Nexus 5 vs Moto X: specific use case

DocToxyn

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate the qualities of both phones and could see myself going either way, but I'd like some feedback on which may fit best for my use.

I use my phone (current HTC 4G LTE) a lot but mostly for email, browsing and light gaming. I also appreciate a usable camera.

I don't get a lot of notifications from anything other than texts from friends/family, so active notifications might not get much use. I don't drive so having voice control isn't important. Plus I use my phone for work and that requires a password. How does that work with always on functions on the X?

I work at a desk most of the time so I can keep a phone charging when necessary, but a decent battery life would be nice.

So it probably sounds like I'm trying to talk myself out of the Moto, but I want to know if others agree with the logic.

Doc

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the qualities of both phones and could see myself going either way, but I'd like some feedback on which may fit best for my use.

I use my phone (current HTC 4G LTE) a lot but mostly for email, browsing and light gaming. I also appreciate a usable camera.

I don't get a lot of notifications from anything other than texts from friends/family, so active notifications might not get much use. I don't drive so having voice control isn't important. Plus I use my phone for work and that requires a password. How does that work with always on functions on the X?

I work at a desk most of the time so I can keep a phone charging when necessary, but a decent battery life would be nice.

So it probably sounds like I'm trying to talk myself out of the Moto, but I want to know if others agree with the logic.

Doc

I think maybe the best thing to do is see if you can actually hold each device on your hand. Look at the screens, etc. The X while a 4.7 in screen, has such a small bezel that is doesn't feel like a 4.7 in phone.
The active notifications on the X can be modified for many apps you get notifications for. So you can modify it to not get Gmail, Hangouts, etc... The other side to the active notifications is after the phone sits for a while, when you move it, the active screen pope up with the time and the lock icon. There is really no need to push the power button, and this alone can save battery because you aren't waking the device up to see a notification preview or the time.

As for me, I can get 13 to 16 hours easily on a 70% drain.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I do agree that the Nexus 5 fits what you need. Get a wireless charging mat at your desk and you will be set. If you use a PIN, password, you must enter it on the Moto X if the screen has timed out before it can complete the request. You could always set it for a longer period. I think you would appreciate the larger screen on the Nexus 5.

chowdog13

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I would choose the Nexus 5, the battery isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I feel it's slightly more future proof, the hardware is very good and it's bound to receive the next couple android versions. You also can't beat the price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
To me, it seems like the Nexus 5 is a no brainer for you. If you don't have use for the Moto X's special features and customizations, I wouldn't advise you to spend the significantly higher price tag for the moto x.

The Nexus 5 is incredibly fast, has pretty good battery life (especially for your use case), and in my experience the camera is stellar. The only downside is a small shutter lag, but if you must take photos of moving objects all the time, that problem is remedied by using a different camera app from the play store.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
This is why I like the Nexus 5 more than the Moto X that cost $170 more unless you get the deal on Cyber Monday from the Moto store that matches the Nexus 5 price for one day. The Moto X would have to cost no more than $275 for me to pick it over the Nexus 5 since the Nexus 5 is the best cell phone for under $500 on the market in my opinion.

Nexus 5 has a 4.95" screen and Moto X has 4.7"

Nexus 5 has 445 pixel density on screen and Moto X has 316 pixel density

Nexus 5 has Quad Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 and Moto X has a slower Dual Core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro

Nexus 5 supports wireless Qi charging out of the box the Moto X doesn't.

Nexus 5 is a GSM & CDMA (Spint ) cell radio and Moto X is GSM only or separate CDMA model.

Nexus 5 has HDMI for TV-Out output via via microUSB and Moto X doesn't suppport. (Note both should have Miracast Ability that provides similar ability. )

Nexus 5 has Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Compass, Barometer, Proximity, Ambient light, Hall Effect, Step detector, Step counter and Moto X has Accelerometer, Compass, Proximity, Ambient light, Gyroscope

I will say that Moto X has a better camera at this point. Moto X has a smaller battery but is more efferent than the Nexus 5 with the exception of Voice calls.

Google Nexus 5 vs Motorola Moto X

Last edited:

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Everyone is right, the N5 will be the better device especially if you are planning on keeping it for a couple of years. You will appreciate the larger, sharper display and a guarantee of at least the next 2 major android updates.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Nexus 5 is a GSM & CDMA (Spint ) cell radio and Moto X is GSM only
Wait, don't both CDMA carriers in the US sell the Moto X? Or are you talking about in a single version of the phone/the one you can get directly from Motorola?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This is why I like the Nexus 5 more than the Moto X that cost $170 more unless you get the deal on Cyber Monday from the Moto store that matches the Nexus 5 price for one day. The Moto X would have to cost no more than $275 for me to pick it over the Nexus 5 since the Nexus 5 is the best cell phone for under $500 on the market in my opinion.

Nexus 5 has a 4.95" screen and Moto X has 4.7

Nexus 5 has 445 pixel density on screen and Moto X has 316

Nexus 5 has 445 Quad Core Qualcomm Snapdragon and Moto X has a slower Dual Core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro

Nexus 5 is a GSM & CDMA (Spint ) cell radio and Moto X is GSM only

Nexus 5 has HDMI for TV-Out output via via microUSB and Moto X doesn't suppport. (Note both should have Miracast Ability that provides similar ability. )

Nexus 5 has Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Compass, Barometer, Step detector, Step counter and Moto X has Accelerometer, Compass

I will say that Moto X has a better camera at this point. Moto X has a smaller battery but is more efferent than the Nexus 5 with the exception of Voice calls.

The moto X is also a CDMA device. Available on Verizon and Sprint.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Wait, don't both CDMA carriers in the US sell the Moto X? Or are you talking about in a single version of the phone/the one you can get directly from Motorola?

Yes, I am talking about one phone that does both GSM and CDMA cell radios in case you move between a GSM to CDMA network provider. The Moto store sells a GSM model and a Verizon model. True the Nexus 5 doesn't work on the Verizon network but any North American version of the Nexus 5 works on GSM like AT&T, T-Mobile and CDMA like Sprint.

Also the Moto store has this disclaimer on Moto X;

Also, Moto X has 5 models with different LTE bands.

Here's the bottom line:

• If you want an unlocked bootloader on AT&T or Verizon, get the Developer Edition.

• If you want to get future upgrades without carrier interference and/or want a device free from all carrier branding and bloatware, get the Developer Edition -- specifically, the GSM model.

• If you don't care about any of that stuff and are planning to buy the phone off-contract from AT&T or T-Mobile anyway, go ahead and get the carrier version. You'll pay a little less, and if the benefits of the Dev Edition don't matter to you, there's really no reason to pony up the extra cash.

• If you like buying phones on-contract, buy a carrier version. Simple enough.

• If you want any color other than woven white, get a carrier model. Right now, AT&T's setup will give you the most flexibility with Moto Maker customization; if you wait a while, you should be able to get that on other carriers soon, too (and don't forget about the option for a wooden back expected to arrive later this year).

That's the lowdown, folks. You'll have to figure out your own priorities and decide which factors are most important to you.

Last edited:

DocToxyn

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the great advice, much appreciated. So I went and looked at both phones today and I just can't see the Moto X working for me, both physically and the benefits that can certainly put it ahead of the Nexus 5 but aren't really that useful to me. I'll definitely be recommending it to the wife when she thinks about upgrading and the G looks like a great options for my youngest when she starts asking for a phone.

Can't wait to get a Nexus 5.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
By the way on Cyber Monday the Moto X Dev 32GB version goes on sale for $400...Same price as the N5 32GB.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
The N5 has a notification LED, which is nice (at least for me). The Moto X doesn't.

I know that Active Notifications isn't something that you would use, but you can add a similar functionality with Dynamic Notifications.

It's a tough choice. You can't go wrong with either. You'd probably be happy with both phones, as most people would. Had I known about the CyberMonday sale, I may have not purchased the N5. However, I'm happy with the N5.

