Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gwaron
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Root gone wrong

    ok people i rooted my nexus a few weeks ago and was all good. i tried to install the new 4.4.1 update and i must have done something wrong. i used wugfresh to return to stock after about 4 tries and i thought everything was fine apart from my nexus 5 32GB is now a 16GB. i no longer have root and am not going to root untill after i get the ota 4.4.1 update. anyone have any ideas on what to do? will google take it back if i send it back?
  2. #2  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,729 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,209 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    Google may take it back, but the only way to really know is to ask. The thing that is alarming to me is that you lost half your storage capacity. You could try flashing another ROM. ...CM or SlimBean.
    Live long and prosper.


  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    ok i have got it back to 32GB, i re rooted and went to recovery (TWRP) and hit wipe and then format data i found this on a forum over at xda that someone had the same issue with a nexus 10. So for the second time today i have re installed all my apps.
  4. #4  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,729 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,209 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    Great. Is all back to normal?

    gp8.3
    Live long and prosper.


  5. #5  
    krifor03's Avatar

    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    If your rooted, and have the factory kernel you should have been able to side load the 4.4.1 update without any issue.

    If you have a custom kernel like franco kernel you need to re flash the stock kernel, then flash the stock system image file, THEN side load the update

    My Nexus 5 Rocks \m/
  6. #6  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,729 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,209 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    4.4.1 will come over the air. My recommendation is to just wait for it to come in that fashion. Getting it a couple of hours earlier just doesn't seem worth the hassle it appears the OP has gone through.

    gp8.3
    Live long and prosper.


  7. #7  
    krifor03's Avatar

    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

    Default

    That's cool and all until the NEXT update comes out, if your going to root, might as well know the steps you need to update with having to completely erase your phone

    Nexus 5 4.4.1
    Got sideload?
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Mayfield View Post
    ok people i rooted my nexus a few weeks ago and was all good. i tried to install the new 4.4.1 update and i must have done something wrong. i used wugfresh to return to stock after about 4 tries and i thought everything was fine apart from my nexus 5 32GB is now a 16GB. i no longer have root and am not going to root untill after i get the ota 4.4.1 update. anyone have any ideas on what to do? will google take it back if i send it back?
    He specifically says in the tool kit when you are relocking that sometimes it will display your storage wrong. Follow his instructions and you should be able to fix it. You still have the storage, the space is just displayed incorrectly

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    Yeah all back to normal now, thanks guys. I think k I'll just wait for the ota. But does that mean when the ota comes I have to unroot and let the ota do its thing and then re root again?

    Posted via Android Central App
  10. #10  
    jj14x's Avatar

    Posts
    523 Posts
    Global Posts
    548 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    Did you ever figure out what you did wrong when you tried the update the first time?

    It is fairly straightforward.
    Step 1: Verify that you are on the stock ROM (or get back to stock by flashing the stock ROM). Note: You do not need stock recovery
    Step 2: Download the update file to your phone, and flash it in your custom recovery (Flash SuperSU right after this to regain root - or you can flash it later)
    Step 2a (If you are on stock recovery, you will need to ABD sideload the update file instead of flashing in custom recovery)
    Step 3: Let phone boot up.


    The main reason why the update doesn't go successfully is if you have modified the system files in some way - maybe installed the Xposed framework, or changed build.prop, or deleted some system apk or installed a cusom ROM altogether, or something like that. As long as your ROM is unchanged 4.4 stock, the update will go thru'.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    I guess rooting is out the question for me.
  12. #12  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Star-Lord View Post
    I guess rooting is out the question for me.
    I've rooted my phones in the past, but the only reason was to eliminate the bloatware, and install an OS which was close to the pure android experience. And my experience was that the rooted OS are buggy.

    That being said, for me there is no reason to root the N5 for the purposes of adding the bloatware of a different OS. For me, the N5 is as good as it gets. What it lacks, I can fill in with some simple apps.

    Personal opinion, your mileage will likely vary.
    CompMan2012 likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    Did you ever figure out what you did wrong when you tried the update the first time?

    It is fairly straightforward.
    Step 1: Verify that you are on the stock ROM (or get back to stock by flashing the stock ROM). Note: You do not need stock recovery
    Step 2: Download the update file to your phone, and flash it in your custom recovery (Flash SuperSU right after this to regain root - or you can flash it later)
    Step 2a (If you are on stock recovery, you will need to ABD sideload the update file instead of flashing in custom recovery)
    Step 3: Let phone boot up.


