Nexus 5 WiFi/Cell Orange Icons...

SKI_K2

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Hello AC,

I noticed the past couple days that when I swipe down with 2 fingers from the top of my Nexus 5 screen, both my WiFi and cellular signal icons appear in orange rather than white. I've seen online that this indicates a bad connection to Google Services, even though my overall WiFi connection is perfectly fine. Speed tests are normal, the only performance issue I've noticed is my Facebook app now takes forever to update and when it finally does, pictures & videos don't show up. This may not be the only app experiencing problems but it's just one that I've noticed.

The other strange thing is that I'm having the same exact issue on my Nexus 10 tablet running 4.4 Kit Kat. It leads me to believe there is an issue with Google services or my Google account and not the device, as I have 2 completely different devices having the same behavior. This has only been a problem for about the last 2 days or so. Has anyone else been experiencing this issue and/or have you found a solution for it? Any help would be much appreciated!

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Had this happen. Really I found it indicates your wifi connection really is messed up. Have had to reconnect to my wifi and then the symbols under settings return to white.
It really seems a problem the Nexus 5 has with WiFi. There is a massive thread on this under Google product support forums
Some are suggesting it is a KitKat glitch. Others wonder if it is due to hardware.
I'm hoping a software update will fix. Fingers crossed because it is a problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

SKI_K2

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Newsman. As soon as you mentioned that, I went and rebooted my wireless router and voila - WiFi and cell icons are white again! I would say this is the best fix for this issue currently, so if anyone else out there has this happen to them...try a router reboot and that should solve it [we'll see for how long]. Let's hope for some sort of software patch for such an annoying bug!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Newsman. As soon as you mentioned that, I went and rebooted my wireless router and voila - WiFi and cell icons are white again! I would say this is the best fix for this issue currently, so if anyone else out there has this happen to them...try a router reboot and that should solve it [we'll see for how long]. Let's hope for some sort of software patch for such an annoying bug!
Also, toggling airplane mode off/on may help resolve the issue. If not, it's good to know that a router reboot will - thanks for sharing!

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
The one time I had this happen, I just rebooted the phone and it came back up properly. But, now that I read this thread, I guess I'll reboot the router, instead: a good early warning indicator for it (well, maybe not an "early" warning).

SKI_K2

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately for me, rebooting the phone itself did not solve the problem. I even went as far as resetting it back to factory settings, which worked for about 5 seconds and then the icons turned orange again. Lesson learned - check the forums before wiping out your phone! Give the router reboot a try and let us know if that works for you as well.

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

Glad it worked. Trust Google addresses soon.

Garconis

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I've got the same problem, but it's not a WiFi issue. Regardless of WiFi being on or not, the data bars still occasionally turn orange and lose connectivity. Not sure how restarting my router would solve that...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I've got the same problem, but it's not a WiFi issue. Regardless of WiFi being on or not, the data bars still occasionally turn orange and lose connectivity. Not sure how restarting my router would solve that...

Turn on the off Airplane Mode and see if that helps. It typically will bring back data services if you are in an area with data.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

evostudios

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
The orange indicates that you are not receiving or sending data. You may be connected to the cell network or wifi network but it's not sending or receiving data.

This happens to me at work because I need to sign in the the wifi through my browser, so it connects but I don't really have a data connection.

Like others have said, reset your router if it's a wifi problem; if it's a network problem, try toggling airplane mode. Whenever I have a data connection problem I always test the connection with another device as well.

Posted via Android Central App

Garconis

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Turn on the off Airplane Mode and see if that helps. It typically will bring back data services if you are in an area with data.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
That sometimes works...but I'm trying to figure out the root cause so I can fix it permanently, rather that toggling airplane mode every 5 minutes.

andriver

May 1, 2013
Visit site
This happens to me when connecting in public places. You have to bring up your browser and agree to the company's terms. Thereafter, the symbol turns white.

SKI_K2

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Just as an update roughly 2 months from my original post, I have not had this same issue reoccur since the initial problem resolved itself. I'm not sure whether the update to 4.4.2 fixed it, or if it was just a fluke to begin with, but I have had no issues for quite some time. As others have said, if you are connecting to a WiFi network that requires in-browser authentication, then yes you will need to connect in that manner before the icons turn white. My problem was happening on my home network though, so this was not the case in my particular situation. I also was away for the holidays and had my router/modem powered down for a few weeks, so perhaps it really was as simple as resetting/rebooting the router.

Anyone else have issues before the 4.4.2 update that now seem to be resolved...? Thanks for the all the input!

NidooReebz

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Nothing seems to work for me, at home, at school and even the public library, it stays orange and I don't receive my notifications for apps like whatsapp, snapchat, instagram. Any other suggestions?

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Nothing seems to work for me, at home, at school and even the public library, it stays orange and I don't receive my notifications for apps like whatsapp, snapchat, instagram. Any other suggestions?

Sounds like a device problem. Try booting into safe mode. If it works then do a factory reset.

Garconis

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Just got a new LTE SIM card from ST. Still same issue. I really gotta get my hands on a version before they switched to the LTE SIM cards. I don't care if I don't get 4G as long as I get my data synced when it's supposed to.

NidooReebz

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Thank you ! But turns out the wifi magically works at home and school not the public library. This wifi connection doesn't have a password or anything, could that be a reason why it doesn't work? Any suggestions how I can make this a secure network?

Partx

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
[Solved] - bars issue & Google play store 'No connection'. This is a stream line series of problems stacking on each other.

IF your issue is: the bars on WiFi / Signal are Orange but internet is working and Google play will not sign in or complains that it cannot connect.
IF your last option is doing a factory reset.

You must have a rooted phone to do this (usually as simple as running a program) to gain root. Note that a custom ROM installation is not needed and does work on the stock/default ROM. On a rooted phone; reboot it into the restore/recovery screen by holding volume +/- and power button and select 'Wipe Cache'. Once this is complete reboot your phone, wait for it to fully power on and then reboot it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair