Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By alhc78
  • 1 Post By madlaw1071
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default So, how good/bad is the camera, really?

Little backstory:

I rocked an iPhone 4S for over a year, and loved the camera on it. It was quick, good focus, good good amount of megapixels.

I then switched to a Nexus 4. I love the device all around, but honestly the camera is ATROCIOUS. I cannot for the life of me get a well focused picture of my 16 months old son.

Is the Nexus 5 a good improvement? I know focus is still slow, but how slow is it? Better?

My other option I'm looking at is the G2, but switching to it would require me to resign a contract with Bell and would shoot my monthly bill through the roof.

Thanks

Default Re: So, how good/bad is the camera, really?

I have 3 kids and have had many phones lately from Note 3, S4, iPhone 5s and this camera is the worst of them all when it comes to getting pics of the kids.

Pro capture app is a great app that is allowing me to get good shots of the kids. Also a update is in the works so I'm hoping we see that soon.

The camera its self is great for motionless pics so once we get the update if they fix the slow focus this camera will be great.

I love the phone and once this camera is fixed I truly will be 100% happy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Zendroid1 likes this.

Horrible at anything that moves (even very slowly moving)
    Great at non moving objects and macros

I still have issues on some shots of non moving objects. The keeper Rate is much lower than my iPhone 5s but when you do get a good focus the pictures are excellent.

Global Posts
    801 Global Posts

While the camera app does have shutter lag, if that isn't an issue - you mostly take photos of people posing or of nature, the quality is amazing. I was out with a friend last night and she had an iPhone 5. When she saw my picture quality in low light (thank you OIS) she basically pocketed her phone and made me take all the pics. The photos put iPhone photos to shame in low-light at least. I'd never seen that in an Android phone camera before.

If you have kids and do need faster shutter lock, use another camera app. I also have Camera Zoom FX installed for when I need to take quick shots. But the quality, I've noticed, suffers slightly compared to the native camera app.

The good news is that Google think the camera and slow focus issue can be fixed with a software update that Google is reportedly already working on a software fix. In my opinion even the current picture quality is all I need in a camera phone since I'm not a big photography buff but when I take pictures I use a real DSLR camera that is better than any phone on the market. The Nexus 5 takes better pictures than I need or every had before including my iPhone 4. I love the HDR+ mode that takes three pictures at different lighting setting and turns it into one great looking picture that is closer to what the human eye can see.

Here is a sample of the Nexus 5 pictures and I wouldn't trade my Nexus 5 for any other phone on the market other than maybe the LG G2 that cost about 35% more.

Nexus 5 camera samples and first impressions
    Last edited by Shilohcane; 11-28-2013 at 12:46 PM.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    While the camera app does have shutter lag, if that isn't an issue - you mostly take photos of people posing or of nature, the quality is amazing. I was out with a friend last night and she had an iPhone 5. When she saw my picture quality in low light (thank you OIS) she basically pocketed her phone and made me take all the pics. The photos put iPhone photos to shame in low-light at least. I'd never seen that in an Android phone camera before.

If you have kids and do need faster shutter lock, use another camera app. I also have Camera Zoom FX installed for when I need to take quick shots. But the quality, I've noticed, suffers slightly compared to the native camera app.

Using a 3rd party camera app does fix/help the shutter speed?

Global Posts
    801 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KarlDag View Post
    Using a 3rd party camera app does fix/help the shutter speed?
    Yes, though at the cost of suffering a slight bit of quality.

It's good at best, and entirely serviceable at worst, in my opinion.

I loved this 360 degree Photo Sphere feature on the Nexus 5.

just go thru the camera photo thread if you want examples
    AzD

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts

Camera is absolutely terrible due to the shutter lag. Completely unacceptable. I only use my phone for candid shots and you just can't get them with this phone.

Quote Originally Posted by AzD View Post
    Camera is absolutely terrible due to the shutter lag. Completely unacceptable. I only use my phone for candid shots and you just can't get them with this phone.
    I agree there is SOME shutter lag but I think you are over the top. I've had no problems capturing quality shots on the spur of the moment on full auto or HDR +.
    yfan likes this.
    AzD

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    I agree there is SOME shutter lag but I think you are over the top. I've had no problems capturing quality shots on the spur of the moment on full auto or HDR +.
    Mind posting some?

I have yet to receive my N5 (should arrive next thurs) but i've been following a lot of camera reviews for this thing. I expect a decent camera, with clean looking shots when it comes to smartphone cameras. From what i've seen from multiple camera reviews and examples, it looks acceptable and even impressive in good settings. I think some people expect smartphone cameras to have little arms that reach out and perfect everyone's smiles, straighten your clothing, adjust the sun's brightness, and splash the sky with more blue paint. I don't really expect that although I wouldn't complain too much if it happened.

I have a 2 year old so I can see how the shutter speed may frustrate me. However I also have seen some really good motion shots from others' N5's and was more than satisfied. Here's to hoping Google hooks us up with a shutter speed fix and then we can truly enjoy this phone. In the mean time we'll all become extra familiar with the camera app while trying to get that perfect shot.
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts

For what I use the camera for, it works well, but I am most taking still pics.

Moving shots are as others have pointed out, not as good.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by AzD View Post
    Mind posting some?
    There are many posted in:

Share your Nexus 5 camera photos, videos, and thoughts!
    Thanked by:

The shutter lag is pretty dreadful. It is always more than half a second, and shot-to-shot is another half+. For anything that isn't inanimate, the camera is poor.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app