Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: Flashing red light

Does anyone else's Nexus 5 LED light flash red while being charged and the screen is off?

Just wondering because mine is doing it and I don't remember if it's new or something it has always done.
    Thanks!

Posted from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App
    tweetykay likes this.

Default Re: Flashing red light

If I remember correctly, the LED light does flash red when the phone is charging, I myself downloaded Light Flow, which allows you to manage all aspects of the LED light, I like it much better than not having control over it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm charging mine now and I don't see any flashing light. How often is it flashing?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Constantly o_0 I wasn't sure if I remember it doing it before or not. I wonder what it means. My phone seems to be working as normal. It's kinda strange and has me worried.

Mine doesn't flash while charging????? I get different color flashes for email, text, tweets and what not but nothing while charging..
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I'm thinking of might mean something is going wrong, but I haven't noticed any changes. I do not have light flow on my phone either so I know it's not that. I'll keep an eye on it. I will call Google and ask what it means. I hope my phone isn't about to die. I've had it for such a short time.

Global Posts
    13,570 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Mine doesn't flash when charging either - only when a notification is unchecked, which could also happen when the device is charging. But the act of charging alone does not trigger the LED.

Global Posts
    662 Global Posts
    Carrier
    6.0 Marshmallow

Mine does...but I have it set that way...

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by mamartin89 View Post
    Does anyone else's Nexus 5 LED light flash red while being charged and the screen is off?
    If you could clarify: do you mean the screen is simply off or the phone is in"power off" mode? (Long press power button then select Power Off from the menu)
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

The screen is off only, the phone is still on.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

What setting do you have turned on? Perhaps I have mine turned on and didn't know.

i know the GS4 LED used to stay red while charging but I never seen it on my Nexus

My nexus doesn't have the led on while charging.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using AC Forums mobile app

It's the SportsCenter app. It flashes red when there is a sports update.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor 46 View Post
    It's the SportsCenter app. It flashes red when there is a sports update.

What leads you to believe he has that app installed? I am sure there are a number of apps available that might flash an LED red.

My guess is the battery is under 15% in this case.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by ttrimmer View Post
    My guess is the battery is under 15% in this case.

Nope, it flashes no matter what percentage the battery is at. Idk what is making it happen, but my phone is working properly so I guess I'll just live with it. Lol

Sweatypalms182 likes this.

Angry Re: Flashing red light

Hi, that happened to me while phone was dead. flashing light was on bottom where the charger plugs up. it changed my background image. wtf!

My phone doesn't do this, I can't see a setting to turn it on either..

Default Re: Nexus 5: Flashing red light

My Nexus 4 would flash red while charging when the battery was too low to power the phone. My phone had died over night.

If I had to guess this may be an indicator that there is a battery problem. My Nexus 5 does not flash red while charging.

Its happening to me right now. I'm pretty sure t has nthng to do with external apps or football . Rather, it suggest that there might be battery problem.

It started flashing red when battery reached 0% after using a Chinese USB portable charger . Now it's nt recharging properly, turns off while using it and charging at low battery level . Also maybe a worth mentioning that I'm European (220 v) but traveling North America since last month. Did I ****ed something up?

Check out this thread. I would call Google since it is still under warranty.

Phone won't turn on. Eventually flashes red notification light

I was getting my 2 week old Nexus 5 down to 0% and started it a few times, just to get the percentage calibrated (though it was perfject before, but whatever).

It was blinking red only when I had the phone shut down and it was charging, I'm nearly certain.

Also, in my experience, most most USB chargers can run from 110v-220v. What you really ought to be concerned about is the *output*.

The OEM charger from LG has an input tolerance of 100v-240v. The output is 5v @ 1.2A. So, make sure that your charger is putting that out. Voltage you can fudge but if you are putting more than 1.2A in, well... good luck. Always travel with a multimeter, it's the only way :-D

Current is not pushed in these cases. The chargers are voltage supplies that are rated for a particular amperage. The current drawn is dependent on the circuit that is connected to it (in this case, a Nexus 5 charging circuit). It will draw only enough current for what it is rated for depending on the circuits equivalent resistance. In all cases for best charging, the voltages should be equal to what the device is rated for and the amperage should be over-rated on the charger so that it can support the device for fastest charging.

Mine never flashes when charging; happens only when getting an email. I don't have LightFlow installed either.

Sent from my Note 10.1 via Android Central App
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast