Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Chetan Takyar
  • 2 Post By Fairclough
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    Okay, this is pretty simple. I am curious to see what people's results are when you enable ART. Compare battery life (screenshots are welcome), launch times, boot times, bugs, etc. Overall do you think it was worth it to run ART as it is experimental (i.e. were the benefits worth the bugs - or did you not experience any)? Let us know!
  2. #2  

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    Speed and battery. Both are amazing.

    Posted via Android Central App
    PostPrePlus likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    Haven't hit a bug with art yet.

    - Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
    madlaw1071 and PostPrePlus like this.
  4. #4  
    EviI's Avatar

    Posts
    236 Posts
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4.2 KitKat

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    I have switched to ART. I think the 2 major changes I have noticed are:
    • Battery life
    • Quicker opening & loading of apps
  5. #5  

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    I should a battery life test soon.

    - Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
  6. #6  
    JeffDenver's Avatar

    Posts
    2,185 Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    Speed is the thing I noticed. Anything that involves accessing graphics seems to work a lot faster. Tiles display faster in Maps for example. Gallery images come up much quicker. Screen transitions seem faster and smoother.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    I should a battery life test soon.

    - Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    I am very interested in a more scientific test on battery life (screenshots comparing the two). Depending on how much it adds I may want to give it a try.

    I read the that the "Okay Google" feature doesn't work well on ART. Anyone tried it?

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

    -Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
  8. #8  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    I am very interested in a more scientific test on battery life (screenshots comparing the two). Depending on how much it adds I may want to give it a try.

    I read the that the "Okay Google" feature doesn't work well on ART. Anyone tried it?

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I switched to ART runtime the first day I got the phone and have had no issues of any kind. OK Google works with no problems that I'm aware of, and I use it daily to perform hands-free calling and searches. I'd be surprised if native apps had issues with ART runtime as it's been in development for 2 years, and is soon slated to replace Dalvik.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    I just enabled it. Not seeing any big improvements right off the bat but we'll see.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

    -Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
  10. #10  

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    the only drawback i've found to ART is whatsapp has not been updated for it...
  11. #11  

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    how do you run ART?
  12. #12  

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    Quote Originally Posted by kyoo View Post
    how do you run ART?
    Settings, Developer Options (which appear after hitting the build number in the about phone menu 7 or so times), select runtime, use ART

    I am still running Dalvik. I think it takes several minutes to switch over, right?
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    Settings, Developer Options (which appear after hitting the build number in the about phone menu 7 or so times), select runtime, use ART

    I am still running Dalvik. I think it takes several minutes to switch over, right?
    Took 5 - 10 minutes for a total of 112 apps (only 10ish being downloaded by me).

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

    -Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
    Thanked by:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    I have noticed that apps don't get shoved out of memory as fast as they used to. Not sure if it's just the speed at which they open or ART handles memory better. Any ideas?

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

    -Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
  15. #15  

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    running art now too!!! havent used the phone long enough to really know
  16. #16  
    pbc
    pbc is offline
    pbc's Avatar

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    Quote Originally Posted by pespule View Post
    the only drawback i've found to ART is whatsapp has not been updated for it...
    Whatsapp works fine at my end from what I can tell. Just switched over to Art. Last time (before 4.4.2) it would crash on loading it. But good to go now.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    My replacement got here and I realized I was actually annoyed by a couple of slowdowns, namely the multitasker as it comes stock on Dalvik. I enabled ART and the device feels smooth as butter again.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

    -Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
  18. #18  

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    With 4.4.2 using ART that was 53 hours up-time on one charge with 12% of the N5's battery left. I know I wasn't getting this type of uptime with my normal use before 4.4.2 and flipping on ART.

    ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More-nexus-5-bat-1-screen-53h.jpgART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More-nexus-5-bat-2-screen-53h.jpg

    I am between a light to moderate user that picks up the phone about 40 to 60 times a day to checkout text, email or sports score. This is my normal use with voice calls, texting, email, YouTube, Facebook, checking sports scores and some streaming music to my new LG Tone+ bluetooth headset. Also, I don't play games on my N5.
    Thanked by 2:
  19. #19  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    With 4.4.2 using ART that was 53 hours up-time on one charge with 12% of the N5's battery left. I know I wasn't getting this type of uptime with my normal use before 4.4.2 and flipping on ART.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nexus 5 Bat 1 Screen 53H.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	97246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nexus 5 Bat 2 Screen 53H.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	97247

    I am between a light to moderate user that picks up the phone about 40 to 60 times a day to checkout text, email or sports score. This is my normal use with voice calls, texting, email, YouTube, Facebook, checking sports scores and some streaming music to my new LG Tone+ bluetooth headset. Also, I don't play games on my N5.
    Hmmmm, I thought the battery life is poor on the N5? Pretty amazing! The best I've managed so far is 28 hours, with 19% left. Maybe the reason some don't get great battery life is because they spend hours on FB. I just got off a plane where the person next to me paid for WiFi, then spent 4 continuous hours on FB!! Dazzling.
    Thanked by:
  20. #20  

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    What was your screen-on time for those two days? That looks pretty impressive regardless.

