Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 2 Post By Patrick Schroedl
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How can I reset my Nexus 5 and not have my data restore automatically?

Hi,

I want to do a factory reset on my Nexus 5 but I don't want any backups/sync'd data to be restored (i.e. I want to completely start over as if I just got the device). I know how to do the factory reset but I'm not sure how to avoid any automatic restores or outdated/unwanted backup data.

Also, I noticed that in the Play Store apps that I no longer have installed still show up as installed. In fact a couple of apps that were never installed on my Nexus 5 (they were installed on an Android tablet that I no longer have a couple years ago) still show up. Is there a way to clear this/start over?

->g.

Default Re: backed up/sync'd data

Go to Settings/Backup & Restore, and uncheck "Back up my data" and "Automatic restore." You might want to make sure your phone syncs again before you do the factory reset. Then, when you reset and then add your Google account again, the settings shouldn't restore. Keep in mind, though, that other data from your Google account (i.e., Gmail, Calendar, etc.) will automatically start to sync when you add your Google account--are you trying to prevent that as well?

As far as I know, there's no way of removing any app that you ever installed (on any Android device linked to your Google account) from that "Installed" list. Consider it more of a history, rather than a current status.

May I ask why you're factory resetting? Are there any problems going on? If so, have you tried a system cache partition wipe first?

You can un-associate apps from your Google Play account by doing the following:

1. Google Play App > My Apps > All
    2. Long-press on the apps you want to remove.
    3. Use the 'x' button (top-right) on the Contextual Action Bar that appears.

However, if some of the apps are displaying 'Installed' when they shouldn't, it might not let you select these apps to be removed. You might try installing and then uninstalling any such apps on the Nexus 5, then attempting to remove them again.
    Thanked by 3:
    srkmagnus and B. Diddy like this.

That's a good tip, but I think that even if you remove the app from your "Installed" list on the Google Play Store app, it will still be listed on the Google Play Store website on a laptop/desktop. Not sure if that was what the OP was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    That's a good tip, but I think that even if you remove the app from your "Installed" list on the Google Play Store app, it will still be listed on the Google Play Store website on a laptop/desktop. Not sure if that was what the OP was referring to.
    Are you referring to the 'My Android apps' list found at ? It mirrors the list found in the app, and removing list items in the app will remove them on that desktop page too. There wasn't always a way to remove them though. My apps list was a lot smaller after that update...
    Thanked by:

Hey, how about that? I stand corrected. When did they change that?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Go to Settings/Backup & Restore, and uncheck "Back up my data" and "Automatic restore."
    Ok I did this before resetting the phone. I also unselected it again after the reset during the setup just to make sure. It's still unchecked. Is it safe to check it now? Does the sync/restore data get removed as soon as that option is unchecked?

You might want to make sure your phone syncs again before you do the factory reset.
    How do I do this?

Then, when you reset and then add your Google account again, the settings shouldn't restore. Keep in mind, though, that other data from your Google account (i.e., Gmail, Calendar, etc.) will automatically start to sync when you add your Google account--are you trying to prevent that as well?
    No that's fine that's what I want. Just didn't want anything that I didn't intend to install/configure again to show up on the phone after the reset.

May I ask why you're factory resetting? Are there any problems going on? If so, have you tried a system cache partition wipe first?
    No problems really. Just my first Android phone so I was experimenting with apps and setup and now that I have a feel for the final state it's time for a reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Schroedl View Post
    You can un-associate apps from your Google Play account by doing the following:

1. Google Play App > My Apps > All
    2. Long-press on the apps you want to remove.
    3. Use the 'x' button (top-right) on the Contextual Action Bar that appears.

However, if some of the apps are displaying 'Installed' when they shouldn't, it might not let you select these apps to be removed. You might try installing and then uninstalling any such apps on the Nexus 5, then attempting to remove them again.
    Thank you that worked perfectly.
    Last edited by glc650; 12-04-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Glad to see you go it working! Also, if you ever do a factory reset and start the setup process over, be sure to not check the sync/restore apps/data (I forget what is actually says) option.

How are you enjoying the Nexus 5?

Quote Originally Posted by glc650 View Post
    Is it safe to check it now? Does the sync/restore data get removed as soon as that option is unchecked?
    That's an interesting question--I'm not sure what happens to the backed up data in the Google servers if the box was checked first, then unchecked later. All I can say is that unchecking it and then doing a factory reset will prevent the phone from automatically restoring the settings data.

The only reason I mentioned syncing the phone prior to the factory reset was in case you don't keep your background sync on at all times (like me). If that were the case, then turning the background sync would immediately do a sync of all of the various Google apps that you've selected to sync, and then that data is backed up.

Enjoy!

Thanks Patrick for that tip.... I only wished after the first hour of deleting un-used App from my Play Store history that I had realized I could delete multiple Apps at the time with extra touch before I hit the delete. It is amazing how many Apps I don't even remember I had downloaded over two years.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: How can I reset my Nexus 5 and not have my data restore automatically?

Hey, good tip, I didn't know that! To be clear for anyone else reading this, you need to long press the first app you want to remove, which brings up the multi select option.

Posted via Android Central App
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    How are you enjoying the Nexus 5?
    So far so good I guess. Still getting used to it. Its my first smart phone so there's a bit of a learning curve.

Side note: How do I get IP addressing info when on 3G/4G?

Thanks,

->g.