MMS and Straight Talk Cant receive

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Buy a new sim. It's that simple. Anyone who uses straight talk should just buy 2 Sims. Activate with the first one. Then... Transfer over to the 2nd one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

If I already have activated a few months of service, wouldn't I lose all that credit?

Scott Winn

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I bought my son and I both an AT & T Samsung Galaxy s3 phone; bought both of us the AT & T SIM card from ST as well. Have entered all of the SAME settings above and STILL cannot receive pictures on EITHER phone. We can send but cannot receive. This is just plain stupid and talking with the "customer service' at ST is like talking to a wall. "Elllo....my name iz Bawb' .........bull......his name is probably Shalek or something. ST service works great for me but I"d rather be caned naked in from of WalMart than to have to talk to their customer service people. UGH. If anyone ever finally resolves this problem please let me know. swinn@hotmail.com PLEASE. *Don't tell me to reboot......done that 100 times now......nothing.

Doormaster1

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I am working on this as well. We have 2 Samsung Infuse phones that were on AT&T. Switched to Straight Talk and everything works great EXCEPT, we can not RECEIVE picture texts (mms). I have tried all of the APN settings that I can find and I Factory Reset one of the phones. Nothing is working. Straight Talk reps are no help.
Anyone have any other ideas?

APN1.png
APN2.png

Last edited:

jmiesse134

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
If you post your screenshots of your apn settings i can confirm if they are correct. If they are then there is NOTHING YOU CAN DO EXCEPT GET A 2ND SIM OR WAIT UNTIL YOUR NEXT BILL CYCLE. The people who can't send and receive probably have an apn setting issue.

jmiesse134

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I am working on this as well. We have 2 Samsung Infuse phones that were on AT&T. Switched to Straight Talk and everything works great EXCEPT, we can not RECEIVE picture texts (mms). I have tried all of the APN settings that I can find and I Factory Reset one of the phones. Nothing is working. Straight Talk reps are no help.
Anyone have any other ideas?

View attachment 104217
View attachment 104218

APN looks good. only difference is mine under" apn type" its set to Not Set.

I would order a 2nd sim card and pop it in. transfer number to new sim. You should be good. Its the highest percentage fix for this problem

Garconis

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Was told to use STRAIGHT_TALK as APN name. Was told to leave APN Type blank. I don't know if I'm having MMS issues, as everyone I deal with uses Hangouts...but I am still having data syncing issues (data bars turn orange in Quick Settings pull-down when I lose connectivity, randomly). I got Straight Talk to send me a new SIM, so hopefully that fixes that problem.

Garconis

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Just got a new LTE SIM card from ST. Still same issue. I really gotta get my hands on a version before they switched to the LTE SIM cards. I don't care if I don't get 4G as long as I get my data synced when it's supposed to.

robertson21

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Buy a new sim. It's that simple. Anyone who uses straight talk should just buy 2 Sims. Activate with the first one. Then... Transfer over to the 2nd one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

This must not work for everyone. Got my new SIM yesterday. Still cannot receive mms. Weird thing is, it worked fine on the same sg3 before I ported my number over from verizon. I can still throw the original straight talk sim with the number they gave me in the phone and receive mms fine.

pgardyasz

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
This must not work for everyone. Got my new SIM yesterday. Still cannot receive mms. Weird thing is, it worked fine on the same sg3 before I ported my number over from verizon. I can still throw the original straight talk sim with the number they gave me in the phone and receive mms fine.

Same problem here. I ported a number from Verizon to Straight Talk AT&T Micro Sim in a Nexus5 in January. Porting took 15 minutes or less, and data worked right away. MMS could not send or receive for a week. After calling Straight Talk cust service, they may or may not have changed something on my account, and I could send MMS, but still could not receive. I started a new billing cycle, and could not send or receive MMS again. I ported over my number to a brand new AT&T Micro Sim card (took ten minutes), data works, but I cannot send or receive MMS.