    Also, in general, what are the drawbacks to using ART? Are there any? Does it use up more memory? It sounds like despite whatever drawbacks there are, it's still a net positive move.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    Quote Originally Posted by flick0416 View Post
    What was your screen-on time for those two days? That looks pretty impressive regardless.

    Also, in general, what are the drawbacks to using ART? Are there any? Does it use up more memory? It sounds like despite whatever drawbacks there are, it's still a net positive move.
    I have no clue how long Screen ON was on since a lot of my times was to read a short Text message or to look at a NFL score and stats on Sunday and put it back in my pocket at the Sports Bar watching all the games. I pick up my phone between 40 to 60 times a day. When the Notification light is on I always check it. During that 53 hours I had voice calls and even streamed music and ordered a Pizza from Popa John's App. Last night after I made that screen shot I had a 45 minute phone call and the battery chart showed Zero Screen ON time for that phone call. I also streamed music to my bluetooth headset and it had zero screen time. I use my Nexus 5 as my portable device and it isn't my only device when I am home or at work.

    I have found zero drawbacks to using ART since I turned it on just after the 4.2.2 update. I have read that App are like 5% larger that uses your storage.

    Flick0416 this next statement isn't pointed at you. I keep getting the feeling that some people that don't own a Nexus 5 only want stats posted of it with a POWER RUN-DOWN test so they can pretend the Nexus 5 has a weak battery. I am between a light to moderate user that picks up the phone about 40 to 60 times a day to checkout text, email or sports score. Right now I am at 36 hours at 68% of my battery since I charged it. This is my normal use.
    Last edited by Shilohcane; 12-18-2013 at 10:18 AM.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    Quote Originally Posted by flick0416 View Post
    What was your screen-on time for those two days? That looks pretty impressive regardless.

    Also, in general, what are the drawbacks to using ART? Are there any? Does it use up more memory? It sounds like despite whatever drawbacks there are, it's still a net positive move.
    The only bug I have noticed is IMDB is a bit sluggish and likes to crash. Everything else is as smooth as butter.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

    -Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
  23. #23  

    Default Re: ART vs Dalvik Screenshots, Experiences, Stats, and More

    Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    I have no clue how long Screen ON was on since a lot of my times was to read a short Text message or to look at a NFL score and stats on Sunday and put it back in my pocket at the Sports Bar watching all the games. I pick up my phone between 40 to 60 times a day. When the Notification light is on I always check it. During that 53 hours I had voice calls and even streamed music and ordered a Pizza from Popa John's App. Last night after I made that screen shot I had a 45 minute phone call and the battery chart showed Zero Screen ON time for that phone call. I also streamed music to my bluetooth headset and it had zero screen time. I use my Nexus 5 as my portable device and it isn't my only device when I am home or at work.

    I have found zero drawbacks to using ART since I turned it on just after the 4.2.2 update. I have read that App are like 5% larger that uses your storage.

    Flick0416 this next statement isn't pointed at you. I keep getting the feeling that some people that don't own a Nexus 5 only want stats posted of it with a POWER RUN-DOWN test so they can pretend the Nexus 5 has a weak battery. I am between a light to moderate user that picks up the phone about 40 to 60 times a day to checkout text, email or sports score. Right now I am at 36 hours at 68% of my battery since I charged it. This is my normal use.
    In Settings > Battery (the screenshot you posted), if you tap on "Screen" it will show you how long your screen was on. I rarely go above 2 hours of screen-on time for a 24-hour period, so I get really good battery life too.

Similar Threads

  1. Group messaging issue between S4 and iPhones
    By jaminicole in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-22-2014, 01:10 PM
  2. Problem with WiFi and phone calls/text
    By breakmedown in forum AT&T LG G2
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-31-2013, 02:29 PM
  3. Nova Launcher vs Apex Launcher
    By clankfu in forum Moto X
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-29-2013, 04:18 PM
  4. tired, hungry and confused newbie here
    By nrokdrums in forum Introductions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-19-2013, 07:52 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-13-2013, 08:42 AM

Posting Permissions

B