What was your previous phone? Do you like the Nexus 5 more or less? Why?

J00P24

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I came from a Moto X. I love the Nexus 5 but sometimes when I pick up my wife's X I miss the palmabilty of the X. It does feel so good in the hand :)

I agree the X does feel great in the hand. Still can't believe its a 4.7" screen on that thing. But going from nexus 4 to nexus 5 felt very similar but faster.

Posted via Android Central App

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I used to have a note 3. I think over all, I like it more. The nexus is a great phone. But its cheap build really ruins the experience for me. I know it's a budget phone but it still kills the experience. I wish Google would make a premium nexus with better materials. The specs are fine and aren't super important.

The build matters more to me. The buttons are rough and they rattle. The micro USB port wiggles and makes me feel like it will stop working any day now. Both the nexus and note 3 are great phones. I love stock android on the nexus and the camera takes great pictures. I also don't miss the bloatware on the note 3.

But for me the note 3 was a better experience over all. I love the screen, the camera and even the s-pen I rarely used but when I did I loved it.

I can see this. Do you use a case? My perceptions are similar, in retrospect, but I find this perception of build quality to be masked when one uses a case of some sort.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I think that you may be interested in the Google Play Editions then if you want a more premium phone with stock Android. HTC and Samsung came out with their variants last year. They will probably do the same this year as well.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

I'm kind of in the same boat. Good chance I look for the New One or S5 GPE phones this year. I hope they do them again. I love the Nexus, but I do have a few issues with it.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I think that you may be interested in the Google Play Editions then if you want a more premium phone with stock Android. HTC and Samsung came out with their variants last year. They will probably do the same this year as well.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Ya I've thought about that. The nexus really is a nice phone I just wish it was a line of phones. Like have the value nexus like the 5, and a more premium line that is the flagship.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I can see this. Do you use a case? My perceptions are similar, in retrospect, but I find this perception of build quality to be masked when one uses a case of some sort.

Nah. I haven't found a good case yet. Can you recommend one?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't consider myself overly picky bout cases. I like he simple rubber case that covers the sides and back, without adding a lot of bulk. Mine came from the T-Mobile store.

audioguy61

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I came from a Droid Razr Maxx on Verizon, the only thing I miss is battery life although with the next major update I think will make it closer. Only having Verizon phones I felt like I was never going to have a good Android experience there, soon after getting a phone I would always root and de-bloat or ROM. My Nexus is stock and I am just fine with that, minor concern about T-Mobile service but it has been just great at least where I live.

The screen on the Nexus 5 is amazing although in the car it is not readable in landscape mode when using polarized sunglasses because of the LCD display. I love the wireless charging and use it all the time. One area where the camera outshines even the iPhone's is the flash is really powerful, night shot of a group of people and I ended up sending a copy of the pic I took to the iPhone shooters because they didn't get anything usable.

All in all I'm super happy with the phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JSanchez41

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: What was your previous phone? Do you like the N5 more or less? Why?

From iphone 5 to Nexus 5

Best Decision ive made.

-Overal lager more crisp clean screen.
-More features. (iphone, very limited)

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Went from an iPhone 4s to the N5. I miss imessage and facetime. I also liked the camera software with apple more. However I had to have a bigger screen. I love kit Kat and the speed of the N5 too. I think if Google came out with a better messaging app I wouldn't complain. I hate the fact that I can't attach videos to texts easily. Hangouts lags during startup and I just don't care for it. I switched to hello SMS as my default although you can't attach video here either. I really like the N5 but I'm still considering going back to apple for the iPhone 6.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Came in from a VZW S3..... I really liked that phone, no real complaints about it, well, at least complaints that were the phone's doing... I switch in early January, and even then the KK roms for the S3 were buggy (My fav ROMs had issues switch from wifi to mobile, causing reboots).... I noticed that the Nexus 5 was quickly becoming the reference device for a lot of devs.

Glad I did.... great phone.... The S3 was a fairly peppy little device (at the time, of course), but the performance of the Nexus 5 is impressive. There's no lag, no jitter... things load lightening fast. The only 'complaints' I have are what most would say.... speaker is a little weak and the lack of storage is a little bit of an obstacle (especially running multi-rom)... but not a big deal. But both are minor and I have zero real complaints.

