Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    I just got my Nexus 5 Monday and I have been loving it. Coming from a non-LTE enabled Galaxy S2 I stuck in a new micro SIM and had it activated. When I realized I wasn't getting LTE, I called them up and had then input my new IME number from my Nexus 5. I rebooted and had LTE. I have since ran into two problems:

    1. After coming off my home WiFi sometimes it really, really doesn't want to connect to LTE. This means it takes forever to find the LTE signal, and then drops it much sooner than it should: friends, GF, family, etc are still getting a good LTE signal. A reset/resave of the APN settings or restarting the phone does the trick for awhile but then it happens again. Any ideas? Could this be an APN settings issue or am I looking at a bad phone? Should I have them put in a coworker's S4 IME?
    2. Sometimes when my signal is really low (1-2 bars) I drop signal when someone else I am with still has a bar or two. It only loses the connection for a few seconds before coming back with 1-2 bars again. Should I be worried or is this just normal?


    Would appreciate all and any input. Thanks ahead!

    APN Settings
    Name: ATT Phone
    APN: phone
    Proxy - Server: Not Set
    MMSC:
    MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS Port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    APN Type: default, mms,supl,hipri (copied from coworker's S4)
    Protocols: IPv4
  2. #2  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,729 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,208 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    That does indeed seem odd. Do you have a case on your phone (if so, that is good, but may be affecting your signal?)
    Live long and prosper.


  3. #3  

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    when you say "drop" or "not connecting" LTE, does it connect to HSPA+ instead? or just no data whatsoever?
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510
  4. #4  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    I just got my Nexus 5 Monday and I have been loving it. Coming from a non-LTE enabled Galaxy S2 I stuck in a new micro SIM and had it activated. When I realized I wasn't getting LTE, I called them up and had then input my new IME number from my Nexus 5. I rebooted and had LTE. I have since ran into two problems:

    1. After coming off my home WiFi sometimes it really, really doesn't want to connect to LTE. This means it takes forever to find the LTE signal, and then drops it much sooner than it should: friends, GF, family, etc are still getting a good LTE signal. A reset/resave of the APN settings or restarting the phone does the trick for awhile but then it happens again. Any ideas? Could this be an APN settings issue or am I looking at a bad phone? Should I have them put in a coworker's S4 IME?
    2. Sometimes when my signal is really low (1-2 bars) I drop signal when someone else I am with still has a bar or two. It only loses the connection for a few seconds before coming back with 1-2 bars again. Should I be worried or is this just normal?


    Would appreciate all and any input. Thanks ahead!

    APN Settings
    Name: ATT Phone
    APN: phone
    Proxy - Server: Not Set
    MMSC:
    MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS Port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    APN Type: default, mms,supl,hipri (copied from coworker's S4)
    Protocols: IPv4
    My APN Type ends with 'fota', not 'hipri'. Other than that, it looks the same.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  5. #5  

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwaron View Post
    My APN Type ends with 'fota', not 'hipri'. Other than that, it looks the same.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Apparently some people at xda claims the more the better.

    So, just add fota after mms, make sure no spaces between them.

    @T-Mobile GN3
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    when you say "drop" or "not connecting" LTE, does it connect to HSPA+ instead? or just no data whatsoever?
    I mean it drops down to HSPA. Funny thing is it never shows the H+ icon either. Always just a plain, vanilla H.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

    -Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    Happened again just a few minutes ago. I was in Costco with a friend. I had LTE all over town and when I walked into Costco I dropped back down to HSPA when she had LTE. A restart later and I got LTE the rest of the shopping trip, including the areas I wasn't getting it before. I edited the APN settings last night to include fota and a few others recommended on a site which gave me even better LTE coverage than before, even over my mom's S3.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

    -Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
  8. #8  

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    I guess at this time, you need somebody nearby and has an ATT N5 to compare and see if phone is the problem. You can also call google, although I am not sure how much help that can be.

    On a side note, ATT H+ has decent speed, so if this can't get figured out, I wouldn't worry too much.
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    On a side note, ATT H+ has decent speed, so if this can't get figured out, I wouldn't worry too much.
    Except in my area H+ isn't so great - lucky to even reach .75 Mbps with five bars. It's one of the biggest reasons I got rid of the S2.

    Could it be a hardware problem? Is it very likely?

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

    -Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
  10. #10  

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    Except in my area H+ isn't so great - lucky to even reach .75 Mbps with five bars. It's one of the biggest reasons I got rid of the S2.

    Could it be a hardware problem? Is it very likely?

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    It can only be diagnosed as a hardware problem if somebody with ATT N5 is right next to you and have no problem with LTE. It could be, but there is no way to be sure. Maybe calling google and see what they say.
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    It can only be diagnosed as a hardware problem if somebody with ATT N5 is right next to you and have no problem with LTE. It could be, but there is no way to be sure. Maybe calling google and see what they say.
    Think I'll call when I get home, don't know anyone with Nexus device, let alone a 5 on AT&T.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

    -Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
  12. #12  

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    Think I'll call when I get home, don't know anyone with Nexus device, let alone a 5 on AT&T.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, do let us know what they say, it's an interesting case, may help future users.

    @T-Mobile GN3
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Yeah, do let us know what they say, it's an interesting case, may help future users.

    @T-Mobile GN3
    I Googled it and came up with this:


    N5 chooses hspa+ over LTE ??

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

    -Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
  14. #14  

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    I Googled it and came up with this:


    N5 chooses hspa+ over LTE ??

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    it seems discussion there is not really sure about this theory, keep an eye on it.
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    it seems discussion there is not really sure about this theory, keep an eye on it.
    Seems like it a common problem among many devices (restarting works for these people too until they hit another weak area):



    Guess I may be just a bit paranoid about LTE as this is my first device with it. I would just like it to use LTE unless there is no LTE signal to lock on to. I will continue to keep an eye on it though.
  16. #16  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,729 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,208 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    it seems discussion there is not really sure about this theory, keep an eye on it.
    I wonder. Does HSPA offer better battery life than LTE? If so, that may be why its naturally pointing there instead of to LTE.

    gp8.3
    Live long and prosper.


  17. #17  

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    I wonder. Does HSPA offer better battery life than LTE? If so, that may be why its naturally pointing there instead of to LTE.

    gp8.3
    apparently there is a study on this topic

    theoretically, LTE is actually more energy efficient than HSPA+. I think issue may be more to do with the coverage itself.
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    apparently there is a study on this topic

    theoretically, LTE is actually more energy efficient than HSPA+. I think issue may be more to do with the coverage itself.
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing! So in your opinion I keep getting shoved off LTE because the HSPA tower has better coverage?
  19. #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing! So in your opinion I keep getting shoved off LTE because the HSPA tower has better coverage?
    That, however, does not explain why other people around you had no problem.

    Im thinking, for whatever reason, your phone isn't picking up lte coverage efficiently, so it falls back to hspa. I don't know if it's that particular device, or N5 in general.

    I guess if it's a general N5 problem, others can compare their N5 and other devices to see if N5 has more trouble staying on lte.

    I don't have a N5 to compare, see if anybody else can confirm or disprove this.

    If it's not a general problem with N5, you may want to contact Google and ask for a replacement.

    @T-Mobile GN3
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    That, however, does not explain why other people around you had no problem.

    Im thinking, for whatever reason, your phone isn't picking up lte coverage efficiently, so it falls back to hspa. I don't know if it's that particular device, or N5 in general.

    I guess if it's a general N5 problem, others can compare their N5 and other devices to see if N5 has more trouble staying on lte.

    I don't have a N5 to compare, see if anybody else can confirm or disprove this.

    If it's not a general problem with N5, you may want to contact Google and ask for a replacement.

    @T-Mobile GN3
    What I don't get is in some cases I pick up LTE earlier than other people. Very odd.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    What I don't get is in some cases I pick up LTE earlier than other people. Very odd.
    I felt like it's not a major issue, does it impact your usage significantly? If not, I may just try to get over it.

    @T-Mobile GN3
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I felt like it's not a major issue, does it impact your usage significantly? If not, I may just try to get over it.

    @T-Mobile GN3
    I think I may just hold on to it for a week or so to see if I notice any real slowdowns for my usage. If not I'll live with it. I just am really OCD about my devices .
  23. #23  

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    My phone was mostly on HSPA+ over the Thanks Giving weekend for places where I normally get LTE. This week, it seems all go back to normal for me. So, I assume there is some AT&T network issue in play.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    May sound funny but I think since the 4.4.1 update it not only have I been getting better, stronger LTE coverage I have also not had it drop around town once. Rep at Google I talked to insisted there was no known problem but this makes me wonder...
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default Re: AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I felt like it's not a major issue, does it impact your usage significantly? If not, I may just try to get over it.

    @T-Mobile GN3
    Update 4.4.1 seemed to solve it, not a single problem. I just updated to 4.4.2 yesterday. A few hours ago my phone didn't want to send a group MMS. To test I also tried sending a picture MMS which also failed. I disconnected from the WiFi and the phone refused to connect to data until reboot. It connected to LTE and sent both the group message and MMS before dropping LTE and moving back to 'H' (not H+ - never have seen it connect to H+) until reboot. The phone not wanting to connect to data has me a bit concerned....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 03:41 PM
  2. Samsung Galaxy S4 - Connection Problems
    By dlw1967 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 01:24 PM
  3. Sprint Galaxy Nexus - Boot loop issue
    By Marcus Taylor1 in forum Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 06:19 AM
  4. HELP!!! AT&T Galaxy S3 stuck in Odin Mode!
    By jakeuten in forum AT&T Galaxy S3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2013, 02:13 PM
  5. WTS: NIB AT&T Moto X 32gb $350
    By prissysox in forum The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-04-2013, 09:08 PM

Posting Permissions

B