Perhaps, even the Moto G may serve your purposes based on your needs. Hell, I'd probably even be happy with the Moto G as my primary phone.

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't know that this is accurate. I see where that is what it says in the above link, but that conflicts with what I've seen on other sites, including the head to head comparison on this site.

The Nexus 5 vs. the Moto X | Android Central

I found another site for the Moto X with ( Full Spects Tab) that adds in Proximity, Ambient light, Gyroscope. Then I found the Play Store listed the Nexus 5 also added Proximity/Ambient Light and the Hall Effect sensor to the list that I added above.

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Be nice if Motorola listed the complete specs. Would make it a lot easier for comparison purposes! I believe the Moto X also has a barometer and temperature sensor (not ambient).

I still have a question as to whether the Moto X has the step counter and step detector.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Be nice if Motorola listed the complete specs. Would make it a lot easier for comparison purposes! I believe the Moto X also has a barometer and temperature sensor (not ambient).

I still have a question as to whether the Moto X has the step counter and step detector.

I agree with that since I always judge the specifications but Moto seems to be taking a clue from Apple that hides specs information and just sell the features.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

I presume this is being asked ahead of the Monday Moto X sale, so the price is the same for the moment. And while I also prefer the Nexus 5, I don't think most of the other reasons are necessarily "clear advantages" (see below):

Nexus 5 has a 4.95" screen and Moto X has 4.7".

Hence the need to try and hold one at a local Best Buy or other store. For some people the Nexus 5 is just too large, while the Moto X manages to fit the 4.7" screen into a phone size that used to house 4" screens.

If you read a lot on your phone this might make a difference, but for most people the pixels have dissappeared already at 316 PPI. Also the better battery life of the X is directly tied into using the lower rez screen, so again this is really a case use preference rather than one being obviously superior to the other.

Nexus 5 has Quad Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 and Moto X has a slower Dual Core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro

This might impact things down the road (e.g. 18 months out) as apps get more computationally demanding. Based on all reviews it doesn't have any impact on current user experience. Still, for people who want to keep their device for two years or more this may be an issue to consider.

Absolutely, and could be quite relevant to the OP's use case. (I snipped the parts about ports and versions, since some of the info has since been changed).

Battery size is less important than battery life, and it appears the Moto X beats the Nexus 5 under most use cases. But really if battery life is the biggest concern than the LG G2 or Droid Maxx are better choices.

Anyhow, I didn't go through this to be disagreeable - in fact I agree with several of the points. I just don't think lists of specs are useful without an explanation of the benefits or tradeoffs involved. I intend to make the Nexus 5 my next phone (coming from an N4), and for me it's mostly due to the openness of the Nexus, a preference for the more natural coloration of LCD screens, and the fact that I tend to seek out the newest and most demanding software to run. My wife is getting a Moto X, as she drives a lot, wants a phone that fits her hand better, and likes the extra "pop" of color from AMOLED screens. I'm personally envious of the MotoMaker customization process, but not enough to sway me from the other benefits.

Not that anyone should really care about what I or my wife are choosing, I'm just trying to make the point that phones have strengths and weaknesses, and one person's strength may be another's weakness.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Nexus 5 has a 4.95" screen and Moto X has 4.7"

Nexus 5 is a GSM & CDMA (Spint ) cell radio and Moto X is GSM only or separate CDMA model.

Nexus 5 has Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Compass, Barometer, Proximity, Ambient light, Hall Effect, Step detector, Step counter and Moto X has Accelerometer, Compass, Proximity, Ambient light, Gyroscope

Most of your points were specs. The X performs just as well as the 5 in pretty much everything except gaming. Wireless charging isn't that great and OP didn't mention the need to stream from his phone to TV so that's irrelevant

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Regardless of how "optimized" the Moto X may be, I would not get a phone with last year's specs. Contrary to the notion that may be going around in the blogosphere, specs do matter, especially when it comes to a more future-proof device. If specs didn't matter, we'd still be using the G1.