If I had to choose a new phone today, I'd choose another N5.

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the Nexus 5 to replace my secondary line I had with Virgin Mobile. It was a Samsung Galaxy Victory. Yes, I prefer the Nexus 5. My primary line I have is with Verizon. That one is a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and yes, I prefer the Nexus 5. It is faster and takes better pictures than the Note 3, even though it has a 13MP camera. It also has better resolution.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

previous phone: lumia 920
problems:
-the vibrator was loose from the get go (two of three lumias i had, had this same issue) so when the phone vibrates, it feels like cheap pos and it would even make this loud buzzing sound.
-battery would not last more than 2 hours if i have location and navi turned on.
-the phone would get so hot sometimes that the screen would literally pop off from the poly carbonate shell.
-lack of apps
-lack of support from nokia
-horrible build quality. after the third lumia, i just gave up and settled with what i had.

pro:
-the live tiles were cool until i realized the battery drains with live updates.
-phone design
-screen brightness
-battery can be charged from 5%-100% in less than one hour
-first phone with qi charge feature

Moosebear

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

That's funny, I also came from a Nokia Lumia (a 710) and I miss it like crazy.

It just worked. Windows phone 7, solid device, paid $150 for it brand new from my carrier (Mobilicity) and everything about it was reliable, intuitive, and clear. I never consulted a manual or read up on it because I never had to, it was all easy. Most apps I wanted were available.

I switched to the Nexus 5 because I converted to Mac, and calendar and contacts sync don't work well with Windows phone. And they disabled Google sync for WP.

I love my Nexus 5, the screen, the speed, the goodies available on Android. But I miss my old windows phone. Never thought I'd say that about any MS product!

Moosebear

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

This right here seems like insanity in motion.

Agreed, they may have thought they were forcing me to stay windows, they ended up forcing me to leave entirely. Bah-Bye! And it's too bad, cuz Windows phone rocks, IMO.

virnuls

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site

I came to the Nexus 5 from a 5-year old iPhone 3GS, so the improvement was quite dramatic - Android beats iOS into a cocked hat.

A fairer comparison is probably with my work phone, a Galaxy S3. I thought that Nexus 5 screen might look a bit insipid compared with the Samsung AMOLED screen, and it did to start with, but after about 10 minutes it flipped, and now I see that the Nexus 5 screen makes photos look natural, and everything on in the Samsung looks ridiculous - moody and over-saturated.

In fact, the Nexus 5 dramatically outperform the S3 in every area - it's much faster, it's lighter, and (despite the fact that it gets criticised for battery life) the Nexus 5 battery lasts easily twice as long as the Samsung's with probably heavier use. I also prefer the "plainness" of the pure Android interface and the fact that the home button is on the screen.

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

i know i'll get laughed out of this thread;

but i upgraded from a nexus s 4g to the nexus 5..

let me tell you, being on sprint i was *dying* for the next pure google android device, i thought the moto x was it, i decided to hold off, i kept eye balling the galaxy s4, the note2,3 .. still i held off..

THEN the nexus 5 showed up available for all carriers except verizon, the beauty of this nexus 5 & being locked to sprint via contract, was that it was a world roamer, & to even top THAT off it was **sim unlocked**..

you don't know the liberation felt being on a US cdma carrier with the power to be able to use any other network OTHER THAN while on contract..

the beauty of travelling abroad, & being able to buy a prepaid sim card swapping out the sprint one, rebooting, & having native service **with the same phone** a foreign concept for US cdma users.. the beauty of ALSO being able to use a cdma network, & freely being able to bounce on any gsm network at will..

if i had a million bucks on my truphone sim account ( & more in my personal account) i'd be a spy.. lol

Willxix

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Had a Sony experia s, was supposed to be songs flagship model, new Android versions didn't come out on xperia s until a year later if that.
I tried to root the xperia s but was impossible, the battery had to be charged 4 times a day,
Nexus 5 is just better in every way possible

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Had an HTC Vivid. Grew tired of the awful battery life, increasing lag, the designed in auto clear of the dalvik cache upon restart among other things. Got the Nexus due to the price/value ratio and the lack of manufacturer and especially carrier garbage. A bit over a month in and it hasn't disappointed.

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol