Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is the Power Button SUPPOSED to rattle??

As the title says. Not sure if this is normal or not, or this is a first batch problem.

Just to clarify, I'm referring to the ceramic power button being loose on the phone - loose enough to the point of rattling if I shake it hard enough

New phone received, and the new one does NOT have a loose and rattling power key. Thanks
    Last edited by kyoo; 12-12-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Default Re: Is the Power Button SUPPOSED to rattle??

No. Others have said theirs does, and requested replacements if there was worry it may fall out or malfunction.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Mine kind of rattles when I tap the top of my phone, but other than that it is pretty solid.

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

gotcha. put in a replacement order now.

I, along with everyone I know that got a Nex 5 has a power button rattling problem. Report back if your replacement doesn't rattle. Sounds pretty widespread, so good luck.

Posted via Android Central App

Mine is a little loose. If a shake the phone a little i hear a very slight sound. I mean it is slight. Yes it is a bit loose but i have my slim armor case on it so that holds it in place. Tht is the only issue i have. Other than that, i have no issue with the phone not ringing or any issue with Hangouts and not sending or recieving MMS and the speaker though not real loud,, it isnt real weak either.

I figure once i get 4.4.2, it will fix the camera and speaker and this phone will be awesome.

I don't perceive the power button on mine rattling at all. Maybe my eyes and ears aren't good enough to notice minute problems anymore.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4.2 KitKat

I think almost everyone's power button on the Nexus 5 rattles. It doesn't bother me.
    The satisfying click it makes when I press it makes up for the rattling
    Jonneh likes this.

No rattle at all on my launch unit. I guess I got lucky as I don't have any of the launch issues reported, button rattle, dead pixels etc.

With the update to 4.2.2 the speaker volume and clarity is much better (every bit as good as my moto x was) and the camera is much faster as well.

IMO, the update has made this device just about perfect and for the price there is nothing that can touch it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP
    mrsmumbles likes this.

Oy vey!

Please understand that the power button (and volume buttons) almost certainly do not rattle. If anything rattles at all, it would be the ceramic button activators which fit loosely in cutouts in the plastic case and which, when pressed, activate the actual circuit board-mounted buttons.

I suggest you take 33 minutes to view this video for a full understanding of how your Nexus 5 is constructed. In particular, notice the three white buttons which are visible at 17:15 - 17:35 and the ceramic button activators which can be seen at 21:22 - 22:05.

This guy makes great teardown videos, by the way!
    Thanked by:

4.4.2 update fixes the power button rattle.
    Thanked by 2:

Strangely I have the opposite issue that others have. My volume rocker rattles a good bit, however my power button doesn't rattle at all.

Sent from my Nexus 5
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

whatever exactly it is that's rattling, it rattles. don't need to get into semantics. it shouldn't rattle, period. guess i'm a little spoiled coming from the s4.. and every other phone i've ever owned.

I suspect what you are really hearing is the rear camera. If you watch the video posted above, you can see that the camera contains floating parts which, when tapped, do indeed make a bit of a rattle.

Pretty hard to avoid, in my opinion...
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

it's the power button/cover. i can jiggle it around with my finger and it makes the same noise. it's that loose.

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Mine does not rattle at all. It is very pleasantly clicky actually.
    Thanked by:
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    Mine does not rattle at all. It is very pleasantly clicky actually.
    good to know, thanks.

Yes. This is what I am thinking as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    I suspect what you are really hearing is the rear camera. If you watch the video posted above, you can see that the camera contains floating parts which, when tapped, do indeed make a bit of a rattle.

Pretty hard to avoid, in my opinion...

Mine only rattles when I shake my phone, and I use a case so it doesn't really bother me. I just think that its a tolerance thing with the plastic button

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by YouTube View Post
    I think almost everyone's power button on the Nexus 5 rattles. It doesn't bother me.
    The satisfying click it makes when I press it makes up for the rattling
    No there is zero play in my ceramic buttons even if you try to wiggle it. I think LG got some buttons that were undersized since ceramic could shrink during manufacturing. There are few people posting about this issue after the first batch of N5's were released, so I think they got rid of the quality issue for the most part.

I figure I'll just let the rattle go and right before my 1 year warranty is up I will get a new one then sell it as new in box for the Nexus 6 -
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    No there is zero play in my ceramic buttons even if you try to wiggle it. I think LG got some buttons that were undersized since ceramic could shrink during manufacturing. There are few people posting about this issue after the first batch of N5's were released, so I think they got rid of the quality issue for the most part.
    good to know thanks. my first n5 def had a LOT of play in the power button, hopefully the next one they send will be less so

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaicShock View Post
    I figure I'll just let the rattle go and right before my 1 year warranty is up I will get a new one then sell it as new in box for the Nexus 6 -
    Careful, you wait too long, Google will drop the price and you won't get the most out of your scheme .
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

for those whose power buttons aren't loose, what is your build number? Or, are you guys thinking this is just a random manufacturing thing
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

getting the nexus5 today - fingers crossed that the power button isn't loose and the speaker holes are larger
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast