Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Yogi217
  • 1 Post By QWIKSTRIKE
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default side load help

Trying to side load 4.4.1
    I get stuck on the droid with red exclamation point. I try pressing vol up and power nothing happens. I want to get to stock recovery mode.
    Following these instructions and stuck on step 14.

Default Re: side load help

Sounds like you are in Stock recovery. Press the power and volume up buttons when you hit that screen.

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by y2whisper View Post
    Sounds like you are in Stock recovery. Press the power and volume up buttons when you hit that screen.

Posted via Android Central App
    Did that and nothing happens

Just reboots after a bit.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

WOOO HOOOO!!! Got it to work! Just side loaded my first update. 4.4.1! I have never unlocked, rooted or rom-ed before.

People on this thread posted these instructions:

Hope this helps!

Thanked by:
    slave 
    y2whisper likes this.

Global Posts
    801 Global Posts

Congrats on figuring it out! Now you will never have to wait for an OTA to come crawling to your phone!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    Congrats on figuring it out! Now you will never have to wait for an OTA to come crawling to your phone!
    Why did I not do this before?? You are so right. After doing this, I am never waiting for an update again!!

So cool.

Now I plan to learn how to root over the next few weeks...
    Thanked by:
    yfan 

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi217 View Post
    WOOO HOOOO!!! Got it to work! Just side loaded my first update. 4.4.1! I have never unlocked, rooted or rom-ed before.

People on this thread posted these instructions:

Hope this helps!

YOU ROCK!

I'd like to side load 4.4.1 on to my brand new Nexus 5 as well. Completely new to Android and side loading though. I think I understand all of the steps but I don't get how to navigate to a particular folder via Terminal on a Mac. Any help would be appreciated.

Otherwise how long would you guess it might take for this thing to come OTA?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBroccoli View Post
    I'd like to side load 4.4.1 on to my brand new Nexus 5 as well. Completely new to Android and side loading though. I think I understand all of the steps but I don't get how to navigate to a particular folder via Terminal on a Mac. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    There is a thread on XDA on how to manually update the Nexus 5, and people with Macs are there doing this! Anyone with a window based PC will find a post that I made there which helps sort out installation bugs incurred while in recovery!
    Thanked by 2:
    Yogi217 likes this.

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBroccoli View Post

Thanks.
    When you installed the SDK you should have chosen the location you wanted to save it. So navigating to it would look like this when you have the Terminal App open:
    Code:
    cd location/of/sdk/file/platform-tools
    If you are unsure, just right click on the platform-tools folder and select properties. In the window that pops-up you will see the file location. Copy the whole location and paste it after "cd". The update file needs to be put in the platform-tools folder in order to work.

Let us know if you have further questions.
    Thanked by:
    JohnnyBroccoli likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I used the adb not the cd command and it worked for me. I got stuck on the red exclamation point, but figured it out and then it was smooth sailing after that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk