The future of Google Voice?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hoping this isn't too far off topic, but I figure that most Nexus 5 owners are pretty pro-Google services and may be able to offer some insight.

I've used Google voice for the past 3 years as a carrier text replacement app and for it's caller ID abilities. It has been my primary number for calling and text since I got a smartphone.

I am planning to add someone to my family plan and have mentioned how Google Voice can save money on texting charges. She has never had a Google Voice and has uses her regular cell number for texting and, understandably, doesn't want to have a new number for texting.

She seems open to porting her carrier number to Google Voice. This would allow her to have one number for calling and texting and be carrier independent.

I have a couple concerns:

1) Will Google continue to exist in the future? I know they are changing how it works in May/2014 and some 3rd Party Apps will be affected. I don't use any 3rd Party Apps, but does anyone think it's possible that Google may just kill the service in the future?

I know they have discontinued services before, and I would hate to have someone port their number to Google and have it be gone forever.

I would also hate to have to start paying for texts again or to go back to using a number that is tied to a carrier.

If I could only use 2 Google Services on my device, it would be Google Voice and Maps. It would definitely be hard giving up Gmail, Youtube, and even Google Drive, but that is how much I depend on Google Voice.

2) Is Google Voice popular enough or bring in enough money or data to where it safe from Google axing it?

3) Anyone else port their number over to Google and have any experiences to share?

4) This may be more suited for Imore, but has anyone seen if GV plays nice for texting and caller ID on IOS?

She may decide to get an Iphone.

Last edited:

mdcraig

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
This is just my opinion with no real evidence to back it up. I think Google voice is going to be axed as a stand alone product. I think they will roll it into Hangouts. What this means for existing gvoice numbers, I really hope they follow. I wouldn't be a happy camper if they didn't.

Voice calling in hangouts is going to happen. It's already been implemented in ios but not Android (which really sucks). My guess is you gvoice number will be you're new voip number in Hangouts.

I've not had an iPhone, but I know gvoice does work on it. I just can't speak to how well.

Also, you may want to consider letting your friend know that with gvoice she can't send any mms messages. So no pictures. Doesn't bother me too much but that is a big deal to some people.

Posted via Android Central App

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Google voice isn't going away. Google has already said Hangouts is the future of Voice. Whether that means Hangouts will become the exclusive way to access Google Voice or whether forwarding numbers will continue to exist alongside it remains to be seen.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
This is just my opinion with no real evidence to back it up. I think Google voice is going to be axed as a stand alone product. I think they will roll it into Hangouts. What this means for existing gvoice numbers, I really hope they follow. I wouldn't be a happy camper if they didn't. Also, you may want to consider letting your friend know that with gvoice she can't send any mms messages. So no pictures. Doesn't bother me too much but that is a big deal to some people. Posted via Android Central App

I am glad I'm not the only one that cares a lot about GV and its future. I knew about the lack of MMS support, but I'll also let her know. I don't figure it will be a big deal to her, but I don't know 100% I actually expect Google to add this feature in the future, eventually, so I am not too worried.

BuffaloMadMan

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Its known and already has taken place on iOS that gvoice will be rolled into hangouts at some point. I think they said by or end of January

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I used to use Google Voice, but at some point I lost the ability to call my wife and haven't been able to set it up well enough to use it since then... I'm on Sprint, so that didn't help.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I would NOT have a non-tech, non-Google committed person port their number to Google Voice. And this is coming from someone that had Grandcentral beta access.

There can be confusion between numbers for calling and texting, using a different voicemail app, and NO PICTURE messaging. NONE.

I thought about doing the same with my parents to get them off Vonage - but GVoice is not quite there yet.
I believe that GVoice will be rolled into Hangouts and what will happen is a consolidation of numbers/email/text/instant messaging - whereby the USER sets their preference on how they are contacted. You mom calls your phone number, but you can answer your cell, or answer with video on Hangouts, or voice on Hangouts, or can text back if it's from a device that can text.

My $.02.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
No, Google Talk is rolled into Hangouts. I have a Nexus 5 and I still have Voice.

Well im not sure i know the difference between those two. All i know is my Voice number is incorperated in with my Hangouts. A number which ive never used and not sure why i even need it. My cell number works fine with it and unlimited texts are included in TMobiles plans.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Well im not sure i know the difference between those two. All i know is my Voice number is incorperated in with my Hangouts. A number which ive never used and not sure why i even need it. My cell number works fine with it and unlimited texts are included in TMobiles plans.

That is to integrate SMS/MMS with your Google Voice number. :)