Sound quality with headphones?

dirtyjudo

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I am still deciding on Moto-X vs Nexus 5. How is the N5's sound quality with headphones? I listen to a lot of audio books and podcast.

Posted via Android Central App

dazzer87

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Sound Quality with headphones?

I am still deciding on Moto-X vs Nexus 5. How is the N5's sound quality with headphones? I listen to a lot of audio books and podcast.

The N5 headphone is crap (on stock) I compare it to my ipod nano playing the same track at max volume with the same headphone and the nano was much louder. I install a kernal and boost the headphone value on the N5. Now its much better than my nano.

bubba3595

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

I don't have any issues really. I thought my iPhone 5 had good quality sound, and I would say the nexus 5 is just as good. It could be I bit louder, but that's the only issue I have had

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

My Nexus 5 sounds as good as my iPhone 4 with my Bluetooth headset that doesn't have that too loud problem some have reported.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I find it much better that my Galaxy Nexus using the same headphones.

bloo0153

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

I've never used headphones on a Moto x so I can't say if one is better than the other. However, if your primary source content is audio books and podcasts you'd be fine either way. Both sources are usually recorded in a low bit rate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

guitarizt

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

I try not to be an audiophile to keep myself sane, but I have Shure SRH-840 headphones. I have had or have used Grado 60s, Beyer Dynamics similar to my Shures (forget the model name and too lazy to lookup), and I have a Compass DAC and amp for my pc. It's not the best stuff, but I've stopped here because I am totally satisfied with my Shure 840s.

The Nexus 5 sounds fine to me, and I'm continually surprised by the audio quality. I liked my ipod touch 2nd gen because of the headphone amp. I have an ipod nano 4th gen I think it is. If I was doing a blind test with mp3s, I really doubt I'd be able to differentiate any of them from each other. I might not even with higher quality music and/or a different codec. Sidenote: I'm using CM11 kitkang hammerhead rom. I didn't try the stock audio.

Here's the thread with the rom for anyone curious:

[CM11] [KitKang] Hammerhead Nightly Kangs - xda-developers

<edit> I just found this thread:

[MOD][GUIDE] Headphone and Speaker Volume Boost for the Nexus 5

QWIKSTRIKE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

The N5 headphone is crap (on stock) I compare it to my ipod nano playing the same track at max volume with the same headphone and the nano was much louder. I install a kernal and boost the headphone value on the N5. Now its much better than my nano.

Agreed, I down loaded Rocket Player music and upgraded the EQ, and all is well.

FlecheiroBasiado

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site

I am of the opinion that the stock sound and stock player on the Nexus 5 leaves much to be desired but this can easily be fixed. I have always used and supported Player Pro, a third player player that comes with a built in preamp and multi band graphic EQ. I have no complaints with my sound. I am using Woodies vintage wood ear buds and AKG headphones for over the ear...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

I see a difference in the sound coming from the Nexus 5 compared to other devices. Does it bother me, no. Perhaps this is something that can be fixed via a software update.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

If you are having issues with the headphones sound, then open up Google Music and enable the Equalizer. You can either leave it on or turn it off after this. This will get you more sound out of the headphones.

- - - Updated - - -

I am of the opinion that the stock sound and stock player on the Nexus 5 leaves much to be desired but this can easily be fixed. I have always used and supported Player Pro, a third player player that comes with a built in preamp and multi band graphic EQ. I have no complaints with my sound. I am using Woodies vintage wood ear buds and AKG headphones for over the ear...

You could just turn on the EQ in Google music and that fixed the issue for me.

dazzer87

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

If you are having issues with the headphones sound, then open up Google Music and enable the Equalizer. You can either leave it on or turn it off after this. This will get you more sound out of the headphones.

- - - Updated - - -

You could just turn on the EQ in Google music and that fixed the issue for me.

Tried it and still sounds like crap. I ended up installing Franco Kernel and its fixed now. He has a boost option for the headphone.

whtchdr

May 23, 2013
Visit site

I've had both the Nexus 5 and Moto X and I'd say the N5 holds its own. I've used it with a pair of Bowers and Wilkins P5s and it sounds pretty good once you adjust the equalizer settings in the Play app. Not the absolute best, but good.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
http://evolver.fm/media/Noozxoide EIZO-rewire/noozxoide.jpeg

Stop using those cruddy music player EQs and get this in either the E or Pro edition (I use E). If anyone needs help setting it up I'll be happy to help.

This is an app that literally everyone who listens to music should have on their phone.

Is it better than PowerAmp? I'm listening through mediocre ear phones but it still sounds great to me (except for poorly produced stuff).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

ManInTheBox10

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Is it better than PowerAmp? I'm listening through mediocre ear phones but it still sounds great to me (except for poorly produced stuff).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

I used to use PowerAmp and yes it is. PowerAmp I find distorts sound too much by raising frequencies especially in its DSP settings, Noozxoide sounds much clearer. It took me a while to get used to Noozxoide instead but you'll notice the difference in quality. I ditched PowerAmp due to its awful outdated interface but I believe you can run both if you want.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I used to use PowerAmp and yes it is. PowerAmp I find distorts sound too much by raising frequencies especially in its DSP settings, Noozxoide sounds much clearer. It took me a while to get used to Noozxoide instead but you'll notice the difference in quality. I ditched PowerAmp due to its awful outdated interface but I believe you can run both if you want.

Interesting. Now I'm intrigued. Is Noozxoide free?

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

ManInTheBox10

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Pro series used to be free and as far as I know it still is. They added the E series recently which is definitely free. I'm running E because I think it sounds a bit punchier, maybe easier to switch to from PowerAmp, but I'm still trying to find the main differences between the two. E gives you more flexibility of the EQ. Note that there also isn't a multiband EQ (anymore) but that shouldn't be much of a problem if you run E.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800