Galaxy Nexus owner has questions about the Nexus 5

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Galaxy Nexus, I'm probably going to get an N5 next month. My question is if there is a way to force a reset on the Nexus 5. My Galaxy Nexus can get wedged on occasion, for example when I turned on the Talk Back function in the Pebble app the phone became unusable because it got stuck in a modal message saying that talkback failed. The only way to recover was to pull the battery and then restore a backup image. Holding down the power button in situations like this does nothing, the only way to force the reboot is to pull the battery. The Nexus 5 doesn't have a removable battery so how do you force a reset? Does the power button reset always work? Or is there a reset pin hole?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
There will be a button combination to do the reset although I don't know what it is yet. Don't worry about it. Most phones these days have non-removable battery and there is always a way to do a soft or hard reset.

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
From someone who made the transition to a N5 from a GNex last month...do it! The Nexus 5 is a fantastic phone - the battery life is blowing the GNex battery out of the water (which, admittedly, isn't hard to do) and apps are so much smoother and faster. The biggest difference I notice this in is the AccuWeather app. It's the app I've used the most for weather, and with the GNex, sliding between the different panels (hourly, daily, weekly forecasts and such) was stuttery and slow. The app is a breeze on the N5.

As far as the reset thing...yeah, I wouldn't let that get in the way. Even though the battery isn't removable, there has to be a way to do a hard reset. If that's really a big issue for you (I've never had to do a hard reset), I'd reach out to Google support to see what they say.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Interesting question, I am unsure if anybody can test it without letting his/her phone freeze first, which is hard to do in the first place.

This should not be an overriding consideration for you, since its so rare. At worst, it will just shut off from running out of battery. Shouldn't be anything significant.
Most phones these days have non-removable battery .
If you think about it, this may not be true.

jmiesse134

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Interesting question, I am unsure if anybody can test it without letting his/her phone freeze first, which is hard to do in the first place.

This should not be an overriding consideration for you, since its so rare. At worst, it will just shut off from running out of battery. Shouldn't be anything significant.

volume down hold first then hold down power button to restart phone

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I knew Samsung ships most smartphones. But other than Samsung, everyone else pretty much ships only non-removable battery these days.

The hard reset button combination is Vol Up + Vol Down + Power. It is actually not hard reset but recovery where you can chose to wipe cache and data. Posted by T-Mobile.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I knew Samsung ships most smartphones. But other than Samsung, everyone else pretty much ships only non-removable battery these days.

The hard reset button combination is Vol Up + Vol Down + Power. It is actually not hard reset but recovery where you can chose to wipe cache and data. Posted by T-Mobile.

I believe Android Market is now filed with many unknown vendors, do you know that Huawei and zte actually ship more phones than lg, mototola, htc?

Samsung alone may only count 30 percent of smartphone, but with all those unnamed, unknown, low recognition phones. .....

@T-Mobile GN3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21