1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wi Fi direct question

I connected my N5 and N7 via wi fi direct successfully and trying to transfer some pictures from N7 to N5.
    In Gallery app there is NO "Wi Fi direct" option in the "share" menu for the selected picture. So how could i
    transfer file(s) between my devices?

Thank you, have a nice day!

SLo

Default Re: Wi Fi direct question

I use ES File Explorer to transfer files between Nexus devices while on wifi direct. First make a wifi direct connection then go in the app, choose the pictures you want to transfer, select the the 3 dot menu and hit send. For some strange reason I always have to retry once before it detects my Nexus 7 but it does work.

Sent from my mobile device using an app.

If the Nexus 7 has NFC you can try highlighting the file you want to send, then hold the devices close together back to back until they both vibrate and then tap on the screen of the sender. It may not work that easily though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    If the Nexus 7 has NFC you can try highlighting the file you want to send, then hold the devices close together back to back until they both vibrate and then tap on the screen of the sender. It may not work that easily though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    That will transfer via BT. Good for 1 or 2 but otherwise too slow for a bunch of photos.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Even i have the same problem. The phone connects and everything, but the share option is not given gallery. Has Google made some mistake about it ??

Posted via Android Central App

Won't you need a Wifi-Direct app?

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darshan Madekar View Post
    Even i have the same problem. The phone connects and everything, but the share option is not given gallery. Has Google made some mistake about it ??

Posted via Android Central App
    If you go into Gallery and select a photo, you'll see a share icon in the top menu bar. When selecting share, there are many options to share or send the photo.

Is this what you were looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaron View Post
    If you go into Gallery and select a photo, you'll see a share icon in the top menu bar. When selecting share, there are many options to share or send the photo.

I believe they are saying wifi direct is not a share option.
    Pat
    Chromecast

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    I believe they are saying wifi direct is not a share option.
    Gotcha. My bad.

That will transfer via BT. Good for 1 or 2 but otherwise too slow for a bunch of photos.
    Yes, it is a lot slower for a large file or many. I use SuperBeam to help with that but it still is much slower, but it depends on the WiFi speed too.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    Yes, it is a lot slower for a large file or many. I use SuperBeam to help with that but it still is much slower, but it depends on the WiFi speed too.

Not sure I get you. BT has nothing to do with wifi. When you use NFC to transefer files between Nexus devices you are doing it via BT. There is no wifi involved in the process. On the other hand those cute Samsung commercials that used to show people quickly sharing files between devices in front of a bunch of people waiting on line for a new iPhone did use wifi direct as part of the process, but that was a Samsung feature not plain Android. Samsung's utility would use NFC to quickly turn on and off wifi direct on the 2 phones.
    Pat
    Chromecast

Not sure I get you. BT has nothing to do with wifi. When you use NFC to transefer files between Nexus devices you are doing it via BT. There is no wifi involved in the process. On the other hand those cute Samsung commercials that used to show people quickly sharing files between devices in front of a bunch of people waiting on line for a new iPhone did use wifi direct as part of the process, but that was a Samsung feature not plain Android. Samsung's utility would use NFC to quickly turn on and off wifi direct on the 2 phones.
    Oh, OK. I admit I don't know anything about how it works but it is cool. Part of the waiting time is if you select a bunch of files to zip before transfer. The zipping takes some time.

Global Posts
    4,273 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

BT +HS which Samsung Implemented in their Android devices (since the OG Galaxy S) does have something to do with Wi-Fi in that it would do the Data Transfer using an 802 protocol instead of using BT EDR (after doing the pairing/handshaking over BT), which allowed it to achieve speeds 10x that of BT EDR.

Issue is, like most things, lots of phones don't have BT +HS implemented. Samsung has been the only OEM to consistently implement it, so you only get that between two Samsung devices.

Even without Wi-Fi Direct, 2 Galaxy S2 devices will still achieve probably 8-10x the BT transfer speeds than 2 Nexus devices (even 2 Nexus 5 devices).

Another benefit of that is the increase throughput when using the phone with a PC over BT. While most non-Samsung phones do not support BT +HS, a ton of PCs/Notebooks with BT chips in them actually do and I'm pretty sure most of Samsung's Wi-Fi Tablets do as well :-) For synching over BT or Tethering over BT, this has huge benefits there...

Without BT +HS, BT (or anything that uses BT for the transfer) isn't even worth using for any data of decent size. It's simply too slow. 200MB Video can take forever just to transfer. It's like downloading it over a 2mbps internet connection...

Google needs to make Android Beam use Wi-Fi ASAP. They should have done that when they opened it up to data transfers (instead of just links, contact data, etc.), IMO.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaron View Post

Yes, you are right, that is where i were looking for.
    After my N5 and N7 2012 were connected successfully, you have to find a way to use it without install addition app. I found no "wi fi direct" option among the many options in the pop up menu after selecting share in Gallery. Same in the "ES File Explorer" no option for transferring file using "Wi Fi Direct".

So i requested for help. Anyway thanks for you all.

Have a nice day !

SLo

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by losl View Post
    Yes, you are right, that is where i were looking for.
    After my N5 and N7 2012 were connected successfully, you have to find a way to use it without install addition app. I found no "wi fi direct" option among the many options in the pop up menu after selecting share in Gallery. Same in the "ES File Explorer" no option for transferring file using "Wi Fi Direct".

So i requested for help. Anyway thanks for you all.

Have a nice day !

SLo
    Yeah, I realized my error after the post. For transferring photos over WiFi, I've been using the Photo Transfer app. It works on all platforms, is very intuitive and fast. I've also been unable to transfer using WiFi Direct.

Es File Explorer have to be on both devices.

Sent from my mobile device using an app.
    Last edited by jairusz; 12-11-2013 at 06:59 PM.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

jairusz,

I do have "ES File Explorer" in both devices.

No offence, do you really think you are transferring files via your "WI FI Direct" not via LAN in your screen recording? I notice that your N7 has an IP "192.168.1.142" that is the IP in your LAN (home Network). But AFAIK "Wi Fi Direct" Dose NOT rely on any other network such as LAN, or your home network. It connects two devices directly similar to bluetooth. So file transferring can be done without any external network connection.

Please correct me if I am wrong, thank you !

SLo
    Last edited by losl; 12-11-2013 at 07:41 PM.

A wifi direct network connection follows the same protocols as a local area network but instead of all devices connecting through a middleman (router), they connect straight to the device of the group owner. When a wifi direct network connection is made, the device of the group owner sets up the SSID name (Remembered Groups), password, encryption, and IP address for the wifi direct network automatically. This isn't through LAN because I can disconnect both devices from my router and still send files through this method as they are still connected through wifi direct.
    Last edited by jairusz; 12-11-2013 at 07:48 PM.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

jairusz,

Thank you for your enlightening !

Have a nice day !

SLo

Can any one tell me how to tranfer my files using wifi direct ? I can't do it between a samsung grand quattro and my moto g

Using superbeam (free on playstore) makes this super easy. I highly recommend it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk