Nexus 5: Flashing red light

Gemma Cisa

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Its happening to me right now. I'm pretty sure t has nthng to do with external apps or football . Rather, it suggest that there might be battery problem.

It started flashing red when battery reached 0% after using a Chinese USB portable charger . Now it's nt recharging properly, turns off while using it and charging at low battery level . Also maybe a worth mentioning that I'm European (220 v) but traveling North America since last month. Did I ****ed something up?

perchybirdy

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I was getting my 2 week old Nexus 5 down to 0% and started it a few times, just to get the percentage calibrated (though it was perfject before, but whatever).

It was blinking red only when I had the phone shut down and it was charging, I'm nearly certain.

Also, in my experience, most most USB chargers can run from 110v-220v. What you really ought to be concerned about is the *output*.

The OEM charger from LG has an input tolerance of 100v-240v. The output is 5v @ 1.2A. So, make sure that your charger is putting that out. Voltage you can fudge but if you are putting more than 1.2A in, well... good luck. Always travel with a multimeter, it's the only way :-D

KRam987

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Current is not pushed in these cases. The chargers are voltage supplies that are rated for a particular amperage. The current drawn is dependent on the circuit that is connected to it (in this case, a Nexus 5 charging circuit). It will draw only enough current for what it is rated for depending on the circuits equivalent resistance. In all cases for best charging, the voltages should be equal to what the device is rated for and the amperage should be over-rated on the charger so that it can support the device for fastest charging.

mclasser

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Mine never flashes when charging; happens only when getting an email. I don't have LightFlow installed either.

Sent from my Note 10.1 via Android Central App

Xavier Brooks

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
My phone is doing the same thing, but when ever i unplug it the screen doesnt turn on idk if its because i have a virus or something else but its kinda pissing me off

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed on my nexus 5 that when the battery gets low it flashes orangish/yellowish around 15% or lower.. haven't had it down to zero yet, but I'm sure that's what it could be..

Posted via Android Central App

manishleo1991

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
yes it is doing rightnow on m phone.
its just phone is being used while charging with battery level very very low.
when i say very very low i actually means less then 1 % .no need to worry, leave ur phone on charging.
after some time red blink will go off, switch on ur mobile and use it.
try not to let this happen since it definately demotes ur batttery.

Ville Nieminen

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
My nexus 5 did run out of battery while it was charging, because i was using it and downloading it with computer (which downloads poorly). I looked at my phone 10 minutes later and the red light wasn't blinking anymore. So i guess it's meant to be blinking red to let you know that the power ran off even though it was downloading.

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Mine flashes red when the battery is below 15%, and flashes orangeish/yellowish while charging until it's above the 15% mark..

Posted via Android Central App

william flynn1

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
mine started doing it recently, was not on but the light over where the charger plugs in blinks read. i have found if i leave it for a bit the phone will start to charge, turn it back on to fast it will not charge and blink red. might be something that happens when the battery is completely drained.

Mauvacious

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I found this to happen after the recent update. I get that it is charging but it is also continually shutting my phone down at the same time. Do you get this?

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Mine doesn't flash anything while charging. It might be an application you have installed. I'm running 5.0 and haven't seen this issue yet.

Posted via Nexus 5

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
My guess would be that either you are using a bad charger or that the flashing light is an indicator, that something is wrong with the battery or the charging-electronics.

Manish Chandok

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I have a 16 gb Nexus 5 which i bought in feb 2014.

After several issues of my phone getting restated and optimizing apps n number of times, now my phone is completely dead and does not get's on. when i tried charging it the battery symbol does not show charging but only a red light blinks continuously and it doesn't even gets charge.

I am feeling pretty exasperated because I need my phone for work.

Kindly help

James Scherr

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I think we're ****ed. This just happened to me tonight, and I need my phone for work and as an alarm clock. I've read through forums now and it's obviously a battery/charging problem. Some say drainage, others say accessories. Why the **** don't they have a page saying exactly what the indicator light means?

fayncscot

May 18, 2016
Visit site
Mine flashed red and it indicated my battery was completely drained. Once I hooked it up to charge the battery started charging and I was able to turn my phone back on after waiting about a minute of charge time.