What's new in Android 4.4.1

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Here's the place to share any changes you're seeing in the new version. Here are the main ones I've noticed so far with so far...

• Misc camera changes (N5 only)
  • "Photos" now the default gallery app when swiping out of the Camera app
  • Haptic feedback is softer / duration reduced (N5 only)
  • Bug that left the notification bar partly opaque has been fixed
  • Bug causing low quality output from internal speaker in certain apps has been fixed (N5 only)
  • Cell/Wifi/battery icons in the notification bar are now aligned properly
  • Certain apps (e.g. WhatsApp) that were broken on ART before seem to work
  • Option for 4G/LTE under Mobile Data now shows "recommended."
  • LED pulses more frequently for regular notifications (e.g. Gmail)
  • Wireless display now called 'Cast screen'
Missing anything? Shout out below.

Last edited:

Doom4life

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
- Voicemail notification is now working (previously, if a voicemail was left, the notification wouldn't display until a reboot was done). This was confirmed by calling myself and leaving a voicemail message. I am on Bell Mobility BTW.

Some people have reported that the volume seems louder post update. After directly comparing to a Nexus 5 running 4.4, I can say this is not true as the volume is exactly the same on both.

arjen82

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Under settings -> Display 'Wireless display' has been renamed to 'Cast screen'. A precursor to Chromecast support (or just the Miracast option renamed)?

ryaninc

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
The settings icon in the quick settings pull down is different, too. There's a second circle inside it. Super tiny change, but worth mentioning.

Chris Nacca

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Iv been trying to confirm this , but it seems the boost frequency in the kernel ( project butter ) has increased from 1.0ghz to 1.2ghz ... checked on CPU spy .

kobazik

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I had a problem sideloaded 4.4.1 OTA on my N5 where 5Ghz wifi network will connect but no internet. Simply fix was to "forget" the wifi network and connect again. It could placebo cause I rebooted the phone but it feels a bit smoother, specially touch screen and keyboard (could be related to shorter haptic feedback)

Chris Nacca

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I had a problem sideloaded 4.4.1 OTA on my N5 where 5Ghz wifi network will connect but no internet. Simply fix was to "forget" the wifi network and connect again. It could placebo cause I rebooted the phone but it feels a bit smoother, specially touch screen and keyboard (could be related to shorter haptic feedback)

I noticed it being snappier too , like i said above your post, it seems to input boost is now 1.29ghz instead of 1.0ghz , that would help

mabr82

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Still waiting

In the UK.....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386328957561.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386328957561.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 251

Scottatron

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
The Power control widget now allows three options for location. Battery saver shows the Icon half white.

Also, seems LTE reception on the 1800mhz frequency has gotten worse, showing less bars. Need to test this further however.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Is it now possible to set the screen never to sleep?

Is Search and OK Google fixed?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

poisonrain

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Please, please, tell me that you can select 3G mode in mobile settings and that it actually sticks now. i.e. come out and go back in and it hasn't forgotten the setting. :'(
Thanks,
PR

tebore

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Please please fix the exchange. Having working exchange in the stock email app on 4.3 was a huge motivator for me to move to the N5.
The bug was fixed in AOSP 10 days ago and its critical for Google to gain adoption in BYOD so finger's crossed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz