Nexus 5 speaker

AndroidDario

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Is it really bad? I do not use to pump up disco music, I just want to hear incoming calls, SMS and emails, and listen to YouTube videos.
Opinions are splitted. What about your Nexus?

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 5's speaker is terrible. That's the first thing I noticed about my Nexus 5. When I hold my N5 up to watch a video, my thumb blocks the speaker, and the sound is completely muted. What's worse is that even though there are two speaker grills, the sound only comes out of the left grill. The right speaker grill is just for show. Kind of stupid IMO.

The volume is also weak.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 5's speaker is terrible. That's the first thing I noticed about my Nexus 5. When I hold my N5 up to watch a video, my thumb blocks the speaker, and the sound is completely muted. What's worse is that even though there are two speaker grills, the sound only comes out of the left grill. The right speaker grill is just for show. Kind of stupid IMO.

The volume is also weak.
We've had very different experiences with the Nexus 5s we've used, you and I.

aco905

May 22, 2012
Visit site
LoL, no its a piece of sh#t. Hardware or software is hard to tell but in its current state, it sucks!

Posted by Nexus 5 and the Android Central App

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
LoL, no its a piece of sh#t. Hardware or software is hard to tell but in its current state, it sucks!

Posted by Nexus 5 and the Android Central App

Oh good. I'm glad to hear this because i'd hate to have to replace my home stereo system with a smartphone.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
We've had very different experiences with the Nexus 5s we've used, you and I.

Just do a quick test for me and you can confirm how much the speaker sucks.

Play a song and press your thumb over the right speaker grill. Notice how the sound is barely muted?

Now do the same with the left speaker grill, and notice how the sound is almost muted now.

It's astonishing how bad the speaker is.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Play a song and press your thumb over the right speaker grill. Notice how the sound is barely muted?

Now do the same with the left speaker grill, and notice how the sound is almost muted now.

That would be because if you cover the right speaker grill, you're just covering the mic. The speaker is on the left. And every speaker i've ever seen in my whole entire life gets quieter when covered.

canucks4life

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
This is the one major downside with my N5...just picked up a Moto G and the speaker audio/quality is better...I really hope software update can fix if not this will be my last Nexus device...too me it is like putting a crappy stereo in a high end Benz :(

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

One side is a Mic and the other side is a Mono speaker. Why would anyone listen to music without Stereo headphones, bluetooth speakers or use it over the bluetooth in your car? It is plenty loud for speaker phone, ring tones and notifications. I laugh every time I see that HTC commercial at the car wash that gives up screen space to put in big boom speakers which I would never use.

Now some of the early N5 had too much glue in the speaker holes you can see with a very bright flashlight and can have those bad speakers RMA to Google.

Last edited:

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Why would anyone listen to music without Stereo headphones, bluetooth speakers or use it over the bluetooth in your car? It is plenty loud for speaker phone, ring tones and notifications. I laugh every time I see that HTC commercial at the car wash that gives up screen space to put in big boom speakers which I would never use.

I do, because my car bluetooth doesn't work with media streaming, and my ear hurts with 1 or 2 hour of music through earphone.

I don't think I am the only one...

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I do, because my car bluetooth doesn't work with media streaming, and my ear hurts with 1 or 2 hour of music through earphone.

I don't think I am the only one...

I hear ya. My truck doesn't Bluetooth stream either, so I ended up getting a Bluetooth speaker (Monster) and use it in the truck when driving, and take it with me on travels. I have to wear earplugs on the job all day, so the last thing I want to do is wear headphones when off work!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I hear ya. My truck doesn't Bluetooth stream either, so I ended up getting a Bluetooth speaker (Monster) and use it in the truck when driving, and take it with me on travels. I have to wear earplugs on the job all day, so the last thing I want to do is wear headphones when off work!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I agree there isn't one phone stereo internal speaker that is worth hearing driving in a car. HTC acts like their phone will replace your home stereo but it is still weak sound quality for music. All phones are very bad playing music over their internal speakers. All the Bluetooth to FM radio unit converters to add BT to your vehicle's radio has weak FM signal due to FCC restrictions on power. The Bluetooth boom box is the only real solution to hear phones music without headphones. This one is $90 and goes for 10 hours.

The Best Portable Bluetooth Speaker | The Wirecutter

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The HTC One has great speakers and the volume level is exceptional.

I agree with others, Nexus 5 speaker is weak.

Posted via Android Central App

For a phone the HTC One has great sound at the cost of the size of the smaller screen size of 4.7". The HTC One is about the same physical size ( 137.40 x 68.2 x 9.3mm) as the Nexus 5 (137.84 x 69.17 x 8.59mm) with a large 4.95" screen . Sure don't think the HTC one is better sound that a good bluetooth speaker that you could buy with the Nexus 5 ($349) and still have spend a lot less money for a phone that has a bigger screen and better speakers with the portable bluetooth speakers.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
One side is a Mic and the other side is a Mono speaker. Why would anyone listen to music without Stereo headphones, bluetooth speakers or use it over the bluetooth in your car? It is plenty loud for speaker phone, ring tones and notifications. I laugh every time I see that HTC commercial at the car wash that gives up screen space to put in big boom speakers which I would never use.

Now some of the early N5 had too much glue in the speaker holes you can see with a very bright flashlight and can have those bad speakers RMA to Google.

Because there are people all over like myself that listen to music and YouTube videos all the time without headphones or blue tooth. The HTC One speakers are definitely the best, the ones on the X are good too, I can't speak about the Nexus 5 though

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
He wasn't saying if you cover the speaker it gets lower, you guys might not know how to read he was just saying cover one side because the speakers aren't as loud as each other, he wasn't aware that there's only one speaker the others a microphone

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The speaker, while not great, is more than adequate and much improved over the n4.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol