sprint and T-Mobile? I am also a recent defective unit customer who won't be getting a replacement because I don't have sufficient funds to cover an authorization hold and won't any time soon. So I should just be out of a phone based on my situation over a unit that I didn't damage?
Maybe Best Buy does. Certainly if you bought it through T-Mobile or Sprint store with a contract or a payment plan, they'd take care of it. But you'd also end up paying more for the device. But even if Best Buy does replacement for units they sell, they won't do it for devices sold through the Play store.

Not that I'm unsympathetic, but if you can't cover the cost of a replacement for a while AND buying off contract/full price, it's generally a good idea to keep an older device handy just in cases like this. Not just because you may have to send back a unit, but also because the device may break or be lost. I just don't think it's reasonable to keep no backup device, sell your old phone, buy off the Play store for the price AND expect Google to treat you differently than other manufacturers would.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

krouri

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

Like said here so many times, it is different policy if you nuy from BB/Sprint/T-mobile, they have your account and if you do not send the phone back then they will charge you for another phone.
Onthe other hand google is giving an option to people who can not afford to put a hold on their CC' to send the phone back and get one sent out when this one is received by them. And as stated above always keep a cheap/old phone for backup for cases like these.

DefinedByClass13

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I still have my Palm Pre, Epic 4g and my latest S3. Of course I've always had a back up phone just in case, but those were all Sprint phones. I just switched to T-Mobile so really, it's like I don't have any. Obviously if this phone were purchased from BB, T-Mobile or Sprint, an in-store replacement wouldn't be an issue, but this is regarding devices purchased from Google directly. This is an idea that I seriously think Google should consider.

Cronus12

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I had to return my Nexus 5 recently. With Google the only options is for them to place a hold on your account for the retail amount of the phone, I even offered/asked if I could send the phone to them for a replacement, but according the rep I was dealing with said that was the only option with Google.

The did however transferred me to LG, and the only option they gave me was to ship the phone at my own expense to their Fort Worth repair shop. Then I was simply told that I would be either my repaired phone or a functional replacement in 5-7 business days.

Almost forgot LG will pay for return shipment.:mad:

Cronus12

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Update:
The status was changed to repaired as of 8/7/14, however they didn't ship it out until 8/8/14, and because they are sending it back via fedex home delivery I won't my phone back until 8/13/14.

TheDoctor 46

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Google's return policy couldn't be better. I replaced one of my Nexus 5's. I called in the morning to start the process and had a replacement phone the very next day. Shipped the other one back in the same box and had the hold on my CC removed 24 hours later.

Not to be a ****, but if you're going to buy a $300-$400 smartphone out of pocket and not have a backup, then have the funds in reserve to at least have a hold put on your card.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Granted I use an AMEX and thus authorizations sort of don't matter, but I understand the loss of credit space if one is using a credit or debit card, instead of a charge card.

Honestly, short of Google or an OEM just shipping phones for free (which will never happen) as an replacement for defective devices, their policy IMHO is top notch.

I have had to replace my N5 and N7 and both times Google did so without argument and shockingly they even agreed to replace my N7 a second time after it had gone out of warranty (by a week).

Overall, there will probably never be a perfect way replace defective handsets, but Google's policy is good enough for me.

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12