Anyone get the 4.4.1 OTA update?

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I actually side-loaded it. That is, after soft-bricking my phone and having to re-install the stock 4.4 image. :-\ Long story. Anyway, anyone else get it? Build # KOT49E.

edab

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Nothing here......... I also side loaded the update on my Nexus 4 and all went well but just thought I would wait for the update to come to my Nexus 5. Looks like they are taking there sweet time to get it rolled out.............

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Those aren't OTA update files, though, those are for stock recovery. I've never seen an OTA listed there.

Yes that's true. I never paid too much attention to the details on this page I guess, but I thought they all show up here.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible that Google sort of rolled out the 4.4.1 update to the press and either the press or some intrepid Android fan then posted the OTA links to the world and we took that to mean the OTA is rolling out?

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible that Google sort of rolled out the 4.4.1 update to the press and either the press or some intrepid Android fan then posted the OTA links to the world and we took that to mean the OTA is rolling out?

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

Answer Fuzzy Ask Again Later.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Google started the 4.4.1 OTA on 12/5/2013. Google only sends 1% or the new Nexus 5 phones this update in the first 24-48 hours OTA. They then wait for problems before rolling out more. People also side load the new update. If all looks good after about week to ten days everyone on the Nexus 5 will get it.

Google OTA Upgrades Roll Out Slowly

Recently, a Google engineer cleared the process up for Nexus users, giving them a detailed look at how Google rolls out its Android software to Nexus devices. Here is what he had to say:

Rollouts are conducted in phases. Typically they start at 1% of devices for around 24 – 48 hours; we watch the return rates and resulting device checkins and error reports (if any), and make sure nothing looks wrong before sending it to more. Then typically it goes to 25%, 50%, 100% over the course of a week or two.

What the percentages mean is that when your device checks in, it has a 1% chance (for example) of being offered the OTA. If it doesn’t (randomly) get an offer, it will never get an offer until the next batch.

OW, once your device checks in and gets turned down, that’s it until the next batch. Mashing on the “check for updates” button just causes your device to check in again, and get automatically turned down again. Think about how that makes your device feel! WON’T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE PHONES?!

That said, once the new batch does start, hitting that button does give you a new roll of the dice — but once. Since devices usually only check in for system updates every 24 hours (I think? Certainly on a many-hours basis) this can get you your shot sooner than it would happen on its own.

So, mash away. :) Just be patient, and mashing on it more often than once or twice a day isn’t going to gain you anything.

Something that Nexus 5 owners should keep in mind today and over the next week or so. Typically, roll outs take about a week or so to finish up so those waiting for the upgrade Over-the-Air could be in for a bit of a wait.

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Google only sends 1% the new update in the first 24-48 hours OTA. They then wait for problems before rolling out more. People also side load the new update. If all looks good after about week to ten days everyone on the Nexus 5 will get it.

Yes, but it goes from 1% after 2 days to like 25% then 50% etc. Seems like more people should have received the OTA especially since it seems like a good update.

Google4Lifee

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I know for a fact that the OTA is rolling out to Nexus 5 users... Went to a Winter Wonderlab and the guy said that he got the OTA on their nexus 5 demo phone.

I really hope it is also rolling out to Nexus 10, 4... since I own both.

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I didn't get any updates.. I used nexus 5 camera a lot for the last two days.. And i have to say it ain't fast. Camera opens really slowly from the lock screen and if you want to switch to camcorder.. Ahh I've missed too much good stuff because of it slow switching. I was able to snap good amount of decent pictures but i feel like n5 could have done those a lot better. Optical image stabilization seems like a gimmick (a joke.. My wife's iPhone did capture pics a lot better) im generally not used to take pictures while moving or making a quick shots on to go. I like to take time.. For that kinda photography N5 is good enough but as i said it ain't that good for quick snap pictures.

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
My experiences:

I'm now approaching 600 photos taken with the N5, about 400 of which were under OS 4.4. I use my phone camera extensively for my job (typically around 1,000 pics per month). The shutter was definitely slower under 4.4. Under OS 4.4.1, the speed is much improved, but I find the low light clarity to be slightly more grainy but still much better than other phones I've seen (and even better than my Canon S95 point and shoot). Regarding the OIS, I find it to be far from a gimmick, and actually quite good. The pictures so far from this phone have been nothing short of spectacular, IMO.

FWIW, I went back to my picture files taken with my previous SGS3, and in 17 months I took just under 16,000 photos. Looking back and comparing, the photos on the N5 are much better.

My wife has the new iPhone, and the N5 takes much better low light pictures. Daytime pictures under OS 4.4.1using HDR look better than the iPhone's; more true to life. No question, as we've taken side-by-side shots and compared. The N5 seems to do a much better job at exposure compensation.

Last edited:

TechNut13

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I am in Toronto with Telus, and I just now got the OTA Update. However the update was for 4.4.2 not 4.4.1. It took less then 10 minutes for the update to install and restart my phone.

Looks like they are starting to roll things out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34