    The main reason why the update doesn't go successfully is if you have modified the system files in some way - maybe installed the Xposed framework, or changed build.prop, or deleted some system apk or installed a cusom ROM altogether, or something like that. As long as your ROM is unchanged 4.4 stock, the update will go thru'.
    Yeah this is what I did I'm running completely stock I wouldn't no how to change roms or anything like that. The only thing I'm not sure if I did right was in recovery I just went to install from zip and found the file are you supposed to do that or go somewhere else? The update applied and I was running 4.4.1 but none of the Google Apps worked and it showed no service even though my sim was in.

    Posted via Android Central App
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwaron View Post
    I've rooted my phones in the past, but the only reason was to eliminate the bloatware, and install an OS which was close to the pure android experience. And my experience was that the rooted OS are buggy.

    That being said, for me there is no reason to root the N5 for the purposes of adding the bloatware of a different OS. For me, the N5 is as good as it gets. What it lacks, I can fill in with some simple apps.

    Personal opinion, your mileage will likely vary.
    101% agree. I understand that some want to tweak and maximize their phone's performance, but most of us that rooted in the past did it on a non-Nexus device to get the pure Android experience. And there really wasn't a good Nexus phone out until the N4. With the N5 you have a flagship phone with a pure OS. There is no compelling reason for me to root.
  15. #15  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by swebb View Post
    101% agree. I understand that some want to tweak and maximize their phone's performance, but most of us that rooted in the past did it on a non-Nexus device to get the pure Android experience. And there really wasn't a good Nexus phone out until the N4. With the N5 you have a flagship phone with a pure OS. There is no compelling reason for me to root.
    Although, I have to admit it's fun getting in there and tweaking!
  16. #16  
    jj14x's Avatar

    Posts
    523 Posts
    Global Posts
    548 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Mayfield View Post
    The only thing I'm not sure if I did right was in recovery I just went to install from zip and found the file are you supposed to do that or go somewhere else? The update applied and I was running 4.4.1 but none of the Google Apps worked and it showed no service even though my sim was in.
    To confirm, you went into your recovery (TWRP, right?), and clicked the install button, and selected the file you had downloaded (from google's site I assume) - and swiped to flash.
    If so, that is the right sequence of steps. It is strange that you were having trouble with google apps though.
    1. What version of TWRP are you on? (just curious - it should work with all the compatible versions)
    2. Where did you download the update file from? (to confirm that it was from google's site)
    3. Which google app was not working after the update? (Were you getting force close? Or just some functionality wasn't working?)
    4. Were you having trouble with all google apps? or only a few?
    5. For service issue, did you try to perform a reprovision? (on Sprint, I do a profile update and a PRL update) - again, this is not usually needed, but just as a debugging step.
    6. Before installing the update in TWRP, did you wipe anything? (you shouldn't have to wipe anything - but most importantly, don't ever wipe your EFS partition. BTW, if you haven't backed up your EFS in TWRP, you should do that now - From what I've read, if you accidentally wipe it, your phone loses its IMEI/MEID information, and you are stuck with a wifi device)
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    To confirm, you went into your recovery (TWRP, right?), and clicked the install button, and selected the file you had downloaded (from google's site I assume) - and swiped to flash.
    If so, that is the right sequence of steps. It is strange that you were having trouble with google apps though.
    1. What version of TWRP are you on? (just curious - it should work with all the compatible versions)
    2. Where did you download the update file from? (to confirm that it was from google's site)
    3. Which google app was not working after the update? (Were you getting force close? Or just some functionality wasn't working?)
    4. Were you having trouble with all google apps? or only a few?
    5. For service issue, did you try to perform a reprovision? (on Sprint, I do a profile update and a PRL update) - again, this is not usually needed, but just as a debugging step.
    6. Before installing the update in TWRP, did you wipe anything? (you shouldn't have to wipe anything - but most importantly, don't ever wipe your EFS partition. BTW, if you haven't backed up your EFS in TWRP, you should do that now - From what I've read, if you accidentally wipe it, your phone loses its IMEI/MEID information, and you are stuck with a wifi device)
    Ok version is v2.6.3.2
    I went into install and clicked the file, from memory it was from a how to guide over at xda.
    Ah camera app wouldn't work nor would Google play and was getting errors in notification bar from gapps.
    No I didn't wipe anything.
    OK thanks doing a full nandroid backup now.
    Man all this stuff is pretty confusing, I think I'll just use wugfresh to unroot and let the ota happen and then use it again to reroot. I really need someone to talk me through it, I get confused reading about flashing and sideloading but I really want to understand what each thing means and what it's doing not just no how to do it and not no why I'm doing it haha. And for the people saying no need to root I only root for an app called arliberator which hooks up to my car and mirrors my phones screen on my head unit, really cool.