I have tried every possible combination of APN settings, and I was hoping the 2nd SIM card would work like Magic. The issue is with Straight Talk and they do not want to help, and I am out of ideas. I guess I will switch to AIO's $60 for 5 GB LTE plan. Thank you everyone for posting your settings / experiences.

lene76239

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Hello I have a Verizon HTC DNA I ported to straight talk all mobile data works fine
But iI cant send or receive mms. Iam using the att SIM card has anyone tried the t mobile sim? If I have to I will buy another SIM card that seems to have worked for others here. Any help wud be
Great. Thanks

Nathan Ruth

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
These are setting that work on my att note 3 on st only I have 1 addition

Vpn type defualt,mms,supl,hipri,fota
After this was inserted then rebooted it worked my att apn is still on phone also
Copied from my e-mail from Straight Talk. Triple check your settings as I had a minor typo that was preventing mine from working correctly.

APN PROGRAMMING FOR MOST PHONE MODELS:

Once you have reached your phone's APN (Access Point Name) settings, create a new APN with the following values.
1. APN Name: Straight Talk
2. APN: tfdata
3. Port: 80
4. MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
5. MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
6. MMS Port: 80
7. Delete the current APN from your phone.
8. Reboot your phone.
If you need further instructions on how to create the new APN (Data Settings) click here.

I added
Vpn type default,mms,supl,hipri,fota
And it works my att note 3 st recieves and sends mms

Jessi Engel

May 17, 2014
Visit site
hi i have straight talk galaxy s3 and i cant download a pic my friend sent me but i downloaded the one i sent myself but it took a few tries. How do i find my APN.

wfor1pilot

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
After over a week of frustration the new sim fixed the problem

Patients people; jmiesse134 is correct here, I went through 3 sims total but, the 3rd one was the charm. With the first one my phone worked and I could access the internet via chrome & I could send / receive MMS (text) but, no attachments. The second sim worked exactly the same. I was about to give up but, I read another thread (somewhere) to stick to it and keep changing sims till you get a proper one and that was finally the fix. -End of statement

-Details if interested !?!
I've had my (teen) daughter on ST for about two years now so, that's about 2 phones per year plus a new HTC One M8 for Christmas this year (five total) and never had a single problem (mms wise). I'd been w/ VZW "prepaid" for about two years as well and no problems there but, I wanted to try a different phone. Being tired of my Motorola moto G; and after hours of phone reviews I wanted to go w/ a Sony Xperia Z3 "unlocked", that plus switching from VZW to ST will save me about $180 per year ($60 VZW "pre-paid" vs $45 ST) I decided to make the switch to a ST w/ my Z3. I switched my daughters HTC 4G LTE to the M8 and the phone ported in about 20Min. but, it didn't have MMS till the next day (which ST tells you could/should happen). My Z3 took about 3 days to port from VZW to ST; the phone worked but, only w/ basic call service and text (no attachments). I waited for a few more days then fired up google: "ST won't work w/ MMS" and found the update for the VPN settings > still no joy. I found this thread and tried a 2nd SIM > still no joy. I was frustrated and ready to just go to AT&T get a sim from them but, after wasting an hour w/ ST support they said they'd replace my $3 sim and send it out overnight "no charge". I got the 3rd sim sunday (two days ago); called ST, had it switched again it took a day to port (basic phone+text) yesterday then today everything started working.
Contrary to what Einstein says: "doing the exact same thing and expecting a different outcome is madness" seems not to be the case w/ ST. All ST sim's must not be created equal or Einstein is rolling over in his (Hebrew University grave).

A brief review of the two different phones: HTC One M8 vs Sony Xperia Z3:
HTC One M8 Camera works great; if you have perfect conditions. Sony Z3 Camera works great; period! Sony's twin stereo speakers at each of the phone are a great concept, the HTC One M8 speakers are the best on any phone period. The Sony gets a slight edge in battery life but, every user's experience will be different depending on use. All other things considered (display, call quality, responsiveness, boot times, iterations of KitKat: both phones are about equal and in my opinion both way surpass the craftsmanship of the Sam-thingy phone.

**Please have the forum Mod re-name this thread to "Straight Talk can't receive MMS Solved"! -Davis

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey