What The F...? Display has gone apes*#t

DefinedByClass13

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
From one minute to another, my working Nexus became obsolete. Last night I was in my car arriving at my destination. I checked my phone before putting it in my pocket. Once I walked in to the building I was going to, I took my phone out. I pressed the power button and my display was nothing but colored vertical lines. The problem isn't consistent. Sometimes I'll turn on my screen, and I'll have about a 95% black screen with some colored specks scattered across. Sometimes I'll have about 60% of my regular lock screen available. Sometimes the phone will register part of my finger gestures, most of the time it won't register anything at all. I had been trying to make it slightly usable nonstop and managed to remove my security settings so I can access my home screen immediately. Sometimes I can open an app or clear my notifications before the screen loses all responsiveness. Now, it just doesn't register anything.

I thought I'd had to wait until tomorrow to call Google but luckily, customer service was in today. I just finished talking to them to process an RMA with an advanced shipment of the new phone. Although my phone is practically useless now, at least I don't have to wait to ship this unit out before receiving my new one.

What a nightmare. At least they handled this well. I figured I'd have to submit photos of the screen to prove that there is absolutely no damage to my phone, but none of that was requested. They must know that even after an intentional drop test, the screen is still responsive based on the online videos. I'm just glad I'm not out $400 expecting to pay another ~$400 for a new phone since I don't have that kind of cash. And I just switched to T-Mobile from Sprint with this phone so I don't have a GSM back up for usage outside of wi-fi.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Wow. Did you have it near a radiator or heat source overnight? Under a lamp or in direct sunlight for several hours?

I'm wondering what may have caused it. :eek:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

DefinedByClass13

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
None of those apply. I'm completely astounded by the result, more so by the cause. I've never had this happen to any of my phones.

I also intended on posting pictures, but my old phone is currently charging.

DefinedByClass13

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Got my replacement today. Hopefully this one lasts in the long run.

I still have no clue what caused this though. I'm wondering if it may have been a heat issue, from charging. I have a wireless charger and the temperature would reach up to 100 degrees while charging. That was without any case. This behavior made me curious why people were interested in a case that would still charge through wirelessly, when my naked phone was getting too hot when charging.

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I've read of phone and screen issues after using a third party wireless charger. Is yours the Google charger or another? Can you share what brand you have? Not sure what brands caused the issues, but something to consider. For troubleshooting, I use the Google charger and the N5 does not appreciably heat up. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

DefinedByClass13

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the LG WCP-300 model that is available at Verizon. Lots of good reviews, and it works great. I just don't know if a third-party charger would be to blame when so many others are using it as well, or if my phone was just a defective unit. I'm thinking of switching out the AC charger that was included with the wireless charger for the LG AC charger included with my phone.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Got my replacement today. Hopefully this one lasts in the long run.

I still have no clue what caused this though. I'm wondering if it may have been a heat issue, from charging. I have a wireless charger and the temperature would reach up to 100 degrees while charging. That was without any case. This behavior made me curious why people were interested in a case that would still charge through wirelessly, when my naked phone was getting too hot when charging.

100C is terrible, 100F, on the other hand, is nothing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463