    Posted via Android Central App
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    Install in twrp just to be clear. So if I did a backup on my phone a nandroid in twrp and I try flash the ota for 4.4.1 again and it does the same thing (goes bad). will I be able to get back to twrp to restore the back up or will I loose root during the ota and there for not have twrp and not be able to restore back up? Hope I'm not sounding stupid here.

    Posted via Android Central App
  19. #19  
    jj14x's Avatar

    Posts
    523 Posts
    Global Posts
    548 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    What was the error message you were receiving?

    Personally, I don't use a tool to root/unroot - I do it manually, because it helps me understand exactly what is being done (step by step). When you use a toolkit, you are left wondering exactly what was done - did it relock the bootloader after rooting? did it flash the su binary? etc... (nothing against wugfresh - from what I've read, it is a clean root, and works wonderfully).
    Doing it manually is just a few steps, one after the other, and the xda threads have a LOT of detail about how to do that.

    Anyway, back to your issue here (since it is unlikely that it was caused by wug's tool) - since the flash seems to have been successful, I think the next step would be to look at exactly what the error message was. But since you've flashed back to 4.4, you can't really troubleshoot anymore.

    If you don't have custom recovery (and are fully stock), you should get OTA. It should install successfully. After rebooting, you can just re-root, install custom recovery, and flash supersu binaries.
  20. #20  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    6,743 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    If you unlock the bootloader and root, OTA should still be received. If you unlock bootloader, root and install customizations, i.e. custom kernel, ROM, etc., then the OTA won't be received and attempting to sideload will give errors.

    If you have any doubts and want to receive OTA or sideload, then I recommend restoring back to stock 4.4 and go from there. Follow the guide prepared for the Nexus 4 and supplement files for the Nexus 5 (i.e. download factory image for Hammerhead - Nexus 5). If there are any questions let me know and I'll do my best to help: [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Factory Image Restore
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    What was the error message you were receiving?

    Personally, I don't use a tool to root/unroot - I do it manually, because it helps me understand exactly what is being done (step by step). When you use a toolkit, you are left wondering exactly what was done - did it relock the bootloader after rooting? did it flash the su binary? etc... (nothing against wugfresh - from what I've read, it is a clean root, and works wonderfully).
    Doing it manually is just a few steps, one after the other, and the xda threads have a LOT of detail about how to do that.

    Anyway, back to your issue here (since it is unlikely that it was caused by wug's tool) - since the flash seems to have been successful, I think the next step would be to look at exactly what the error message was. But since you've flashed back to 4.4, you can't really troubleshoot anymore.

    If you don't have custom recovery (and are fully stock), you should get OTA. It should install successfully. After rebooting, you can just re-root, install custom recovery, and flash supersu binaries.
    I'd didn't give an error message it all seemed fine but when I booted up none of the gapps worked they all just forced closed. Yeah I think I'll manually root this time not that there's anything wrong with wugfresh I just feel like it's something I should no how to do and what each thing is doing. I got the 4.4.2 ota today and it went on fine even running twrp, lost root but that was to be expected.

    Posted via Android Central App
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    And also thank you guys for your help I was mega freaking out and you all helped me back to normality lol

    Posted via Android Central App
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Root gone wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwaron View Post
    I've rooted my phones in the past, but the only reason was to eliminate the bloatware, and install an OS which was close to the pure android experience. And my experience was that the rooted OS are buggy.

    That being said, for me there is no reason to root the N5 for the purposes of adding the bloatware of a different OS. For me, the N5 is as good as it gets. What it lacks, I can fill in with some simple apps.

    Personal opinion, your mileage will likely vary.
    I'd only root just to use Adblock on cellular in addition to wifi. I don't care about ROMs since stock android is good as it is. Maybe a few mods here or there.
    Thanked by:
    Gwaron 

Similar Threads

  1. I Need Help Rooting My Samsung Galaxy S4
    By matth_84 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-10-2013, 08:59 PM
  2. UCUAMF3 Rooted... then got greedy... help please
    By Chris Thompson4 in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-08-2013, 10:39 PM
  3. What is an easy way to backup my HTC One V before I root?
    By jayboiandroid in forum HTC One V
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-08-2013, 12:46 PM
  4. Trying to Root Idolian Studio Mini to no avail...
    By Ch405f0rm in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2013, 11:37 AM
  5. Need Help! Brand New Right of Box Root Went Bad!
    By fish411 in forum Nexus 5 Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 07:12 PM

Posting Permissions

B